The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Tyler Myers - 6M 
Loui Eriksson - 6M 
Brandon Sutter - 4.375M
Michael Ferland - 3.5M
Roberto Luengo 3M
Antoinne Roussel - 3M
Jay Beagle - 3M 
Jordie Benn - 2M 
Sven Bartschi 2.291M
Ryan Spooner - 1.033M

Tyler Myers - 6M  5 years
Loui Eriksson - 6M  6 years
Brandon Sutter - 4.375M  4 years
Michael Ferland - 3.5M  4 years
Antoinne Roussel - 3M  4 years
Jay Beagle - 3M  4 years
Jordie Benn - 2M  2 years
Sven Bartschi 3.36M  3 years
Ryan Spooner - 1.033M

Luongo was not JBs fault

Baer makes 3.36 not 2.291

• Hydration 1
Just now, rekker said:

It will be interesting. Good year to tank. No bums in the seats anyways. Draft isn't far off. Maybe shed a few assets like Sutter, Pearson, at the deadline

6C1980DD-C72F-4374-95E6-ABC720E08402.jpeg

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Provost said:

I posted in another thread a week or so ago.  Benning’s record has been above average, but excellent is a stretch.

I did a year by comparison of who we would have drafted in the 1st rounds if we used the various draft rankings as the lists and took the best player available from those lists.

Benning beat out the ISS rankings, but lost to other guys like Button.

If we went with Button’s list for example we would have ended up with Nylander, McCann, Boeser (who he had ranked 9th), Ehlers, Vilardi, and Hughes.

The big win for Benning was picking Petterson, most lists had him at least a couple spots later.  Hughes was picked by most lists in that spot or higher, so that is kind of a wash.  The big losses for Benning were Virtanen and Juolevi...

I don’t think we can overplay Benning’s drafting genius when pundits in the press can out draft him.  Above average drafting certainly doesn’t make up for below average in other areas unfortunately.  Benning is a below average GM.

Juolevi and Virtanen are NHL players. Don’t really see them as losses. He’s drafted three Calder nominees in a row. That’s not too shabby. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

So you're saying Marky isn't good? Numbers look good right now best stats in the high scoring north division for starting goalies.

Without him no playoffs last year and we were giving up shots and chances last year. This year Demko/Holtby have shown not as capable to bail us out.

But yeah on a team like ours he must be not be.

Right.

Your not reading my posts I guess. I said he's not elite, I didn't say he wasn't good. Marky is a very good goalie and I wish we could have kept him but no way I would have signed him to that contract

• Hydration 1
1 minute ago, Provost said:

I posted in another thread a week or so ago.  Benning’s record has been above average, but excellent is a stretch.

I did a year by comparison of who we would have drafted in the 1st rounds if we used the various draft rankings as the lists and took the best player available from those lists.

Benning beat out the ISS rankings, but lost to other guys like Button.

If we went with Button’s list for example we would have ended up with Nylander, McCann, Boeser (who he had ranked 9th), Ehlers, Vilardi, and Hughes.

The big win for Benning was picking Petterson, most lists had him at least a couple spots later.  Hughes was picked by most lists in that spot or higher, so that is kind of a wash.  The big losses for Benning were Virtanen and Juolevi...

I don’t think we can overplay Benning’s drafting genius when pundits in the press can out draft him.  Above average drafting certainly doesn’t make up for below average in other areas unfortunately.  Benning is a below average GM.

I'd be very curious to see some sort of statistical analysis of all the teams draft picks of the last few years. Say what we will about Jake and OJ, they're on the current roster as are players from every draft Benning has done from '14-'19 (excluding '20, too early). I know volume of players isn't the only determining factor in draft success, but that's a pretty darn good batting average and I wonder if that compares only as above average vs other teams.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, rekker said:

It will be interesting. Good year to tank. No bums in the seats anyways. Draft isn't far off. Maybe shed a few assets like Sutter, Pearson, at the deadline

At this point we need a whole sale change in defense. Aside for Hughes and maybe schmidt, the rest can go. That means goodbye Edler, Myers, Benn etc. Trade Schmidt if its for good defense prospect.

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Prior to the pandemic, the Aquillini's would sign any cheque Benning brings his way via free agency. You want an owner who leaves the door to the vault open for you. 

The mess we're in with all the poor contracts is on Benning.

What if Linden was still the president? He's the one brought in Benning and the snake Wisebroad, even though everyone said we needed a more experienced GM with a championship team building pedigree.

Maybe Linden's feeling lucky to leave this mess early and having the last laugh now.

• Hydration 1
3 minutes ago, We_Are_All_Canucks_4_life said:

Everyone keeps bringing up the loungo contract as another reason to fire benning but he had nothing to do with it.

he said he knew that is was coming at the 2019 draft. why didn't he trade a 7th for the contract and put him on LITR 

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Every time we get someone who we feel can be that guy, they get hurt.

JB has swung and missed so many times on adding that element to the roster.  It’s not from lack of trying but damn.

They either get hurt, suck or go back to Russia.

Dorsett, Roussel, Ferland, Sbisa, Gudbranson, Schaller, Pedan, Prust, Tryamkin

• Like 1
  • Hydration 3
2 minutes ago, 1-d said:

What if Linden was still the president? He's the one brought in Benning and the snake Wisebroad, even though everyone said we needed a more experienced GM with a championship team building pedigree.

Maybe Linden's feeling lucky to leave this mess early and having the last laugh now.

Wasn't Benning the GM of the team first?  Seems odd, Linden would be the guy hiring someone working under Benning.  You'd think Benning would want to do that.

1 minute ago, killerjonan said:

does anyone know where i can find travis green's post game comments? i'd like to hear what he has to say today

He just sat there for 5 minutes making farting noises with his mouth whenever a reporter tried to ask a question.

• Haha 3
Just now, 1-d said:

who is the genius to hire Wisebrod? Isnt he the clown that messed up on a deadline or something? Can we hire Gillis again? I wouldnt mind giving him a 2nd shot at this. He was the GM that had us closest to winning the cup and I think he has that ability to make our team a contender again.

• SNuck unpinned and unfeatured this topic