The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 1, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

56 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Other than Tofu, we will be regretting those contracts as soon as starting next season or so. 

JB made the wrong call to keep Jake over Tofu.

well I was under the impression that Tofu would be signed once Marky signed with Flames.Especially since we gave up Madden

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Problem is even if we have money and cap space, I am a bit hesitant on who Benning signs. I dont want another Myers or Eriksson, rather just re-sign our key players and sign our prospects lile Podkolzin and Tryamkin. If there is a viable trade maybe get some help via trades. Signing FAs is not Bennings strong suit and thats how we got into this mess in the first place.

So isn't that part of his job is signings and we are afraid of him doing it? It's pretty bad if he is terrible at one part of his job and is allowed to keep it. Its a pretty big part of the job too. So your handicapping yourselves by not being able to make good free agent decisions. Its something that really can't be overlooked but for whatever reason it is.

4 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

well I was under the impression that Tofu would be signed once Marky signed with Flames.Especially since we gave up Madden

Yeah. Benning pretty much has nothing to share for Madden. 

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No thank you. Unless it's Eriksson and Jake for Bennett and a 2nd rounder coming back. 

1 for 1 doesn't make sense to me either. Getting rid of one problem only to take on another one? 

Bennett in my opinion has regressed since his rookie year where he posted 36 points. He has come nowhere near that since. He's on a decline statistically. I'm not sure what would change that. Nothing over the last 7 years would indicate he would be making a turnaround in that regard (his points). 

Jake on the other hand, isn't the player we hoped for when he was drafted six overall. But he's also made some strides year to year - albeit very small incremental progress - but it's progress. and i'd much rather have that than a player who is regressing year after year, and is only 24 years old. 

7 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

We sure have lowered our standards and expectations for this team if this is what fans are ok with. 51 years and counting. We aren't even talking cup contenders yet. We are talking about grabbing one of the last playoff spots. That was his plan when he came in 7 years ago? Barely making the playoffs?

Indeed the rebuild started later than I would have wanted and I wonder if that was the GM's call? I wanted to start in 2013 but so many thought the team had one final push with the twins. Frankly I lost faith in the league from over that stretch and I suspect most of the players did as well and resigned to the business we call NHL.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

So you think Benning should get two more years to improve this team? That's almost ten years. Craziness!!!

ten years and most of it would be spent as one of the worst in the league 

Edited by Silky mitts

On Toffoli.

Regardless of the fact that I agree between Jake and Toffoli I would prefer to have Toffoli. Current cap space = $0 as I understand it Caucks had to be under the cap pre putting Ferland on LTIR to begin the season. Soooooo Jake $2.55 Toffoli $4.25 not sure how to make the math work? 

2 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

ten years and most of it would be spent as one of the worst in the league 

To be fair. We don't know the reasons for why there was so much confusion. 

Why was Torts hired? Was that actually Benning's choice of coach? Or was there some ownership meddling there? I wouldn't be surprised if Aquilini had some say to bring Torts to the organization, and Benning, to me at least, seems like a yes man. The team started to make a change in direction when they started sucking, and received higher draft picks as a result of that. Not completely tanking (sigh...), but we were fortunate enough to get Pettersson and Hughes where we did (5th and 7th), and the nucleus started forming (Boeser also at #23). 

2 minutes ago, Whalespray said:

On Toffoli.

Regardless of the fact that I agree between Jake and Toffoli I would prefer to have Toffoli. Current cap space = $0 as I understand it Caucks had to be under the cap pre putting Ferland on LTIR to begin the season. Soooooo Jake $2.55 Toffoli $4.25 not sure how to make the math work? 

I think Benning tried. Really tried to move cap out and get some cap space to sign the players he felt would improve the team. There just weren't any takers, and plus, COVID. Financially so many teams are strapped even if the owners are billionaires. They didn't become billionaires by spending foolishly. In a normal off-season and year, I think Benning would've bought out Brandon Sutter, and would have probably been able to move out some players to sign Toffoli. 

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

To be fair. We don't know the reasons for why there was so much confusion. 

Why was Torts hired? Was that actually Benning's choice of coach? Or was there some ownership meddling there? I wouldn't be surprised if Aquilini had some say to bring Torts to the organization, and Benning, to me at least, seems like a yes man. The team started to make a change in direction when they started sucking, and received higher draft picks as a result of that. Not completely tanking (sigh...), but we were fortunate enough to get Pettersson and Hughes where we did (5th and 7th), and the nucleus started forming (Boeser also at #23). 

Being a yes man is a big problem especially when making trades or signing players. It's why they have so much money tied into bad players and why we have given too much up in trades without retaining the players we trade for, well at least one player.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Jake may not return a 2nd rounder alone

Really? A guy who scored 18 goals last year, is only 24, is fast as the wind wouldn't be able to fetch a middle to late second rounder, even? 

I think if he doesn't produce, he'll eventually see himself out of Vancouver. Unfortunately, I think management feels like Jake's got a lot more to give, but for whatever reason, he's not giving it. Is it the coaching staff? Is it him? Combination of both? Could Gerard Gallant get more out of Virtanen? 

You know what would be hilarious. If Jake was traded to the Golden Knights, and he thrives there. 

Would be just Canuck luck, wouldn't it? Trade a player, and then they flourish at their new destination. 

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Being a yes man is a big problem especially when making trades or signing players. It's why they have so much money tied into bad players and why we have given too much up in trades without retaining the players we trade for, well at least one player.

Well, that's kind of the person I feel Benning is. He's really such a nice man. Maybe too nice to be a GM.