The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

MTL plays VAN like they know they will win, high tempo, confident, on the attack

VAN plays MTL like they're trying not to lose, dumping the puck to safety often just to catch their breath 

this is not much different than  the peg beating us. and we finally beat them. it happens, sometimes some teams just have our number. i felt the Canucks played a better game last night, not perfect but better especially in the third. 

4 minutes ago, thrago said:

Huh? Gaudette was in College 2 years ago, so he was playing in the NHL and going to college? Demko was also a rookie last year.  Not sure where you got your info but its completely flawed.

If you ignore the first season each player played a few games in the NHL. They’re both in their 3rd season with the Canucks 

4 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

Did you watch the other game, the 4th line was the only one that was any good. JV & Beagle were our best players. If JV played like he did that night every night there wouldn’t be any complaints about him. The issue with the habs is not a JV issue 

jv best player on ice next game hes scratched  mindboggling how dumb our coach is

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

All true. My point stands that Benning saw Holtby and Schmidt as priorities over re-signing Toffoli. You can argue whether or not that was the correct thinking. But it’s undeniably true 

Look there was 4 players that Benning would have liked to sign,  Tofu, Tanev, Schmidt and Markstrom,  Loungo's recapture made it so he could only sign 2 instead of 3.  He had to have a Goalie so that's where Holtby comes in after Markstrom signed and in the meantime Tanev and Tofu signed elsewhere leaving Schmidt.  Without the Luongo Recapture we could have had Holtby, Tanev/Schmidt and Tofu, Potentially.  That doesn't mean it would happen as all those players where UFA's so they had a choice in the matter also, but the assumption was that Tofu and Tanev did want to stay.  As for Markstrom, Benning made the right choice IMO even if it does hurt us in the short term, which I think we all expected it to do.

12 minutes ago, thrago said:

Huh? Gaudette was in College 2 years ago, so he was playing in the NHL and going to college? Demko was also a rookie last year.  Not sure where you got your info but its completely flawed.

Adam Gaudette is the first one below, Demko is the second. You don't even know the players on the team you cheer for man. Sad.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

A couple of posters made a good points before in that the Canucks are playing not to lose instead of attacking which is an unsustainable formula for success. I know this team is better than what they are showing so far and it frustrates me to see them allowing other teams to dictate pace and frequently change momentum while they continuously play on their heels without any pushback. This team is going nowhere until they clean up the penalties, odd man rushes, shots given up, bad turnovers, and sloppy penalties play in their own end. At least when they were bad 2, 3, even 4 years ago they usually put in a full effort they just lacked talent and didn’t score a lot of goals. I also feel as soon as they get behind 2 goals they deflate, lose focus, and the game is written off. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, GritGrinder said:

Adam Gaudette is the first one below, Demko is the second. You don't even know the players on the team you cheer for man. Sad.

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

I stand corrected on Gaudette he has roughly 1.75 full seasons under his belt as for Demko's call-ups, sure he played some games in previous years but you need to play 35 games in a season to lose rookie status.  However you look at it these guys are not NHL veterans by any stretch of the imagination.  

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

I disagree about the available cap room:

Schmidt - 5.95M
Virtanen - 2.55M

vs

Tanev - 4.5M
Toffoli - 4.25M

We probably could have added a pick instead of spending one, and still been ahead.

tanev is not worth 4.5 mill for 4 more yrs maybe a one yr deal   but 4 no thanks guys not that good  no offense no hitting plus injury prone only a matter of time 

Alright, so can we question Green's systems now? I'm including Baumgartner in this as well.

It's amazing how we had a late push, but where was this during the second and third periods?

There was a ton of sloppy play and habits. This is on the coach to correct these things. Too many penalties. I refuse to believe the players are stupid.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, thrago said:

I stand corrected on Gaudette he has roughly 1.75 full seasons under his belt as for Demko's call-ups, sure he played some games in previous years but you need to play 35 games in a season to lose rookie status.  However you look at it these guys are not NHL veterans by any stretch of the imagination.  

Never said they were NHL veterans. I said both were in their 4th NHL season and that Demko is in his 5th season pro all of which are accurate.

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

D sucks, get rid of the D coach.

I wonder if Green has the kahunas to put Miller on the 3rd line, at least until he stops sulking and starts playing to win again..ahhh doubtful

Give Motte a shot with Petey and Boes.

id like to see

motte horvat boeser 

virtanen petey hoglander

pearson miller macewen

gaudette beagle sutter 

motte  speed  would be good with horvat plus fast 2nd line and heavy 3rd 

16 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

tanev is not worth 4.5 mill for 4 more yrs maybe a one yr deal   but 4 no thanks guys not that good  no offense no hitting 

Not that good?  His D pairing hasn't given up a 5 on 5 goal all year lol.

The guy we replaced him with hasnt hit or scored either.  Oh, also has been suspect on D.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Alright, so can we question Green's systems now? I'm including Baumgartner in this as well.

It's amazing how we had a late push, but where was this during the second and third periods?

There was a ton of sloppy play and habits. This is on the coach to correct these things. Too many penalties. I refuse to believe the players are stupid.

you can question them all you want.

but peewee braincramp giveaways and stupid penalties by veterans like Roussel - isn't "systems".

I think you can expect the NHL as a whole to be sloppier this year - at the start because of lack of preparation time - and throughout because of a ridiculous/exhausting schedule.

but if you want to question systems - it might help to be able to identify them to start with.  most people here have absolutely no clue - so the cue to question systems will lead to the usual slough of pointless one-liners.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

tanev is not worth 4.5 mill for 4 more yrs maybe a one yr deal   but 4 no thanks guys not that good  no offense no hitting plus injury prone only a matter of time 

Tanev is one of the best shutdown defensemen in the NHL, period.

when you sacrifice like he does - throws himself in front of any shot, takes a hit every time to move the puck - blaming him for getting injured is...

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Not that good?  His D pairing hasn't given up a 5 on 5 goal all year lol.

The guy we replaced him with hasnt hit or scored either.  Oh, also has been suspect on D.

And Schmidt costs 1.45M more. At the moment, he doesn't look like an upgrade. Not to mention the locker room value we lost.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

jv best player on ice next game hes scratched  mindboggling how dumb our coach is

your claim is incorrect.

the best Canucks on the ice were Beagle and Motte.

They had team high corsi

60.0% and 66.7%

they had 18 of the team's 51 shot attempts.

They also had the lowest ozone starts on the team

16.7%

Both had a point, both were +1 (the only two plus players),  Motte added 7 hits.

Virtanen played well - but wasn't the best Canuck on the ice.

Where I'd agree with you - I'd prefer him over Roussel or Gaudette in the lineup.

• Upvote 1