The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should transgender athletes be able to compete against the gender they identify with?

smokes

3 minutes ago, GoCanucks16 said:

I'm not going to bother to search for old threads, but there have been plenty across the years where the contents are disgusting.

Just in this one, though:

Unless they missed adding "people," that's like referring to a schizophrenic person as a schizophrenic or someone with downs syndrome as a "downs."

So because people was omitted from the statement that @Lancaster made, he's now disgusting? I'm not going to speak for him, but I'm going to assume that he views them as people. Should anyone mentioning the trans community refer to it as the trans people community to prevent people from being "disgusted"?

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

girls that wanna be guys can compete against other guys, but guys that wanna be girls  - no fricken way

when did life become so confusing?

Sorry @GoCanucks16, but what is the issue here? Does this simplification of the facts really offend you that much? It seems that you're concentrating on the minutia to find something to be upset about rather than actually have a conversation.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So because people was omitted from the statement that @Lancaster made, he's now disgusting? I'm not going to speak for him, but I'm going to assume that he views them as people. Should anyone mentioning the trans community refer to it as the trans people community to prevent people from being "disgusted"?

Sorry @GoCanucks16, but what is the issue here? Does this simplification of the facts really offend you that much? It seems that you're concentrating on the minutia to find something to be upset about rather than actually have a conversation.  

I never called Lancaster disgusting. It was probably an honest mistake. The language was ungrammatical at best and offensive at worst. The way they used it was too close to a common slur for transgender people.

Transgender women are not "guys who want to be girls," nor are trans men "girls who want to be guys." Trans women are women and trans men are men, end of story.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GoCanucks16 said:

this site is transphobic and there will be no productive discussion here

1 minute ago, GoCanucks16 said:

Lol. What opinion was I responding to? I'm just telling you from experience that this forum, broadly, has bad opinions on the transgender topic.

You were labeling this entire forum, in general, as being transphobic so therefore no productive discussion can be had here.  That was the opinion your were presenting, in essence putting you on one side, and the rest of the site on the other.  NO PRODUCTIVE DISCUSSION HERE.  Your words.

Male to Female - No.

Female to Male - Yes.

Men who identify as a women will have more advantage over a women in their sport.

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/transgender-mma-fighter-who-broke-female-opponents-skull-are-we-getting-too-politically-correct-with-reality/

The level of competition is no there. If anything they should have a transgendered league.

Female to Male the women who Identify as male would have a harder time going against a natural male. While I have watched a few vids on females besting a male. That  is a completely different outcome for man. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, thedestroyerofworlds said:

You were labeling this entire forum, in general, as being transphobic so therefore no productive discussion can be had here.  That was the opinion your were presenting, in essence putting you on one side, and the rest of the site on the other.  NO PRODUCTIVE DISCUSSION HERE.  Your words.

what?

I never called Lancaster disgusting. It was probably an honest mistake. The language was ungrammatical at best and offensive at worst. The way they used it was too close to a common slur for transgender people.

So it was an honest mistake, much like not including the word people...

Also, no idea why you're getting so uppity. This site has historically had a large population of transphobes. That's not a controversial statement.

Says the person who erroneously referred to the posters on the site as transphobic, and only provided two posts from a topic created today as evidence. Your argument is losing potency by the minute.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, GoCanucks16 said:

what?

Obviously you have trouble reading your own posts that I quoted.  My bad for not including my original post.  I'll quote it again.  This post was in response to you saying this site is transphobic.  That there will be no productive discussion here.  Essentially,  putting you on one side and this forum on the other.  Never mind that there are people here who support LGBTQ, yet also have the opinion the anti-doping athletics put biologically female athletes at a disadvantage to biologically male to female trans athletes.  Nope, no productive discussion can be had there.  I guess that, according to you, I qualify as a transphobe because maybe in my posts I got a term wrong and have the wrong opinion.  That was the whole point of my original post.

This is an example of the problem with discussion in todays politically charged climate.  Anyone who tries to provide an opinion from the other side gets labeled as sexist, racist, fascist,  or some kind of phobic.  It is our way or the highway.  Never mind the fact that athletics has taken an anti-doping stance, yet developing as a male gives that person an advantage that females, who have to abide by anti-doping regulations cannot dream of achieving.  That kind of take gets labeled as transphobic, as opposed to challenging the position based on the merit.  It is weak as hell.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds

So it was an honest mistake, much like not including the word people...

Says the person who erroneously referred to the posters on the site as transphobic, and only provided two posts from a topic created today as evidence. Your argument is losing potency by the minute.

The thread has been up for like 30 minutes and we already have people saying trans people aren't the gender they identify as. I could easily revisit older threads for "evidence" but don't really care to. I don't get a dopamine hit from "winning" arguments.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

This is an example of the problem with discussion in todays politically charged climate.  Anyone who tries to provide an opinion from the other side gets labeled as sexist, racist, fascist,  or some kind of phobic.  It is our way or the highway.  Never mind the fact that athletics has taken an anti-doping stance, yet developing as a male gives that person an advantage that females, who have to abide by anti-doping regulations cannot dream of achieving.  That kind of take gets labeled as transphobic, as opposed to challenging the position based on the merit.  It is weak as hell.

There may be a place for legitimate discussion on this, but not here.  The political background of this forum (in general) is pretty right-wing, but an uninformed right-wing.  They speak before they think, or they just have a very black-and-white view of this world.

For gender-specific sports, the issue here is obviously focused on trans women.  How much research have you read on HRT and the effects it has on trans women?  What do you know about sport regulations and how long trans women have to be on HRT before they compete?  How many trans women are competing in various sports today, and what percentage of them are considered highly successful (ie. winning titles)?  And yes, most importantly, do you have empirical, scientific proof that trans people and their past give them an unfair advantage?

People like to talk about things they just don't understand, and then they get upset because others think their opinion is trash.  That's not the fault of a "politically charged climate".  That's just being lazy.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Obviously you have trouble reading your own posts that I quoted.  My bad for not including my original post.  I'll quote it again.  This post was in response to you saying this site is transphobic.  That there will be no productive discussion here.  Essentially,  putting you on one side and this forum on the other.  Never mind that there are people here who support LGBTQ, yet also have the opinion the anti-doping athletics put biologically female athletes at a disadvantage to biologically male to female trans athletes.  Nope, no productive discussion can be had there.  I guess that, according to you, I qualify as a transphobe because maybe in my posts I got a term wrong and have the wrong opinion.  That was the whole point of my original post.

There are individuals here who aren't transphobic. My point was that there is still a large population of transphobes here.

I don't look at everything in life as a fight; my intention was not to pit myself against the forum.

I was not making a universal statement.

4 minutes ago, GoCanucks16 said:

The thread has been up for like 30 minutes and we already have people saying trans people aren't the gender they identify as. I could easily revisit older threads for "evidence" but don't really care to. I don't get a dopamine hit from "winning" arguments.

They're called opinions. Not everyone has to share yours. 

So you don't care to back up your claim? Cool. 

11 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

And I don't know whether you're transphobic, btw, but opinions can absolutely be transphobic.

They're called opinions. Not everyone has to share yours. 

So you don't care to back up your claim? Cool. 

See the post above.

It's a transphobic opinion.

I am backing up my claim; stop skipping words/letters.

If you don't think trans women are women, you're transphobic. That's the definition.

• Haha 1

While there could be abuse I wouldn't go as far to say there is a lot of room for abuse.  If we get a boatload of men trying to create a advantage for themselves in this sort of manner-yikes. 

If you say you identify as a certain gender, one would hope you're being genuine about it.