The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 1, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

7 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Imagine calling Gillis a poor gm. The most successful general manger we ever had with the best teams we ever had.

he was handed the sedins and core failed at getting cup and  handcuffed our cap with no prospects at least benning has got our drafting sorted out

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, BarnBurner said:

You win. You're just way too clever for me. Beat it.

ur funny

you quoted me... look a little farther up the thread

you nan out a gas before you even explained Beach baby, baby

4 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am tired of hearing from Green how good other teams are. I wish he would just say we need to fix the way we play in our own end.

I always said it all along Green and this coaching staff lacks ability to adjust. It's like there constantly trying to force the same formula which doesn't work. Constantly forcing/believing 2+2=5 doesn't lead to 4 eventually. Really stubborn coaching staff. Change this system and stop being stubborn you had all this time since the vegas series which was plagued by odd man rushes turnover to adjust and improvise.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

I always said it all along Green and this coaching staff lacks ability to adjust. It's like there constantly trying to force the same formula which doesn't work. Constantly forcing/believing 2+2=5 doesn't lead to 4 eventually. Really stubborn coaching staff. Change this system and stop being stubborn you had all this time since the vegas series which was plagued by odd man rushes turnover to adjust and improvise.

I liked the pics sportsnet was using of Greener tonight

I think they are getting ready to use it when he gets fired

I said to myself when we played Ottawa that the Sens probably saved Green his job til the end of the season... big 3 game winning streak.

But in reality I think the team with no coach could probably beat the Sen

And I wonder how good this team could be with a great coach

Edited by lmm

34 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Two good years of Markstrom isn't worth the risk of destroying our cap structure with a Luongo contract.  That trade alone is reason enough for us to hope another owner is stupid enough to hire Gillis.

How is our cap structure destroyed? That's a massive overstatement.

Gillis opened up the gates for the greatest stretch in franchise history. His drafting is what set him back. The Luongo/Schneider situations turned out to be positives for us, so I think it's a massive stretch to say trading Luongo destroyed us.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, lmm said:

I liked the pics sportsnet was using of Greener tonight

I think they are getting ready to use it when he gets fired

I said to myself when we played Ottawa that the Sens probably saved Green his job til the end of the season... big 3 game winning streak.

But in reality I think the team with no coach could probably beat the Sen

And I wonder how good this team could be with a great coach

Yes exactly Sens aren't a good team so made Green look good. The dump and chase and collapsing in our zone implementation is the big problem along with AHL calibre coach in Green. Just look at his AHL record nothing impressive

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

How can this loss be Green's fault?  Last game he's a great coach and now he can't adjust .....   The team played like crap against a very good team (a Stanley Cup contender - in my mind).  The Canadiens have added a bunch of players who are going to push that team to the next level.  We're not there yet as I said from the beginning of the season.  Maybe next year but probably in two years.

At the beginning of the season, I predicted that we would not make the playoffs and I'm not changing my prediction.  The team isn't quite good enough and I hope I'm wrong because I'm a long time Canucks fan.  The Winnipeg game was, by far, their best game of the season.  I was hoping we'd build on that.  Tonight, the coach didn't turn over the puck umteen dozen times.  Sheesh.  This loss is solely on the players and especially the 649 line.  We had a Vezina goalie contender last year and this year we have above average goaltending but we'll need more than that to make the playoffs in this tough Canadian division.  

Beagle, Motte and MacEwan looked pretty good but the rest of the team played poorly.  Virtanen looked OK and at least he had a few hits.  I think this road trip will give us a really good idea of where we rank in the Division.  The Canadiens and the Leafs are at another level and I don't think any of the other Canadian teams will catch them.  Regardless, I will cheer my Canucks on as always.  

4 minutes ago, PositionOfPower said:

Yes exactly Sens aren't a good team so made Green look good. The dump and chase and collapsing in our zone implementation is the big problem along with AHL calibre coach in Green. Just look at his AHL record nothing impressive

Don't get why we hired this guy in the first place. 

Travis Green AHL record: 155-110 (50% win %)

Jon Cooper AHL record: 133-62 (70% win. %)

2 minutes ago, sockeye said:

How can this loss be Green's fault?  Last game he's a great coach and now he can't adjust .....   The team played like crap against a very good team (a Stanley Cup contender - in my mind).  The Canadiens have added a bunch of players who are going to push that team to the next level.  We're not there yet as I said from the beginning of the season.  Maybe next year but probably in two years.

At the beginning of the season, I predicted that we would not make the playoffs and I'm not changing my prediction.  The team isn't quite good enough and I hope I'm wrong because I'm a long time Canucks fan.  The Winnipeg game was, by far, their best game of the season.  I was hoping we'd build on that.  Tonight, the coach didn't turn over the puck umteen dozen times.  Sheesh.  This loss is solely on the players and especially the 649 line.  We had a Vezina goalie contender last year and this year we have above average goaltending but we'll need more than that to make the playoffs in this tough Canadian division.  

Beagle, Motte and MacEwan looked pretty good but the rest of the team played poorly.  Virtanen looked OK and at least he had a few hits.  I think this road trip will give us a really good idea of where we rank in the Division.  The Canadiens and the Leafs are at another level and I don't think any of the other Canadian teams will catch them.  Regardless, I will cheer my Canucks on as always.  

Omg Omg~~~ the mighty Sens and Jets (1 game with them) very scary teams

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Gillis had an easy out in a buyout and didn't use it.  Any GM with a functioning brain would have realised trading him would cripple the franchise at some point in the future.  Gillis either was too stupid to realise it or too stupid to care.  Either way, his incompetence has been a handicap to the team long since he got fired.

50 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Two good years of Markstrom isn't worth the risk of destroying our cap structure with a Luongo contract.  That trade alone is reason enough for us to hope anothe rowner is stupid enough to hire Gillis.

Just a complete and utter joke. Embarrassing, to be honest.

For Gillis to use a compliance buyout on Luongo, Aquilini would have had to write a ~$27 million (2013) or ~$23 million (2014) cheque. You think that was in any way realistic? "Easy out" my behind. And before you say "well then Gillis shouldn't have signed that contract in the first place"...

Instead of just adding language into the CBA that prevented teams from signing similar contracts, the NHL instituted a new rule that retroactively penalized teams that benefited from contracts like Luongo’s. Backdiving deals like Luongo’s would be hit with a salary cap penalty equivalent to the amount they benefited from the lower cap hit.

$3M x 3Y "handicaps" the team? How about the Gagner/Spooner buyout? Or the boat anchor that is Eriksson's contract? If the Luongo recapture makes Gillis "incompetent", what does that make Benning?

Is 3x3 of dead cap on the books ideal? Of course not. But Benning also got one of the best goalies in the league for it at the same time. "Just two years" is on Benning, not on Gillis. That's an asset that Benning let walk for nothing.

Just ridiculous.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Wow. The trolls really do come out after a loss. You guys are pathetic. You should be ashamed. But that's probably beyond you. You wouldn't even know what that is or how it would feel. 

It aint the losses cuz losses are part of the game, it's the same idiotic manner in which we do (constant turnovers, odd man rushes, consecutive goals in quick order). 

21 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

Wow. The trolls really do come out after a loss. You guys are pathetic. You should be ashamed. But that's probably beyond you. You wouldn't even know what that is or how it would feel. 

I don't think there are any trolls here per-se. I am pretty sure people in a Canucks forums wants nothing but the Canucks to succeed.

That said this is a wake up call for the team. Beating Ottawa 3 games straight is fine and dandy but what really matters is how they stack up against better teams. And so, far it's not looking good and, at this rate, I see Vancouver finishing 6th in the North Division. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1