The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

Yep, still if you are going to diss someone else's job, make sure you do yours. Helps with the impact.

Thanks I’ll make note of that next time I diss someone’s job. Didn’t know watching Montreal and Ottawa games was considered a job.. 

Just now, Wayne Glensky said:

Thanks I’ll make note of that next time I diss someone’s job. Didn’t know watching Montreal and Ottawa games was considered a job.. 

Hey, you were the one that said "Good job" so go argue with yourself then.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Dude there are a lot of problems in that dressing room. Letting Toffoli, Tanev and Marky walk has killed the vibe in this team. Our PP is abysmal and our defence is turning the puck over in record numbers. If you don’t think there is a coaching issue/management issue you are on glue. Benning has been here 7 year, drafted some good prospects but at the end of the day he shat the bed when it came to asset management. All of these contracts to 30+ year old bottom 6 guys is finally biting us in the ass. This is worse hockey than the Willie D years. On top of all that Green can’t keep up with line matching and it’s getting picked apart by better and more experienced coaches. Baumgartner and Brown are both in way over their heads. There needs to be a regime change in order to make this team competitive again. Same song, same dance, same excuses night after night. You can’t even count the Ottawa games as good wins. New GM, new coaches will do wonders for this team. 

Agree to disagree. I feel like I don't get to see the whole ice on tv, only what the cameras follow. I'm not in the dressing room so I don't know what's going on in there either. Any amazing insight that I think I may have into the team is nothing more than speculation on my part, not the absolute truth. Anyone who thinks they know better than seasoned professionals and people with a vested interest in the teams success is kidding themselves. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Darius said:

you ol timers remember that series vs Calgary?  Gary Roberts would park it in the crease and Murzyn would unload the lumber on him so hard.  Roberts was one tough SOB but he took so many shots to the neck and back that he ended up in a horse collar.  Those good ol days are gone...now players exchange tik tok and instagram info inbetween whistles...

Roberts running McLean still bugs me.   A-hole.   Wish he played for us ... same as that little duche-bag water-bug Fluery.   Glad at least some throw-back players exist.   EDM and CAL players would never associate before ... 

52 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I remember that. Loved Gary Roberts.. one tough SOB..

Robert Dirk was a big loss for Canucks when he left.. big physical Dman. Solid Dman for us when he was here..

i miss sopel loved that guy way better than tanev hit offense shot block 

2 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

The point is we lost to this team  4 out of 5 games. The games were all lost with NO improvement in our play or efforts. Of course we cannot be expected to win every game but we should at the very least be able give the teams we play a battle rather than a blow out. FIVE GAMES and we cannot solve the team to scrape out but 1 win. 

This is what people are saying. Coach needs to watch tape or find a weakness on the habs and show and COACH our team on how to exploit those weaknesses. Not jus the same  ol drop pass..dump and chase. The Habs have us down to a book. We are predictable. Of course this team is not trying to lose...but they sure ain't trying to get better.

we were the same way with the Jets, we hadn't beat them in like forever, then recently we beat them 4-1,  some teams just have your number

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, but as of right now, Tanev (even +/-) has as many goals as Hughes (-7)

please don't compare Tanev with Hughes! Hughes is sitting on top of the league in points as a defenseman with 14 and Tanev has 2. , Tanev had all of 20 points  last season and Hughes had 53

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

MTL plays VAN like they know they will win, high tempo, confident, on the attack

VAN plays MTL like they're trying not to lose, dumping the puck to safety often just to catch their breath 

You are absolutely right. 

Our inability to make decisions quickly has us playing in the soft areas. 

If your going to pinch, do it right away without hesitation or you'll get there late. 

If your going to back up, make that decision quickly instead of getting caught flat footed in no man's land. If you pick one of the 2 options and do it at 50%, it's not going to work regardless of which choice you made

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bree2 said:

please don't compare Tanev with Hughes! Hughes is sitting on top of the league in points as a defenseman with 14 and Tanev has 2. , Tanev had all of 20 points  last season and Hughes had 53

Points don’t mean anything if you are losing. Hughes has been a defensive liability this season and Tanev has been a beast in Calgary. Hughes is a -7 and Tanev is a +5. Not saying Hughes is bad but he has had a very slow start this year. Points just follow him around. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, bree2 said:

we were the same way with the Jets, we hadn't beat them in like forever, then recently we beat them 4-1,  some teams just have your number

If you don't improve each time you play a team, there is a lack of preparation and coaching. 

The Canucks looked marginally better in the second and if it weren't for Demko it easily could have been way worse. 

This coaching group doesn't seem to learn from their mistakes.

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Hughes has been a defensive liability this season and Tanev has been a beast in Calgary. Hughes is a -7 and Tanev is a +5. Not saying Hughes is bad but he has had a very slow start this year. 

True.

16 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Points don’t mean anything if you are losing. Hughes has been a defensive liability this season and Tanev has been a beast in Calgary. Hughes is a -7 and Tanev is a +5. Not saying Hughes is bad but he has had a very slow start this year. Points just follow him around. 

Hughes leads the league in points for a defenseman...

Yes his defensive game has been a bit suspect but that was never going to be his strength. That’s why you pair him with someone like Tanev.

Benn has played admirably in the short term but that should and will not be considered a long term solution. That’s why we signed Hamonic, who I still have faith will get up to speed as the season move along.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Vintage 1