The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I want wins.  but THIS year.  This SPECIFIC year I am ok with mediocre or worse.

Why?

Lower contracts for those needing them in a year where we'll have serious cap space opening up.  Lower overall numbers ensure lower overall bargaining power but also, covid economy.  Some players will possibly get ridiculously good deals from a cap standpoint

Much like last seasons summer playoffs...who cares?  Honestly, it's such an off or weird year and at any point in time any team could see 1-3-10 players off due to covid.  Everything this year is an asterisk.

Better, higher draft pick.  Self explanatory.

This sucks, hate seeing losses come up.  But if we're going to be mediocre or bad; it's not a bad year to see it happen after such a large retool.

If we’re going to win a cup with this core this is the flukey kind of luck we could use.  

The little playoff run to give up our 1st last draft and then an impromptu tank with a talented roster to take the bite out of Petey/Hughes’ new contracts and a lottery win as the icing.  

I’d still take us just plain old fashioned turning it around and playing better starting Saturday but this is a comforting silver lining.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, VforVirtanen said:

For all the heat on Benning for giving up Tanev and Markstrom, it certainly hasn’t made Calgary into a powerhouse by adding them. They are sucking pretty badly too. 

They were our heart and soul players. Marky and Tanev will bleed blue and green till the day they retire.  Flames just got two pretty good players and that's it.

No amount of filthy George Canyon money can change that.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Canucks may very well be the worst team in the division in a weeks time. Ottawa beat Montreal tonight. 

I wouldn't base any conclusions on the basis of one game tbh.  I didn't watch that game; but I'm assuming it was just a case of the Habs not taking their opponent seriously.  Sens *are* the worst team in the division.  Where we fit in, that's more up for debate imho.

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I want wins.  but THIS year.  This SPECIFIC year I am ok with mediocre or worse.

Why?

Lower contracts for those needing them in a year where we'll have serious cap space opening up.  Lower overall numbers ensure lower overall bargaining power but also, covid economy.  Some players will possibly get ridiculously good deals from a cap standpoint

Much like last seasons summer playoffs...who cares?  Honestly, it's such an off or weird year and at any point in time any team could see 1-3-10 players off due to covid.  Everything this year is an asterisk.

Better, higher draft pick.  Self explanatory.

This sucks, hate seeing losses come up.  But if we're going to be mediocre or bad; it's not a bad year to see it happen after such a large retool.

I agree with this take, only if Toronto doesn’t advance far in the playoffs. I couldn’t handle both things happening this year.

They took away Marky, Tanev, Stetcher and Leivo. Taffoli also fit in really well. 

Brought in Schmidt and Holtby . From within our system we added Hoglander and Chatfield. Plus a few other lose ends.

This team has no chemistry and this year is short with no preseason . Plus they have the worst schedule at the first part of the year. It can take some teams 20 or more games to fit a couple of players in. We lots 5 key players.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Would Benning accept a demotion? Would anyone actually hire him as a GM after his tenure here?

No he wont be ok being demoted. I think he gets fired end of season

His biggest fault is the horrible contracts and the term he hands out like candy...this led to losing Toffoli and Tanev. 

I would have kept Demko over Marky at 6*6 so no issue there.

But Loui Myers Beagle Sutter Rooster all over paid and signed for 2 years too many.

Ferland should have been offered 2 yrs. No one wanted to touch him with his concussion history Jimbo goes out signs him long term. Aqua cant be happy about paying that money. Baer signed long term then demoted following season eating cap and millions of dollars in the minors..

He has no semse of planning for the future..too much meat and potatoes. 

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I wouldn't base any conclusions on the basis of one game tbh.  I didn't watch that game; but I'm assuming it was just a case of the Habs not taking their opponent seriously.  Sens *are* the worst team in the division.  Where we fit in, that's more up for debate imho.

They seem to take the Canucks....seriously enough to whoop their asses. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Unless they involve moving out bad contracts

No....That is the point......

It costs to get rid of those contracts

what do you want to give up?

I want our picks and prospects

so...just let them rot

IMO......Loui to Utica

That is about it

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

With everything going on in the world, it is pretty disturbing that this is probably our year to get our FIRST EVER 1st OA pick - we seem to be cursed....

They should just seed the draft by position this year. Drafting these barely played/scouted kids IS the lottery.

Edited by EmilyM

2 minutes ago, Dogcrazy said:

From the last Canadian team standing to the leagues laughing stock in just one off season, way to good management!  

Marky, Tanny, Stecher, Toffoli, and Coach Manny, you guys are missed!  

Ye of little faith   

Just now, VforVirtanen said:

Silver Lining: when we put it together and go on a tear to squeak into the playoffs we will be getting hot at just the right time. 

The packed schedule now has to mean a light schedule later. 

Alberta doesn’t look great. If we can beat them more times then they beat us we have a chance at some playoffs. Who knows, sure is a rough start to the season though