The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

Listening to Green that the team "looks tired"

WTF?

What does he mean tired? 

Tired sleepy? Not getting enough sleep?

Tired mentally? They're not sharp enough? The other team is out thinking them?

Tired physically?  Green is bag skating them too much?

Tired of hockey, playing on a recently gutted team?

Just seems like a strange word to use to use as an excuse.  Only 14 games played ffs.

They’ve played the most games this year by far and as always have the roughest travel schedule crossing the whole country. 

It’s one of the reasons I’m not ready to completely throw in the towel.

Yes they’re a complete mess - but they figured themselves out last home stand and could very well do it again at home with some time to practice between games. 

Not sure it means too much but Ottawa is actually pretty close to even for goal differential if you take away the Vancouver games too.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

They only sign those with teams that are cup contenders.  We are not and were not even a playoff team when we signed our veterans.  

Have you watched the games?  Our bottom 6 have been our best players this season!  It's sad, really. 

Look through any FA from previous years and you'll see NHL level players sign for league minimum, or slightly above it, all the time.

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

Listening to Green that the team "looks tired"

WTF?

What does he mean tired? 

Tired sleepy? Not getting enough sleep?

Tired mentally? They're not sharp enough? The other team is out thinking them?

Tired physically?  Green is bag skating them too much?

Tired of hockey, playing on a recently gutted team?

Just seems like a strange word to use to use as an excuse.  Only 14 games played ffs.

by "tired" does he mean

unprepared - coaching problem

discombobulated/lost - coaching/system problem

no urgency/intensity - coaching problem

no cohesion - team/coaching 

8 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Gee I wonder why?  Whoosh. 

so you think a team who has played the most this season with a lot of back to backs, then we end up playing a team who has had many days off, and you wonder why they are tired! :sadno:

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Wins are fantastic but my expectations are much lower after getting clobbered by MTL two games in a row. All I'm hoping for this year is good player development and some entertaining hockey.

Juolevi is a +2 this year and really helped settle down Myers game. I suggest we re-unite those two for a game or two. Olli is a good defensive players at the very least. He scored in his last game too. Keep Chatfield in tho he looked good.

It would be very prudent moving forward to give OJ more experience in this shorten sesson to prep him and JC (if both are going to be playing in the NHL next year) for next year cause Benn is a FA next year...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

Does anyone really believe this team shouldn't be doing better with the personnel they have?

The forward group on this team is hugely talented... they should be scoring a lot more.

But there is no imagination or intelligence in the offensive system.

The forwards are not playing to their potential... and they cannot win games with their limited goal output when there is no team defense being coached.

Last year Marky bailed out the poor defensive coaching and defensive lapses with an MVP season, this year he is gone, along with Tanev and the whole defense has degraded.... meanwhile Green continues with nothing changed in either his offensive or his defensive structure.

No wonder the team is a trainwreck.

Time to make changes before the whole team gets permanently damaged.

• Cheers 1

Lol there’s just no defending anything about how this team is playing right now. None. This is the worst effort from a Canuck team I’ve seen since the Keenan days. They just look like they simply...don’t care. You can’t point the blame in one singly direction either. It’s a sh*tshow to watch. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Wins are fantastic but my expectations are much lower after getting clobbered by MTL two games in a row. All I'm hoping for this year is good player development and some entertaining hockey.

Juolevi is a +2 this year and really helped settle down Myers game. I suggest we re-unite those two for a game or two. Olli is a good defensive players at the very least. He scored in his last game too. Keep Chatfield in tho he looked good.

Sit Myers, he hasnt used any of his god given size anyway. Just coughs up the puck

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There’s no way he gets to select a third coaching staff. He’s had more time than Gillis. It’s time. 

Who are the candidates for GM to replace Benning?

Travis Green is highly thought of so he might want to bolt if he can find a better opportunity as well.

Manny Malhotra looks like future head coach material in a couple years.

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

They’ve played the most games this year by far and as always have the roughest travel schedule crossing the whole country. 

It’s one of the reasons I’m not ready to completely throw in the towel.

Yes they’re a complete mess - but they figured themselves out last home stand and could very well do it again at home with some time to practice between games. 

Not sure it means too much but Ottawa is actually pretty close to even for goal differential if you take away the Vancouver games too.  

against a weak team like Ottawa.

4 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

These faceoff - percentage numbers are very surprising:

Beagle: 38,5%

Horvat:  39,1%

Sutter:   16,7%

Usually all three players are pretty good at the dot, with Horvat and Beagle usually above 50%. Is this due to the fact that Manny Malhotra is no longer with the team?

With such a tight schedule you have to make full use of your taxi squad! Sit Hughes and Benn for 2-3 games and throw in players like Rathbone and Juolevi. Can't understand why Juolevi is not playing.

Brutal numbers. With such widespread issues plaguing this team so far this year, I think the faceoffs are just another in a long list of things that are going wrong because of "reasons we don't know". There is something seriously wrong somewhere.

16 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Beep off 

Between you and @bree2. Just understand that Jim Benning and Mike Green will be fired after this season. I know your heart aches but the Benning days are over. No more 6x6 contracts, no more Brandon Sutter, no more Rousell, no more Jay Beagles. The future is bright without Benning and Green running the show. :towel:FIRE BENNING 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1