The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

56 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Jim benning is a complete idiot for not taking care of his own guys first this off season. 

100% needs to lose his job. I've never been on the fire Benning train before now. The Toffoli screw up is enough to show he isn't right for the job overall.  

U won't find a better deal then what Toffoli signed for, and he wanted to stay here.  We also lost a good prospect in bringing him here for 12 games.  Absolute joke.

That's firing material. 

What makes you think FA didn't tighten the purse strings preventing a buyout?  

And you do remember when the Canucks traded for TT that was before Covid right?  

Sure, if JB didn't sign a few of the more onerous contracts they would have cap space, but you could also say no one predicted a flat cap, luongo recapture etc.  

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Sure, if JB didn't sign a few of the more onerous contracts they would have cap space, but you could also say no one predicted a flat cap, luongo recapture etc.  

Yeah, some of those things are out of his control for sure. I don't blame Benning for that. 

But what he could have controlled was some of the contracts he handed out, that has cuffed this team. Even if we did have cap space, I would not have wanted to resign Markström at the price Calgary signed him for (nor the term). I said before that we needed to keep Demko, I still believe that despite the loss tonight (wasn't on him, really). 

But Tanev probably should have been kept to partner with Hughes as he enters into his second year (sophomore jinx?). 

And Toffoli, my gawd, 8 goals out of the 9 he's scored is on us. Talk about having a team's number. Could he have scored those 9 goals for us? Yes. I don't know the details obviously of why he wasn't offered a contract (reportedly). But if that's true, then why? He was a natural and solid fit on Bo's wing. Could you imagine having Toffoli AND Höglander on Horvat's wings right now? Our top six (on paper at least) would have been solidified. 

But yea, like you say, the Luongo penalty, Eriksson contract, Beagle, Sutter, Baertschi, has in many ways cuffed this team. I think pre-pandemic, we would most likely have paid for Toffoli to be kept in Vancouver, and bought out Sutter. Maybe even had trade partners for Beagle and for his services. But COVID has hit the world of sports hard. Owners are bleeding. Gotta feel sorry for them y'know (sarcasm here....:lol:

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I've been defending JB with the same logic for a while. Truth is , it's been 50 years of ultimately losing now. I'm tired . Lol

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm actually surprised Virtanen didn't play tonight though.

Kinda wondered if they might be working out a trade, & didn't want to risk injury.

As we all saw, once Lazy Jake is out of the lineup our team always plays better - maybe not enough to win tonight but better than yesterdays shalacking we took with Jake floating around.  I was hoping to see him smarten up this year after a slight improvement last year - but I wasn't holding my breath and good thing I wasn't.  His numbers almost up.

6 hours ago, DeNiro said:

It would be nice to see some more accountability from Green.

He does seem to make excuses and sugar coat things a little too much.

I would like to see us with a couple new assistants before Green gets the axe. I think he felt he owed Baumer but it’s clear that he’s in over his head. And Browns work speaks for itself. There’s no way this team should have a power play this poor with their personnel.

****************POST OF THE MONTH*************

6 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't know if anyone is watching this game, but if Edmonton would consider Pulju for Virtanen I'd do it yesterday. 

lazy Jake would fetch no more than a third round pick or third liner at this point.  No matter, the way he hasn't been playing leaves me to strongly believe he's done - unless he miraculously gets his act together in a hurry!  Sad situation!

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thoughts of the game..................

#1................Thank god for Thatcher Demko, Thatcher played a great game, and it would have been an even worst score without him

#2................Hard to gauge the team, Montreal is obviously a better team, but that does not mean we are the worst team. IMO, we are a team in transition, with a young core, and we are banking on some of them to play above their pay grade. Yes, we are better than Ottawa, probably even with Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Calgary, and probably worst than Toronto. This is a season unlike any other, and we have not played Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, or Winnipeg that many times ever. Now we are getting a better undrstanding of where we are generally.

3....................Keep in mind that Miller had a career year, last year, and Pettersson and Hughes may have done the same. So, that in its self may have been enough for us to take that step back, as players return back to more normal play.

4. Keep in mind we have 3 rookies and several sophomores, playing in key roles, Keep in mind our average play last year until the playoffs.

5. Keep in mind of the players lost collectively from last year. (aka Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom) with honorable mention Stecher, and Leivo (albeit injured)

6. Team preparation is the coaches responsibility, special teams is the coaches responsibility, it is the players responsibility to execute the game plan. I would say it failed on all counts over the 5 games against Montreal. Stronger team, better execution, better game plan.

