The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Make no mistake many players are lost. Many players are making mistakes but we need coaches that can pull it together, adapt, adjust .... in game !!! 

Our coaches don’t say a word during the game, not a word 

just stand there line a deer in the headlights 

Toronto coaches were talking to their players all game, very noticeable 

Just now, *Buzzsaw* said:

Does anyone really believe this team shouldn't be doing better with the personnel they have?

The forward group on this team is hugely talented... they should be scoring a lot more.

But there is no imagination or intelligence in the offensive system.

The forwards are not playing to their potential... and they cannot win games with their limited goal output when there is no team defense being coached.

Last year Marky bailed out the poor defensive coaching and defensive lapses with an MVP season, this year he is gone, along with Tanev and the whole defense has degraded.... meanwhile Green continues with nothing changed in either his offensive or his defensive structure.

No wonder the team is a trainwreck.

Time to make changes before the whole team gets permanently damaged.

I usually like to default to the coach but this is pretty close to how I see it too.  Either his plan isn’t working or he’s struggling to get the guys to buy into it.

He doesn’t have a contract - certainly he’s on thin ice.

I was surprised to see his record was the same as Willy’s.  

I hate blaming the coach when the players are clearly crapping their pants too but it is the easiest button to press to shake it up. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Does anyone really believe this team shouldn't be doing better with the personnel they have?

The forward group on this team is hugely talented... they should be scoring a lot more.

The forwards are not playing to their potential... and they cannot win games with their limited goal output when there is no team defense being coached.

Last year Marky bailed out the poor defensive coaching and defensive lapses with an MVP season, this year he is gone, along with Tanev and the whole defense has degraded.... meanwhile Green continues with nothing changed in either his offensive or his defensive structure.

I dont think i saw as many 2 on 1s last year as this small sample of games have shown. terrible decision making in passes are sinking this team. 

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

It would be nice to see him benched some of the struggling veterans as well other than the usual suspect cause it has to send the wrong message in the locker room that some are untouchables despite there performance...

Just now, ilduce39 said:

I usually like to default to the coach but this is pretty close to how I see it too.  Either his plan isn’t working or he’s struggling to get the guys to buy into it.

He doesn’t have a contract - certainly he’s on thin ice.

I was surprised to see his record was the same as Willy’s.  

I hate blaming the coach when the players are clearly crapping their pants too but it is the easiest button to press to shake it up. 

Agree with the post, but why Moussilini ?

&^@# off Travis. The team can't play the way you'd like because they are exhausted. You're refusing to change the systems and style of hockey they play. You need to adapt, which you are incapable of doing apparently. No wonder we're failing 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Wayne Glensky said:

Between you and @bree2. Just understand that Jim Benning and Mike Green will be fired after this season. I know your heart aches but the Benning days are over. No more 6x6 contracts, no more Brandon Sutter, no more Rousell, no more Jay Beagles. The future is bright without Benning and Green running the show. :towel:FIRE BENNING 

yep, when someone that is not the brightest in the room ,  tries to make out they think they know everything. oh and by the way  GO CANUCKS GO!!!

• Like 1

Due to life, I only watched the 2nd (thankfully).

I’ve been a Green supporter, but I think maybe the the team is tuning him out now.  There’s no other explanation. It’s not the losing, it’s how we’re losing. Complete, utter breakdowns, and lack of effort.
Could the condensed schedule have this much effect on a team? Or all the Covid rules? Nope, all the teams are effected equally. Something is not right. 
Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s possible to do a coaching change right now. 2 weeks without a head coach? Nope. A coaching change will have to wait until the season's end. Was Malholtra that much of a positive influence?

a trade to shake up the team? Who would go? Who would we be willing to sacrifice long term just to try save a crappy, condensed, possibly not even finishing season? 

As crappy as this sounds, I think we play OJ, Chatfield, Rafferty, and Hoglander lots, and just ride out the season. Take our lumps this year.

sigh....go Canucks....

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

I wonder how bad we will need to lose before the league will finally let us win the draft lottery.  Lol

Benning will get fired.

His replacement will be some analytics nerd who inherits a hugely talented core, a 1OA and most of the contracts / luongo recapture will be expiring in a year.  We’ll rebound next year so everyone will be clamouring to sign with us for cheap. 

The nerd will be called “shrewd” and every phrase synonymous with “breath of fresh air” for managing a team that basically builds itself.

I will be mocked for making sarcastic comments about it.  

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

If they haven't had a team meeting yet , the time is now.

Would be a good way to get a pile of stress of their plate and see if they can rebound

Just have it out and have the leaders set the tone but also listen, so everyone can try to sort out their #$@t

Can analyze the crap out of this team, is it coaching, players, JB blah, blah,  but in the end the players we have can perform one heck of a lot better 

They need to ignore the "noise" and reset themselves as a unit.

• Cheers 2