The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Another 7 goals against and outshot again - problem with the team the last few years is that they needed their goalie to play like Hasek for them to win.
You need start to looking at the coaching aspect. I don't believe you should fire the entire coaching /GM staff mid season but do have look at change in the areas of weakness. This unfortunately points to Baumgarnter - sure he is well liked and respected but he needs to change something with his system (or even worst, players are simply not listening to him) or need to replace him.  When their GAA is among the WORST in hockey, speaks for itself and is not a quick fix reaction - simple fact. You just cannot rely on your goalie each night to survive.   - I always remember the systems employed by Trotz in Washington and John Stevens in LA and the success they brought. Strength at key positions along with sound systems.  Pretty sure Holtby and Pearson can provide good feedback.

Good luck to everyone..

4 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I was saying this for years. Rookie gm rookie coaches. All had to learn on the job. 

Our gm needs to be an executive type. Quick witted man who understands money and contracts and future planning.

Jb should be asst gm in charge of scouting and drafting.

Many ppl attacked me on cdc for these views but looks like most are coming around now..

This team, with the air starting to come out of the Sedin era balloon, should have had an experienced GM for that coming important transition.  And sure, hire Benning in charge of scouting if you like. I also think a President is important, and Linden working with a veteran GM where he could learn a lot would have been ideal for him. A veteran GM also may have valued more the talents of Gilman. Who knows.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

Alberta doesn’t look great. If we can beat them more times then they beat us we have a chance at some playoffs. Who knows, sure is a rough start to the season though

Absolutely. I give us a coin toss chance to make that number 4 spot. Certainly not claiming it is a guaranteed chance. 

if we do we should be on a pretty good roll by then. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Still shouldn’t be this bad. Sorry but Toffoli and Tanev don’t make up for an extra 4 goals against a game 

Team leadership, depth and team culture are vastly different with those two on the team and in the dressing room. 

Team plays more cohesively and as a unit instead of running around like a chicken with its head cut off.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, rekker said:

Is it me or did our d pinch this much last year. Or it's the same amount but we aren't scoring, maintaining pressure, turning it over and it results in all these quality chances. 

It's not just you....  our D is just roaming like crazy, our forwards aren't covering for them, everybody is committing turnovers, just a circus out there. 

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Still shouldn’t be this bad. Sorry but Toffoli and Tanev don’t make up for an extra 4 goals against a game 

That’s the part of this where I balk as well.  Toffoli’s biggest impact would just be that we don’t have to play him.  

We replaced Tanev with Schmidt who was a stud on a team better than us last year.  

I’m on the fence about the coaching issues - maybe that’s a piece of the puzzle. But it’s also largely mental - which means it can get worse and the team can keep imploding - or it can snap back and all of a sudden we’re scratching our heads as to why we sucked to bad to start the year.

(“Chemistry” they’ll say.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, kilgore said:

This team, with the air starting to come out of the Sedin era balloon, should have had an experienced GM for that coming important transition.  And sure, hire Benning in charge of scouting if you like. I also think a President is important, and Linden working with a veteran GM where he could learn a lot would have been ideal for him. A veteran GM also may have valued more the talents of Gilman. Who knows.

Yeah, the Benning era was missing that unified vision right off the bat and now we're left with a bunch of used bandaids in the tub.

• Cheers 2

We all knew coming into the season the North Div would be a battle. I still think we will be in a dog fight for a playoff spot but the boys look like a shell of the bubble team they were just a few months back. Then we seemed to be driven, playing hard for oneanother, all pulling on the same rope. So far, we've been disjointed, slower as a team and our defensive play indefensible.

However, we have about 40 game to go so there is plenty of season left but if we keep this type of play up for even another week, we may well be on our way to a lottery pick but like others have posted, that may not be all bad. On paper we are not as deep as we were last year and this mini series are actually quite interesting as every game really is vital.

The most disapointing thing to me if the effort level and response after tough losses. Tonight when Simmonds ran and rocked Hughes I yelled "FIGHT HIM" and my 5 year old child said why because she had never seen a hockey fight and was curious why the refs would let these two boys fight. I explained why our player should fight theirs for the hard hit they put on our superstar D. Benn stepped up and even though Simmonds wasn't punished, at least someone stood up for a teammate. Haven't seen that enough from a Canucks group who seem to be disinterested thus far. Man, it plays like that where I wish we had a healthy Michael Ferland.

I personally think it's too soon to get rid of Green or Benning. It's been a strange calendar year and although the present has been rough, the future still is very bright for this club IMHO.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

yep, Tuffoli has score 1 goal in 6 non Canuck games 

need to keep it in perspective

Tanev ... well he's been a stalwart defensive guy for the flames , just like us but he couldn't stop this bleeding

We are better then this

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, hockeyfan-observer said:

Another 7 goals against and outshot again - problem with the team the last few years is that they needed their goalie to play like Hasek for them to win.
You need start to looking at the coaching aspect. I don't believe you should fire the entire coaching /GM staff mid season but do have look at change in the areas of weakness. This unfortunately points to Baumgarnter - sure he is well liked and respected but he needs to change something with his system (or even worst, players are simply not listening to him) or need to replace him.  When their GAA is among the WORST in hockey, speaks for itself and is not a quick fix reaction - simple fact. You just cannot rely on your goalie each night to survive.   - I always remember the systems employed by Trotz in Washington and John Stevens in LA and the success they brought. Strength at key positions along with sound systems.  Pretty sure Holtby and Pearson can provide good feedback.

Good luck to everyone..

Good Post. It’s gotta come within at least for this season. Save the changes for the off-season cause it doesn’t look easy to do during this covid season. There is no way we should be leaking goals like this. The player personal is good enough to at least be in the middle of that pack in the league

This is a new level. Markstrom wouldn’t be winning games like this for us either.