The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

20 hours ago, Googlie said:

Good point.  Swap Hughes for Beezer for a game - at 6'2" he'll be a lot harder to separate from the puck.  Or Rathbone (although Montreal prolly isnt the team to throw him into for his debut game)

Barring injuries, it's going to be hard to get Michaelis a game, as he is likely Beagle or Sutter's replacement, and both are playing well and dominating the faceoff circle.  Same with Bailey - he is in that 3rd line winger mix along with Virtanen/Gaudette/Mcewen and Rousell 

Eriksson?  He might get a look if only for his defensive prowess, but most useful on one of the top 2 lines.  For sure. He is not an energy guy

Tyler Toffoli has only scored one goal against the rest of the NHL. I'm not anointing him the next Rocket Richard or anything. I bet he returns to TT pace against the rest of the teams.

8 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Thoughts of the game..................

#1................Thank god for Thatcher Demko, Thatcher played a great game, and it would have been an even worst score without him

#2................Hard to gauge the team, Montreal is obviously a better team, but that does not mean we are the worst team. IMO, we are a team in transition, with a young core, and we are banking on some of them to play above their pay grade. Yes, we are better than Ottawa, probably even with Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Calgary, and probably worst than Toronto. This is a season unlike any other, and we have not played Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, or Winnipeg that many times ever. Now we are getting a better undrstanding of where we are generally.

3....................Keep in mind that Miller had a career year, last year, and Pettersson and Hughes may have done the same. So, that in its self may have been enough for us to take that step back, as players return back to more normal play.

4. Keep in mind we have 3 rookies and several sophomores, playing in key roles, Keep in mind our average play last year until the playoffs.

5. Keep in mind of the players lost collectively from last year. (aka Toffoli, Tanev and Markstrom) with honorable mention Stecher, and Leivo (albeit injured)

6. Team preparation is the coaches responsibility, special teams is the coaches responsibility, it is the players responsibility to execute the game plan. I would say it failed on all counts over the 5 games against Montreal. Stronger team, better execution, better game plan.

7. Not a time to make rash decisions........stay the course, at least until you play everybody i a series, it might be too late by then for this season, but the truth is, no trade of players that are expendable, will make us any better, unless you are willing to move players that are in our young core. Moving either Gaudette or Virtanen, will not change what we are today. (Keep in mind that our team was ranked as the 4th best core under 25 years of age) Keep our 1st and 2nd round picks.

8. Everybody needs to work harder..................bottom line, lets move on. 

PS.......Don't expect any better results against Toronto. Lets just let this play out..................Let us just hope Benning is doing a great job of scouting this year

This is quite a bit of a stretch.

The 3 rookies in the lineup are Hoglander, Juolevi and Chatfield. Only Hogs is in a key role, OJ and Chatfield are #6-8 dmen.

And who are the "several" sophomores? Hughes and Rafferty are the only 2nd year players and Rafferty has played 1 game/13mins.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuck2288 said:

Only a clueless coach would say his team is moving in the right direction after 2 losses in a row

Green accepts losing and then, what is even worse, spins it into a positive 

that creates and fosters a losing culture 

Fire Green 

This is horrible logic.  Thinking you can see more than the  professional coaching staff from your couch is hilarious.  Not sure why people figure that we should win every game.  Both teams are trying every night, The game is fast and mistakes will be made by both sides.  Every given night one team will be more opportunistic than the other. 

I'm not happy the Canucks lost two more to Montreal either, but wanting to change the coaching staff and personnel of the team every time we lose more than four and a row is so counterproductive. Spend years building an exciting young only team to tear it down after a bad week? Smh

• Cheers 2

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yep, 4 games more than some teams plus they’ve already had 4 back to backs.

I don’t care what team it is, they’re gonna be tired after that gauntlet no matter how early on the season we are. I’m just glad we’ve avoided injuries for the most part (knock on wood).

We’ll see what some of those other teams do when they have to go through the same thing.

Yet we have won 6 games, 1 fewer than the league leaders at 7 games won

The glass is half - full !!

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Yet we have won 6 games, 1 fewer than the league leaders at 7 games won

The glass is half - full !!

And lost 7 in regulation. 1 fewer than the worst team in the league (OTT 8).

The consensus among a large # of pre-season predictions was that 65pts minimum was needed to get 4th in the North and make the playoffs.

A record of 30-21-5 is what would roughly be needed, give or take a few OTL's here or there. Which basically means the Canucks have already lost 1/3 of the regulation losses they can afford and its not even 1/4 way through the season. Life comes at you fast in a 56 game season.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

Did you watch the other game, the 4th line was the only one that was any good. JV & Beagle were our best players. If JV played like he did that night every night there wouldn’t be any complaints about him. The issue with the habs is not a JV issue 

Agree.

