The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Watch JT after Elias makes a giveaway.  It's more and more rare that they're on the ice together now as Green has them separated, but it's clear that they're not playing for each other at the moment.  

I actually started to notice that something was off between the JT and EP since Toffoli's arrival at the TDL last season.

Although Miller was piling up points and passed EP for the team lead and that Toffoli was scoring (I think 10 pts in 10 games?), EP and Miller were like oil and water. EP didn't get to touch the puck much. 

TBH, as great as JT was last season, we aren't winning the cup as long as he is our best player. 

After all, he was not even a top 5 player on TBL team that won the cup.

Game turning point. Around the 11:50 mark of the second period. Score 3-2. Just before the 4th goal. Roussel was interfered with with no call only to have the puck to shortly go the other way and bingo 4-2. 
I do believe the power plays were 2-1 Leafs at that point with a power play goal. 

Just now, khay said:

I actually started to notice that something was off between the JT and EP since Toffoli's arrival at the TDL last season.

Although Miller was piling up points and passed EP for the team lead and that Toffoli was scoring (I think 10 pts in 10 games?), EP and Miller were like oil and water. EP didn't get to touch the puck much. 

TBH, as great as JT was last season, we aren't winning the cup as long as he is our best player. 

After all, he was not even a top 5 player on TBL team that won the cup.

Those Tampa teams were stacked though. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don’t want Weisbrod either. This team needs an established and shrewd GM with actual experience in the NHL as a GM. 

Yeah, would had been niced if the team went that way but JB has built a good core and prospect list.  As a first time GM, I expected some growing pains but the way they are losing is very concerning... 

Sidenote - Ottawa beat Montreal (go figure).

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Passivity breeds passivity. 

Yeah but he needs to realize he isn't going to go out and burn people on the score board at will like Hank could. Needs to look to other means , use that big frame and rock someone FFS.  A real statement would have been him dropping them tonight. 

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

This is a reality. It’s why this team is bad and can’t do a thing. Should we pretend this isn’t a problem. It’s bad cap

management. It’s reflective of his management. So yes it’s ok to look at why we’re at where we are at.

Nobody's denying anything. But it's pretty pathetic and childish to continually act like a fool. These problems are beyond us whether we like them or not. It's up to whoever is in charge to make those changes. Some of you guys don't when to stop. Nobody likes losing and there were bad choices. But that's life. Let's hope you guys got it all together.

25 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

So what went wrong tonight guys? Did we just not get the bounces? Maybe that’s a really good team over there. Or maybe we just need to get back to playing our game. Wait, I think we liked our first 20 but the game just got away from us. 

Pretty obvious.  The players were trash

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Horvat also said we weren’t ready to play. It’s not just the management but coaching as well.To not have your team ready to play is a big issue. Especially after having two bad losses in a row.

The players get themselves ready to play.  It's not bantam

• Cheers 3

Hard to look at PP stats when Canucks don't get any PP's I mean seriously (and don't say) Canucks are taking dumb penalties, some yes, but I guess it's okay to stick Mott in the face, cross check Hughs hard into the boards and ignore the Boeser one, then dumb ref makes up for it later. I hate it when a ref doesn't call a fair game. As for effort... all I can say is I guess I would be tired too. From Jan 20th to the 31st - Leafs played 6 games and got 10 days off. Canucks played 7 games and got 5 days off. Kinda unfair for one team playing them that hard without any breaks. Do they need to pick things up? Yes. Do they need to try harder? Yes. Miller needs to play better. Virtanen needs to drive yellow cab. Horvat needs to step it up. Meyers needs to stop taking dumb penalties. But I'm not giving up on them. They just need a good break and to find their legs. 

10 minutes ago, HannibalSmith said:

I would think he gets canned 1st. It’s really hard to fire a HC and then bring in another with the COVID protocols and who wants to come in here anyways? 
I bet Benning is canned and they tank for the 1st pick. 

Thing is most new GMs want to hire their own coaching staff. Mark my works there will be a regime change this year 

• Cheers 1