The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

No offense, but I am sick of the excuse that we have played too much and not had time off...Our travel has been 10x lighter this year due to the multiple games vs a single team. Don't forget these are suppose to be PRO Athletes that show up to work ready to go EVERY single day, game or practice!

The turnovers last night were atrocious, this team needs to bring in someone capable of working with our current D core and deploying a system that will work to certain players strengths etc. Doubt changes are made in season due to protocols but at minimum Baumer and Brown have to go, Green seems to not be able to rally the troops when a game is starting off poor or can't adjust in game...what would be best for the teams future would be to get a more experienced coaching staff behind the bench, not just guys getting promoted internally from the AHL staff. Boggles my mind why we didn't give Manny a more prominent role on the team, oh well guess Jason King is going to make an impact now.

Fact is, team didn't show up last night and the coach didn't try and wake them up during the game. Coach should have been livid behind the bench with all these costly turnovers that lead to goals and great scoring chances.

Wake up boys! If you truly like your coaching staff you might want to show up ready to play against all 6 of your opponents this season...otherwise coaches be fired, players be traded/waived etc. 

Sports...its a what have you done for me now business, players age and slow down quick so can't be burning good years away by being unprepared or unwilling to make changes in season.

Go Canucks! I have to think they will put forward a much better effort today...if they don't, this team needs some changes all throughout the organization if they want to take the next step in the right direction

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

57 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I don't disagree completely with Green too often, but swapping out Demko after a day off with the #s he was putting up was a coaching mistake IMO. Should've given him the first game and Holtby the 2nd.

Oh well

Hopefully the Canucks are hungry tonight.

Statistically the winner of a first back to back game is more often going to lose the second.  So the end result for us would be the same, but is a better boost to the confidence of our future #1 to be the second game saviour than to be shellacked in the first game.  Plus, given Holtby's record in that building, there might have been the chance to pull off 2 wins back to back.

But alas, only our 2 much maligned 3rd and 4th lines showed up (with honourable mention to Hoagie)

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

When the team is ON, we can beat anyone.   Nothing would make me happier then see that happen tonight.   MTL is starting to get on my nerves....

I'm hoping we see some great counter attacks today with guys being a lot more tighter on their assignments.

The Mtl broadcast yesterday was pissing me off too.  They pretty much talked about how Canucks beat the Sens 3 times in our recent streak and downplayed how we played well.  They forgot to mention that we also dominated Winnipeg so I'm hoping we come out tonight and run the Habs out of the rink.

• Like 1

We are 4-1 last 5 games with a solid win in W.

The did not perform well under Montreals pressure , but expect that to change tonight. They will move pucks faster and get back to the game in Winnipeg,

Not sure about a win against the best team in Canada but it will be a respectable effort

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

The memo should be out on the Canucks. All out forecheck pressure and our team will turn into giveaway machines. Calgary did that and so did Mtl. 

I hope some adjustments are made.

Canucks are great when they have that split second to make a decision but when time is taken away, they don't know what to do. 

Is it because they're still learning and not experienced enough yet to break the forecheck pressure? 

I feel like once they get it, we'll see a great transitional team. We also have fast players with skill but they just don't process the game fast enough currently 

Most noticeable is Myers.  Some plays he takes so long to make a decision that pressure forces him into mistakes.  Ignoring Rafferty's 1 giveaway in one game, Myers and Schmidt are our defense leaders in giveaways, averaging over 3 per 60 mins of ice time. Ollie is next at 2.66, followed by Edler at 1.94.

Somewhat surprisingly, that "clown" (as one poster averred), Chatfield, has 0 (as in zero) giveaways in 6 games  (which might be why he is playing, and OJ is sitting)

In all fairness though, Myers and Schmidt are #s 1 and 2 in blocked shots by defensemen (although the cynic in me thinks that's them blocking the shot taken after their giveaways)

Someone mentioned Miller and his lack of effort at times this season. I was watching him last night and I agree. He just doesn't look like his usual competitive self. Sure, he's still producing around a point a game, but most are probably assists on Boeser's goals. His passing has been awful at times, lots of giveaways, like he doesn't even care. I hope he's not the type of player who is so competitive he'll want out because he doesn't; like the direction of the team, Must be frustrating for him to be on a real good team, having his best year (last season), and then the GM trades away the #1 goalie and room favourite, veteran Dman. Petey looks lost at times, Hughes makes tons of defensive mistakes, They're having to play Gaudette, Virtanen who are young and struggling. If you want to win the Cup, this team doesn't look near ready yet, and too young, and Miller wants to win now. 

19 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

We are 4-1 last 5 games with a solid win in W.

The did not perform well under Montreals pressure , but expect that to change tonight. They will move pucks faster and get back to the game in Winnipeg,

Not sure about a win against the best team in Canada but it will be a respectable effort

Kudos to Bergevin

Mtl was a roster filled with smurfs just a few seasons ago.  It's been nice as a fan to watch them get this good this quickly.

It'd be easier to cheer for them if it was any other year.

I'd rather Habs than Leafs.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I'm hoping we see some great counter attacks today with guys being a lot more tighter on their assignments.