7. Not a time to make rash decisions........stay the course, at least until you play everybody i a series, it might be too late by then for this season, but the truth is, no trade of players that are expendable, will make us any better, unless you are willing to move players that are in our young core. Moving either Gaudette or Virtanen, will not change what we are today. (Keep in mind that our team was ranked as the 4th best core under 25 years of age) Keep our 1st and 2nd round picks.

8. Everybody needs to work harder..................bottom line, lets move on. 

PS.......Don't expect any better results against Toronto. Lets just let this play out..................Let us just hope Benning is doing a great job of scouting this year

I think number 9 was chopped off somehow when you pressed "submit Reply".  let me add it in for you.

9. If 1 thru 8 fail. Fire JB, TG and especially all the special teams coaches.

You're welcome!

It's time for JT to start a kangaroo court in the locker room. Everybody plays everybody pays, money to go to charity or whatever. Everybody pays 100$ cash, a crisp 100$ bill for every turn over from now on. Worst turn over of the game pays double.

• Cheers 1

If we lost 3 games in a row.... 10-1, 9-1, 8-1

Green after game 1 “guys were tired tonight, good team over there”

Green after game 2 “much better effort tonight, guys battled hard, good team over there”

Green after game 3 “we are turning the corner, proud of the boys, good team over there”

thats our coach folks 

• Haha 1

The Canucks may appear to be playing “hard” but they were simply a step Or two behind Montreal majority of both games. Even when they got there they couldn’t fully recover the puck. 

Conversely every time Montreal rushed the Canucks puck carrier there would be a turnover. 

If Vancouver brought the same decision making from the Jets game to the Montreal series, we’d be sitting here winners of two  instead of lamenting our fortunes against them. 

Make no mistake though van has some major flaws in their game, and they have to realize that to improve. From the players to their coaching staff. For example  Miller in particular comes to mind. Is he playing injured or playing to get the coaching staff fired? Very disinterested during the 2 Montreal games.  By fault the coaching staff has acted less than aptly  and failed to improve our systems and adapt to Our systems to counter the oppositions systems. They completely neglected the first series against these guys, made no changes, and got the same results. INSANITY. 

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

As we all saw, once Lazy Jake is out of the lineup our team always plays better - maybe not enough to win tonight but better than yesterdays shalacking we took with Jake floating around.  I was hoping to see him smarten up this year after a slight improvement last year - but I wasn't holding my breath and good thing I wasn't.  His numbers almost up.

Did you watch the other game, the 4th line was the only one that was any good. JV & Beagle were our best players. If JV played like he did that night every night there wouldn’t be any complaints about him. The issue with the habs is not a JV issue 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, igorwasgreat said:

Miller signed with the Canucks as team on the cusp of entering the elite category, but mismanagement of assets has set that idea back a few years. I like his intensity 

Miller signed with TB, a team actually on the cusp of elite category (or already in it)....JB traded for him because they had their best regular season yet with him in the lineup, and couldn't afford to keep everyone.   

39 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Only a clueless coach would say his team is moving in the right direction after 2 losses in a row

Green accepts losing and then, what is even worse, spins it into a positive 

that creates and fosters a losing culture 

Fire Green 

Sounds just like the TG who got mad at the idea/questions of where they in the playoffs to gain "experience" - replying "we're here to win" etc.    TG comes across as someone who doesn't want to be infront of a camera, unlike a few other  "great coaches" out there, or from the past, just tolerates it as part of the job. 

We lost another game, this one a lot closer then some on here are making it out to be,  - move on. 

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Sounds just like the TG who got mad at the idea/questions of where they in the playoffs to gain "experience" - replying "we're here to win" etc.    TG comes across as someone who doesn't want to be infront of a camera, unlike a few other  "great coaches" out there, or from the past, just tolerates it as part of the job. 

We lost another game, this one a lot closer then some on here are making it out to be,  - move on. 

We would have been destroyed yet again had not been for Demko covering up our sins....just like our goalies did last tear 

We played a better game then the night before, but we still have serious structural issues that are easily exposed against a well structured team.

Green does his blender changing the line up consistently. I think its time to change the Asst coaching lineup.

Montreal has a 20 and 21 YO playing centre in the top 6 and they seem to be doing fine with a well structured system

Offensively we are as good on paper as n the ice- Good on Green

Defensively we are not even close to been the team we should be, and this isn't all on our D men. Our players are for the most part putting the work in but Its just a poorly structure system. Getting sick of Hughes, Myers, Schmidt, and even Edler been thrown under the bus for a system that doesn't support them nearly as well as it should.

Really think Baumers gotta go before its too late for starters

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1