The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I was saying this for years. Rookie gm rookie coaches. All had to learn on the job. 

Our gm needs to be an executive type. Quick witted man who understands money and contracts and future planning.

Jb should be asst gm in charge of scouting and drafting.

Many ppl attacked me on cdc for these views but looks like most are coming around now..

Would Benning accept a demotion? That would be ideal. Keep him on as the head of scouting. He’s a natural at drafting talent. That much is obvious. 

I honestly can’t see a team hiring him to manage their team after his tenure here. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Is it me or did our d pinch this much last year. Or it's the same amount but we aren't scoring, maintaining pressure, turning it over and it results in all these quality chances. 

I think it’s the same or even less. Remember Quinn was EVERYWHERE on the ice last season. I think there’s a real Tanev sized hole to make up for when things don’t work. And we really don’t have the D zone bulldog like Stecher anymore. We lost a lot of what was already a weak D group.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Darth Canuck said:

Due to life, I only watched the 2nd (thankfully).

I’ve been a Green supporter, but I think maybe the the team is tuning him out now.  There’s no other explanation. It’s not the losing, it’s how we’re losing. Complete, utter breakdowns, and lack of effort.
Could the condensed schedule have this much effect on a team? Or all the Covid rules? Nope, all the teams are effected equally. Something is not right. 
Unfortunately, I don’t think it’s possible to do a coaching change right now. 2 weeks without a head coach? Nope. A coaching change will have to wait until the season's end. Was Malholtra that much of a positive influence?

a trade to shake up the team? Who would go? Who would we be willing to sacrifice long term just to try save a crappy, condensed, possibly not even finishing season? 

As crappy as this sounds, I think we play OJ, Chatfield, Rafferty, and Hoglander lots, and just ride out the season. Take our lumps this year.

sigh....go Canucks....

I agree with this cause this is a good time to see if any of these players are part of the longterm - moving forward.

If JB remains, he should do a better job communicating with his players/team and letting them know that he has there back whether they are leaving or staying cause working for someone that doesnt have your back is a cancer to workforce morale).  JB seems to not be a corporate creature (unlike, Weisbrod) but who knows how the office politics is between management ...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

5 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

The team  needs to play with attitude and a chip on  its shoulder.  They play soft and fancy hockey.  I'd like to see Bo lead the way on that. For a big heavy guy, he plays a very non physical game.

He learned well from his Swedish master.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

I know this sounds rotten but

IMO, Aqualini should not agree to any trades this season

Just ride it out and take our lumps

If he wants to hire a new GM, that is fine

If he wants to hire a new coach, that is fine

But no trading assets while we are down

No trading 1st and 2nds while we are down

Nor at season's end.......

We will have cap space and time to figure a new plan of attack

It could get rough, but ride it out

We are not the worst team in the league or even the division, so just ride it out

It just is not the time to make big player changes

Coaches, and GM's, I am OK with

The Canucks may very well be the worst team in the division in a weeks time. Ottawa beat Montreal tonight. 

• Huggy Bear 2

7 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

If they haven't had a team meeting yet , the time is now.

Would be a good way to get a pile of stress of their plate and see if they can rebound

Just have it out and have the leaders set the tone but also listen, so everyone can try to sort out their #$@t

Can analyze the crap out of this team, is it coaching, players, JB blah, blah,  but in the end the players we have can perform one heck of a lot better 

They need to ignore the "noise" and reset themselves as a unit.

They hold a team meeting, win on Saturday thn back to sh*t...100!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, kilgore said:

We miss Stecher more than most fans will admit.  He was one of our best defensive d-men.  One of our quickest at puck recovery and getting it or moving it out of the zone.  And was relied on for the PK. Paired with Edler last season and the playoffs, they had the best plus minuses on the team. He's exactly what we need more of.

I don't know about all of that but he damn sure gave everything he had and found ways to win battles. That's what this team needs more than anything.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Is it me or did our d pinch this much last year. Or it's the same amount but we aren't scoring, maintaining pressure, turning it over and it results in all these quality chances. 

I think maybe , but defensively had coverage and far less poor passing/intercepts. Seems to me they could pass the puck to each other with ease, crisp tape to tape. this year its a gong show. And i'm hoping nate has more to show than this and myers just plays simple defensive hockey. Edler has always  given to much space to attackers coming in or screens our keepers out. Quinn needs tanev , but its his turnovers that's hurting him the most.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I know this sounds rotten but

IMO, Aqualini should not agree to any trades this season

Just ride it out and take our lumps

If he wants to hire a new GM, that is fine

If he wants to hire a new coach, that is fine

But no trading assets while we are down

No trading 1st and 2nds while we are down

Nor at season's end.......

We will have cap space and time to figure a new plan of attack

It could get rough, but ride it out

We are not the worst team in the league or even the division, so just ride it out

It just is not the time to make big player changes

Coaches, and GM's, I am OK with

Unless they involve moving out bad contracts

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I agree with this cause this is a good time to see if any of these players are part of the longterm - moving forward.

If JB remains, he should do a better job communicating with his players/team and letting them know that he has there back whether they are leaving or staying cause working for someone that doesnt have your back is a cancer to workforce morale).  JB seems to not be a corporate creature (unlike, Weisbrod) but who knows how the office politics is between management ...

A little bit too late for that now.

1 minute ago, VforVirtanen said:

For all the heat on Benning for giving up Tanev and Markstrom, it certainly hasn’t made Calgary into a powerhouse by adding them. They are sucking pretty badly too. 

The funny thing is that the Flames play exactly as Canucks do when we are good.

Storming the other goal, multiple good chanses, while Marky has to save the day, if he can... 

Is this a standard NA hockey thing?

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks may very well be the worst team in the division in a weeks time. Ottawa beat Montreal tonight. 

With everything going on in the world, it is pretty disturbing that this is probably our year to get our FIRST EVER 1st OA pick - we seem to be cursed...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1