The Mtl broadcast yesterday was pissing me off too.  They pretty much talked about how Canucks beat the Sens 3 times in our recent streak and downplayed how we played well.  They forgot to mention that we also dominated Winnipeg so I'm hoping we come out tonight and run the Habs out of the rink.

Yep.   MTL to me isn't much different - although definitely more palatable - then TO... Like NYRs and TO used to just try and buy their way into cups ... except on the down low...for me at least, seems like an endless re-tool.   Maybe they've hit gold this time, for sure a plethora of middle six wingers ... a lot like Vegas their first year minus Weber.   Have to give them credit too - it seems to be clicking - and Bergervin (the clown for those who remember what he was like in the dressing room - a lot was written about that before his career was over) maybe has the right mix now.    Doesn't seem like enough for over the top - they don't have high end skill outside of Weber and Price (who won't do it forever), but maybe they hit the sweet spot this time.    

As far as we go - we DO have high end talent.   Drouin is how old now!  And what have BB, EP, QHs ... even Horvat managed .. 

MTL has a wild card dark horse feel to it right now.   Hope we give them our  A game tonight - and they enjoy a 7-1 thrashing 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1

We really do need to stop making excuses about scheduling 

we look at our own team but fail to realize that every other team in our division has the same requirement 

is there a timing difference that will need to take place before the schedule equalizes? Yes but don’t forget that we have had ottawa 3 times already

when its all said and done our schedule is actually one of the best in the division. We play the least back to backs and we get for teams on their “tired” days 

so stop making excuses for poor in ice performance 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Kudos to Bergevin

Mtl was a roster filled with smurfs just a few seasons ago.  It's been nice as a fan to watch them get this good this quickly.

It'd be easier to cheer for them if it was any other year.

I'd rather Habs than Leafs.

Agree 

montreal has had a much faster rebuild 

due in no small part to a much more competent and experienced coaching staff 

Ok that was as hard to watch last night  as the 1st 3 games vs Montreal.  I still have the feeling that something is not  right in the room.  Maybe I am wrong - hope so.

I agree our schedule  probably has not helped - also I imagine it isn't a lot of fun to be on the road - you're confined to your rooms - no interacting with the rest of the team. That is something I don't understand - you're in the dressing room and on the ice with these same players but you can't visit in the rooms?  Some rules are beyond me.

Hoping for the best

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Someone mentioned Miller and his lack of effort at times this season. I was watching him last night and I agree. He just doesn't look like his usual competitive self. Sure, he's still producing around a point a game, but most are probably assists on Boeser's goals. His passing has been awful at times, lots of giveaways, like he doesn't even care. I hope he's not the type of player who is so competitive he'll want out because he doesn't; like the direction of the team, Must be frustrating for him to be on a real good team, having his best year (last season), and then the GM trades away the #1 goalie and room favourite, veteran Dman. Petey looks lost at times, Hughes makes tons of defensive mistakes, They're having to play Gaudette, Virtanen who are young and struggling. If you want to win the Cup, this team doesn't look near ready yet, and too young, and Miller wants to win now. 

I think your over thinking it.   Not every day athlete's - or anyone for that matter - feel at their best.   And they have to wait until a time where everyone is done work to get out and perform for us.   How many times for anyone on this site - that does intensive regular exercise, high level martial arts or physical training for a sport - go to the gym or the days routine and just not have much gas in the tank.   Doesn't matter if your in peak shape - it happens.   This is the second time today i've read a post with the narrative that Miller might want out - one now - and one at the end of his contract.    Every player has an off game from now and then..EPs hit more posts and cross bars then anyone,  last year there was a massive amount of trade BB threads.   

Miller has a lot to offer as a blue chip vet in his prime.   Not worried about his game one bit.   Best part is - his value is sky high - both as a core member - and as a trade chip.    If it came to that we could acquire a boat load of assets, a lot more then our late first rounder cost us...

On Q Hughes ... i'm still on the fence with him, don't know if he's Phil Housley 2.0 (who also made a ton of defensive mistakes, but it didn't matter) or Barrie 2.0 minus the build.   Time will tell...I expect probably somewhere inbetween. That said love we have him, how old is he again?  

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Agree 

montreal has had a much faster rebuild 

due in no small part to a much more competent and experienced coaching staff 

Huh?   Rebuild or "re-tool".   Seems like MTL has being re-tooling since Roy left doesn't it? 

This game will tell us all we need to know about the team's leadership in the locker-room and coaching staff. These are all resolvable issues - just play it simple and don't make stupid mistakes. Small mistakes here and there are fine, we can cover them up, but giving up 5 breakaways a game is not and it can be fixed. I've said it before - change the gameplan for now to involve a more structured out-let from the defensive zone with more support. Players need to play tighter together, sacrifice some odd-man rush and offensive chances for safety moving the puck up the ice.

I don't care if we dump and chase from the beginning, as long as we move cohesively up the ice and play it safe, we have a better chance of winning than playing with our last gameplan of wheeling and dealing for no reason. If we get all the defencemen to sit back, not rush up the side of the ice and play safely, we can grind out some victories. Play the way we did last night and any team will ruin us.

I want to see a safe game. Don't even care if we lose, just play a stupidly boring system tomorrow and try and grind out a 2-1 win.