The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Wow, I finally know how my friends who are Oiler fans feel

I doubt it. They were a dynasty. Won 5 cups. Generational players in past Gretzky Coffee Messier and present with McDavid and Draisatl.

I lived in Edmonton for past cpl yrs. Thats one heck of an entertaining team to watch live.. McDavid is worth the price of admission every night. 

We wish we had the Oilers history. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

I think they need to stop talking to JT Miller until he's a better example.  

What’s wrong with what he’s saying? He’s being honest. That’s a hell of a lot more refreshing than saying that they have “a lot of hockey left”. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • Vintage 1

Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise... crap seasons for our 2 stars in Petey and Hughes, results in much lower cap hits on their extensions giving us room for much more moving forward.  Can you imagine if they both sign bridge deals in the $4M to 5M range each but regain their form next year?  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

I doubt it. They were a dynasty. Won 5 cups. Generational players in past Gretzky Coffee Messier and present with McDavid and Draisatl.

I lived in Edmonton for past cpl yrs. Thats one heck of an entertaining team to watch live.. McDavid is worth the price of admission every night. 

We wish we had the Oilers history. 

Every time I watch the Oilers, Draisaitl puts on a show. Dude is a beast and of course McDavid.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

Well as fans we can look at the Avalanche and how their top five worst seasons ever in 16-17 ended and turned it around right after that. They got rid of disgruntled players and stuck together and are cup contenders for the foreseeable future. 

Shrewd GM in Sakic and smart, capable coach in Bednar. 

The Avalanche have also won a few Cups in their day. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

What's this, a veteran player on 700K made the difference tonight?

But I was told those types of vets are impossible to sign?  I was told you had to pay 3M for veterans and that was fair market value.

Odd...something not adding up here...

Yep... you have to give them term as well.

I mean if you are shooting for this result at least...

BFCABC1D-B2EF-410F-8886-44FC44608EB2.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

As a talent scout, Benning is excellent. His record speaks for itself in that regard. He’s blown way too many FA signings and trades, and those have all caught up with the team now. 

Ditto, JB went shopping hungry and spent too much buying the wrong food - hindsight. 

It seems like this season is a regression and retool:  when some of the anchor contracts are off the books this off season.  Only thing we can hope for is for JB to not make the same mistakes with cap & asset management moving forward (he should have a picture of LE on his desk during the beginning  of FA and Tofoli during trade deadlines).

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I'm starting to wonder if we need the little things addition to the lineup.

Probably better to sit him out so he hopefully retires in the summer but we may need his little things. Gaudette needs to gain some weight - he cannot keep the puck along the boards in battles. We lose possession. We need gauds to be a bit heavier. Let's put him on a big mac meal plan and put him on the taxi squad for 3 weeks. Maybe he will gain a few pounds to give him more leverage in luck battles. He works his butt off but lacks the mass to win the majority of the battles a guy would normally win with his effort.

Edited by Rush17

11 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I doubt Petey and Miller are beefing all of a sudden, they were playing well and happy together in the bubble.

Miller and Bo did come out saying it was unexpected and confusing to lose guys like Marky and Tanev.

Either way they need to get over it (even though I haven't) and move on.

We have a broken team rn. Looks like team has given up on management and coaching.

To me it looks like the team has given up on each other.  When someone makes a mistake, their teammates don't put in the extra effort to cover for them...  and lord knows we're constantly making mistakes.  

Very beginning of 3rd period:  We're on the powerplay and Elias make a terrible giveaway about 20 seconds into the period.  JT Miller is visibly frustrated on the ice.