Doubt the guy watched.  It was obv Jake and our 4th line hustled and played well.

2 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

And lost 7 in regulation. 1 fewer than the worst team in the league (OTT 8).

The consensus among a large # of pre-season predictions was that 65pts minimum was needed to get 4th in the North and make the playoffs.

A record of 30-21-5 is what would roughly be needed, give or take a few OTL's here or there. Which basically means the Canucks have already lost 1/3 of the regulation losses they can afford and its not even 1/4 way through the season. Life comes at you fast in a 56 game season.

Ofc. You are right. - and with some more games being covid- postponed down south, The Hockeg Guy (Shannon's opinions are ones that I have a lot of time for) is forecasting  that winning % , not #, will determine who moves forward.  For sure some teams will not reach the 56 game mark. We have put ourselves behind the 8- ball

38 minutes ago, Samgagner'sface said:

This is horrible logic.  Thinking you can see more than the  professional coaching staff from your couch is hilarious.  Not sure why people figure that we should win every game.  Both teams are trying every night, The game is fast and mistakes will be made by both sides.  Every given night one team will be more opportunistic than the other. 

I'm not happy the Canucks lost two more to Montreal either, but wanting to change the coaching staff and personnel of the team every time we lose more than four and a row is so counterproductive. Spend years building an exciting young only team to tear it down after a bad week? Smh

Dude there are a lot of problems in that dressing room. Letting Toffoli, Tanev and Marky walk has killed the vibe in this team. Our PP is abysmal and our defence is turning the puck over in record numbers. If you don’t think there is a coaching issue/management issue you are on glue. Benning has been here 7 year, drafted some good prospects but at the end of the day he shat the bed when it came to asset management. All of these contracts to 30+ year old bottom 6 guys is finally biting us in the ass. This is worse hockey than the Willie D years. On top of all that Green can’t keep up with line matching and it’s getting picked apart by better and more experienced coaches. Baumgartner and Brown are both in way over their heads. There needs to be a regime change in order to make this team competitive again. Same song, same dance, same excuses night after night. You can’t even count the Ottawa games as good wins. New GM, new coaches will do wonders for this team. 

13 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

The Hockey Gods are trying to tell us that Benning needs to go.

Markstrom - 1st game against VAN and he shuts us out

Toffoli - 8 of his 9 goals this year are against VAN

The hockey gods are telling you that benning should have known about corona virus before it happened?

Or are the hockey gods telling you that we should have signed toffoli and markstrom and let Hughes or petey walk?

I'm dying to know 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

Screenshot_20210202-171346_Twitter.thumb.jpg.814f232c865c5ee230b096440c7fb3d9.jpg

I remember this quote as well and after seeing a handful games of him making lazy plays and bad body language. Hell even the gold clip of him mic’d up and screaming “£@€$... £@£$ me” as I think something really is causing him being disgruntled and that can effect a locker room and I believe it has. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

The hockey gods are telling you that benning should have known about corona virus before it happened?

Or are the hockey gods telling you that we should have signed toffoli and markstrom and let Hughes or petey walk?

I'm dying to know 

Are we blaming the Vid on Benning's mistakes?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

This is quite a bit of a stretch.

The 3 rookies in the lineup are Hoglander, Juolevi and Chatfield. Only Hogs is in a key role, OJ and Chatfield are #6-8 dmen.

And who are the "several" sophomores? Hughes and Rafferty are the only 2nd year players and Rafferty has played 1 game/13mins.

Demko and Gaudette aswell

1 hour ago, Samgagner'sface said:

It’s unfortunate you do not see the fundamental weaknesses in our game 

i get it, not everyone understands the game that well and many have not even played it at any level 

from your couch, it appears that we are putting in an “effort” and that is awesome. Perhaps the league can provide us with “effort medals”

in the meantime, as the preeminent hockey expert on this forum i will continue to highlight the absolute tire fire that Green and crew have implemented 

25 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I'm dying to know 

The flat cap hurt us a lot but the Loungo recapture killed us it cost us TT in my opinion and neither of those are Benning's fault. 

8 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

It was a mistake trading for toffoli?

I dunno...

We got to see that letting him go to free agency and not signing him shows the judgement of our management lol And it Lacks. 

I believed in Jake. But now he's letting me down and the seeing the potential of Toffo...hurts even more. 

Stecher was another loss.