The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Are you serious?  Blow up the team! Trade everybody! Fire everybody! Sell the franchise! Demolish Rogers Arena!

Its the only way Out of this mess! :P

I mean why not, Seattle right around the corner and based on history they are going to the finals next year!

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

I mean why not, Seattle right around the corner and based on history they are going to the finals next year!

Nah, they just need a new coach. Coaches have a shelf life and Greens gone stale. His systems don't work against aggressive teams and the leauge has figured it out. We'll continue to be basement dwellers until Green et al are replaced. I just hope it happens before Petterson, Hughes, Miller, and Boeser decide to walk.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

yeah body didnt like something that were in those pills, drug reaction

Next time you visit your doc, Which you should schedule soon..get a prescription for an epipen ..It could be life threatening, I would know. Been there.

• Vintage 1

Jim benning is a complete idiot for not taking care of his own guys first this off season. 

100% needs to lose his job. I've never been on the fire Benning train before now. The Toffoli screw up is enough to show he isn't right for the job overall.  

U won't find a better deal then what Toffoli signed for, and he wanted to stay here.  We also lost a good prospect in bringing him here for 12 games.  Absolute joke.

That's firing material. 

Edited by cuporbust

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Boesers qualifying offer is 7.5 mill after next season.

Either qualify him at 7.5 or he goes Ufa

Qualifying offers lapse after about 2 weeks.  So unless he signs it within that time frame they’ll be negotiating a contract.

This year the qualifying offer is due by 26 July and players have between 28 July and 6 August to sign it.  Teams can extend the deadline but in Boeser’s case it’s highly unlikely.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Jim benning is a complete idiot for not taking care of his own guys first this off season. 

100% needs to lose his job. I've never been on the fire Benning train before now. The Toffoli screw up is enough to show he isn't right for the job overall.  

U won't find a better deal then what Toffoli signed for, and he wanted to stay here.  We also lost a good prospect in bringing him here for 12 games.  Absolute joke.

That's firing material. 

Losing Toffoli sucks but he knows our systems and has been right place at right time for couple. He's a good player no doubt.I guess you can also fault the other 29 GM's for not signing him too? I get it sucks but he's got 1 goal in all his other contests. Hoglander is here and Podkolzin is on his way. At least on the bright side all our cap problems are over after next season. Sucks not to have made better use of Hughes and Petey's ELC's but if it wasn't for Benning, luck and our scouts we wouldn't have them

• Vintage 1

Benning cut bait on 3 amazing veterans in Marky, Tanev and Toffoli in thinking that his young stars would take over the team.  Besides Horvat, Boeser and Demko showing flashes of great play this team has no consistency of good play.  Benning kept the wrong veterans (based on poor contracts) to support his young core and the kids don’t look ready to lead.  Unfortunately Schmidt and Hamonic have been a disaster on defence. Schmidt has especially been very disappointing.  I thought on paper our defence looked much improved.  I think Tanev and Marky were under appreciated.  One step forward and two steps back.  Sigh..... the life of a Canucks fan!

Having Tofu sign with Montreal and light us up like he has is not a good look on JB or TG for that matter,I mean for f%@# sake Green knows what he brings can’t even get a plan together to limit his effectiveness,players too,they all know what he can bring but do nothing.Piss poor effort from top to bottom,Fu@&ing embarrassing the way we let Tofu walking all over us,he’s good but not that good.Same with the the Habs they’re a good team but we make them look like world beaters.This crap needs to stop and if it doesn’t real soon bye bye Green.F@#kthey way were playin next time we play Cowtown,Tanev will get a hatty.Get your heads out of your asses guys it’s a short season.

rant over

GO CANUCKS!!!!

As much as this team misses tanev and Markstrom I would still not match those contracts they got

toffolli I was livid at the time and now I’m just...disappointed 

No one was taking on any money and ownership wasn’t giving him the green light for buy outs so his hands were tied. 

The performance of this team is 100% on the players. This has nothing to do with coaching. Green isn’t telling his guys to force plays and hold on to the puck for too long. 

4 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Benning cut bait on 3 amazing veterans in Marky, Tanev and Toffoli in thinking that his young stars would take over the team.  Besides Horvat, Boeser and Demko showing flashes of great play this team has no consistency of good play.  Benning kept the wrong veterans (based on poor contracts) to support his young core and the kids don’t look ready to lead.  Unfortunately Schmidt and Hamonic have been a disaster on defence. Schmidt has especially been very disappointing.  I thought on paper our defence looked much improved.  I think Tanev and Marky were under appreciated.  One step forward and two steps back.  Sigh..... the life of a Canucks fan!

Yeah. Unfortunate, I think Benning was in a hard position. Had he kept those players, it would have been much the same. But your right. The young players on this team do not seem ready to lead, and Benning may have badly misread his youthful core. Even Horvat is still trying to figure out how to be a captain. I feel like this season is our season where we will take a step back, but next season, we may take several steps forward. While this may suck for us fans, it is a necessary step for the young core to gain experience and fight through. The core of the Sedins, Burr, Kes, etc., took many years before they entered into an era where they were contenders, and not pretenders. 

To ask this young core to already be where the Sedins and their core was, this early is, in my opinion, asking too much. I get it. Horvat is already 25 years old, but the best players on this team are still in their early twenties (Petey and Hughes). I'm not sure what's going on with Miller this season - head might not be in the right place. Pettersson doesn't even look right even though he scored a goal. When I was listening to the radio, they were saying that his body language doesn't seem to be right. So not sure what it is. Could he be unhappy because management had let Markström, Tanev and Toffoli go? Toffoli is absolutely haunting this team, and could be the reason that the Canucks miss the playoffs, which in my opinion, would cost Benning and his team their jobs. Green might survive, depending on who the incoming GM would be. 

Schmidt hasn't been great, and I don't think it's a systems thing. Poor guy. Going from a contending team, to a team that is struggling like hell. Well, at least he can be glad he wasn't traded to Ottawa :P 

If the season continues to go this way, I say play the youth and give them as much experience as much as possible to make a push for the playoffs. If they miss, they miss. The youth gain experience for next season. Stronger (hopefully) to battle through adversity (since they're currently doing that early this season) mentally, and hopefully with much more hunger to win come next season. Plus, if we miss the playoffs, we have a chance at another high pick. Might as well dismiss Benning after the draft, so that we have good prospects coming into the pipeline. 

To be honest. I'm not sure if Benning will get another GM job if he loses this one. He's had 7-8 years now at establishing his core - this is his team, and it currently does not look very good. Is it the mix of players that aren't right? I realize that this isn't the same group that pushed hard in the postseason, and brought Vegas to a game 7. But still. I think Hughes' defensive woes have a lot to do with the fact that he didn't really have to focus on that part of his game with Tanev as his D partner. Now that he doesn't have a Tanev like player, he's forced to be more defensive. Hughes is an offensive defenseman, not a defensive defenseman. He needs a Tanev like partner. 

I don't think Green is the problem. But I don't like his assistants in Brown and Baumer. I think those guys have to go.