The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Montreal Canadiens | February 2, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

No offense, but I am sick of the excuse that we have played too much and not had time off...Our travel has been 10x lighter this year due to the multiple games vs a single team. Don't forget these are suppose to be PRO Athletes that show up to work ready to go EVERY single day, game or practice!

The turnovers last night were atrocious, this team needs to bring in someone capable of working with our current D core and deploying a system that will work to certain players strengths etc. Doubt changes are made in season due to protocols but at minimum Baumer and Brown have to go, Green seems to not be able to rally the troops when a game is starting off poor or can't adjust in game...what would be best for the teams future would be to get a more experienced coaching staff behind the bench, not just guys getting promoted internally from the AHL staff. Boggles my mind why we didn't give Manny a more prominent role on the team, oh well guess Jason King is going to make an impact now.

Fact is, team didn't show up last night and the coach didn't try and wake them up during the game. Coach should have been livid behind the bench with all these costly turnovers that lead to goals and great scoring chances.

Wake up boys! If you truly like your coaching staff you might want to show up ready to play against all 6 of your opponents this season...otherwise coaches be fired, players be traded/waived etc. 

Sports...its a what have you done for me now business, players age and slow down quick so can't be burning good years away by being unprepared or unwilling to make changes in season.

Go Canucks! I have to think they will put forward a much better effort today...if they don't, this team needs some changes all throughout the organization if they want to take the next step in the right direction

fact is one team has been able to practise and one hasn't, one team  has played 12 games and one has  played 9.   hopefully they come out tonight and win!  one other thing the players are not machines , they are human beings who make errors like you and i do.    GO CANUCKS GO!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

If we're so exhausted don't we have 5 guys on the taxi squad that haven't played all year?

Good point.  Swap Hughes for Beezer for a game - at 6'2" he'll be a lot harder to separate from the puck.  Or Rathbone (although Montreal prolly isnt the team to throw him into for his debut game)

Barring injuries, it's going to be hard to get Michaelis a game, as he is likely Beagle or Sutter's replacement, and both are playing well and dominating the faceoff circle.  Same with Bailey - he is in that 3rd line winger mix along with Virtanen/Gaudette/Mcewen and Rousell 

Eriksson?  He might get a look if only for his defensive prowess, but most useful on one of the top 2 lines.  For sure. He is not an energy guy

• Upvote 1

I keep saying to my buddy (who's a Phlegm's fam), that its a long season. Were not even 1/4 way through yet.

Its gunna be a dog fight till the end. I can only see Toronto as a lock-in for the playoffs right now. Montreal looks good, but I still think they could fall at some point. Every team (Vancouver, Winnipeg, Edmonton, Montreal, Calgary) is really close in terms of skill. Re-group after yesterday, and give your best effort tonight. 

Like others have said, if we can get through this road trip at .500, I think were in the clear. The guys need a break. I find it pretty ludacris how our week long break isn't until the end of March, when the season is already 50% played. Absolutely brutal scheduling. I guess one team had to get the short end of the stick.

12 minutes ago, bree2 said:

fact is one team has been able to practise and one hasn't, one team  has played 12 games and one has  played 9.   hopefully they come out tonight and win!  one other thing the players are not machines , they are human beings who make errors like you and i do.    GO CANUCKS GO!!!

Practice? Practice? We talkin about practice. Practice? Not a game. We talkin about practice. 

Edited by rekker
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Good point.  Swap Hughes for Beezer for a game - at 6'2" he'll be a lot harder to separate from the puck.  Or Rathbone (although Montreal prolly isnt the team to throw him into for his debut game)

Barring injuries, it's going to be hard to get Michaelis a game, as he is likely Beagle or Sutter's replacement, and both are playing well and dominating the faceoff circle.  Same with Bailey - he is in that 3rd line winger mix along with Virtanen/Gaudette/Mcewen and Rousell 

Eriksson?  He might get a look if only for his defensive prowess, but most useful on one of the top 2 lines.  For sure. He is not an energy guy

There is no way Green can healthy scratch Hughes. The backlash would be insane (especially if we were to miss the playoffs by 1 or 2 points).

57 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Back to Miller.... don't know if he is stil playing hurt from his wrist injury. Passes aren't crisp, shots go awry, and he isn't taking - or winning - so many faceoffs

Last season, he took just under 80% of line faceoffs vs Petey's just over 20% (778 to 191)

Thus far (but in 3 fewer games) he is 60 to Petey's 50

Maybe a conscious effort to up Petey's skills there - but it's not working.  Miller is at 50% wins (59.2% last year) and Petey at 40% (41.8% last year)

Improved are Gaudette (up from 41.2% to 43.9, and, big improvement, Sutter up from 48.9% to 55.9%

I feel Miller is just frustrated at himself, i don't believe as some poster said that he is upset  that  Tanev and Marky left.  the Canucks just need to adjust, and they will be fine!

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

If Green doesn't make any lineup changes, then he should anticipate another loss.

If the lineup change doesn't include adding McDavid, or Pettersson from 5 years from now,, then VAN will probably lose. I love the Canucks, I have an entire room dedicated to them, wall to wall fandom stuff. I watch every game. Some days they look unstoppable, but against MTL, they just can't seem to win. Sure, they won 6-5 in a shootout earlier in the season, but that really could've gone either way. Toffoli still got a hattrick and MTL got the point. I thought that win in WPG was proof that they've finally turned the corner, but after watching last night's game, it looks like they took a wrong turn, they looked lost. VAN really did look like OTT against MTL. Will they do better tonight? I hope so, but I'm not going to make excuses like "they're tired", or "they've been on the road for days", or "Miller must be hurt", or whatever. Do Lightning fans complain about this stuff? Missing Stamkos all year? lol

If they lose, it's because they're not good enough, and that's on Benning. Go Canucks Go

So Habs have scored 23 goals in four games, one would think that the coach should have a plan B when facing a team that obviously has our number. Maybe play some NY Islanders defense (only against Montreal, hate that kind of hockey) against a team that scores like this.

A change of tactics would be refreshing Mr. Green. Adapt and overcome.

And start with the powerplay.  We are second only to Colorado in PP opportunities (44 to their 49) but 24th in conversion (13.6%, last in our division, led by Montreal at 26.5%, followed by Winnipeg at 22.9%)

And, ofc, we lead the league in short- handed goals against

To the layman, the answer there is clear - stop those back and forth fancy passes and shoot more.  Better chance of scoring on the shot or off a greasy rebound, and fewer passes to get picked off.

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I actually think Ericksson is missed/needed as a calming influence in the top 6. Currently we've got no one to show the young players, Petterson, Boeser, Hoglander Horvat, Miller, that's it not alright to continually force the puck through the middle, make blind spin around passes in your own end, not bail your team out in your own end, and make high risk passes all over the ice. Sometimes you need someone that can just get the puck, make a simple pass out of the zone, or put it up the boards, and generally play with yourself in-between the opposition and your net ... you know the little things. :lol:

Sadly enough Miller has been pretty bad at this, followed by Petterson and Bo. Hoglander has been the best at playing defence in both ends out of the bunch. Once you mix that in with Virtanen, Gaudette, MacEwen, and Chatfield, Juolevi, we've got a lot of young players covering a good chunk of the game. When you have our entire top6 tossing the puck around our own end like the Harlem Globetrotters eventually one of these kids are going to screw up the play or just develop bad lazy habits themselves.

• Cheers 1