The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

34 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Chatfield wasn't even out there?  Not sure that you can justify Simmonds charging Quinn like that (you can't).

This was way before Simmonds on Hughes 

If you can serve it you should be willing to eat it too.

Edited by WHL rocks
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Sbriggs said:

Your not reading my posts I guess. I said he's not elite, I didn't say he wasn't good. Marky is a very good goalie and I wish we could have kept him but no way I would have signed him to that contract

I wouldn't have signed him either. He's the only guy who would have made a difference in how we were playing though. Demko/Holtby can't bail us out as much as Marky did.

Demmer made more sense. We've seen his potential for a 2nd year player.

Overall we may need to see changes with the coaching and management.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Wasn't Benning the GM of the team first?  Seems odd, Linden would be the guy hiring someone working under Benning.  You'd think Benning would want to do that.

My memory is kinda fuzzy but I think you're right. Apparently Weisbroad was hired a couple of months after Benning, so It makes more sense for the hiring to happen that way.

6 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'm curious - did Malhotra run the powerplay here?

Has losing Malhotra resulted in losing faceoffs?

Looks to me like the Canucks still dominate in the faceoff circle.

Beagle 57.9% as usual (actually, tends to start slower and build as the season progresses - he's already at an 'elite' level.)

Horvat 55.4%

Sutter 52.5%

Miller 50.8% is the only guy who would be 'expected' to be higher - and he missed games, it's early - and I'm pretty certain will 'return to mean'.

I love Malhotra - and did when he was a player here - but people move on to new challenges - and sometimes, back/close to home (he's from Mississauga).

The idea that the team needs Malhotra in order to be successful - sounds like a tangent / excuse to me.

It's not about the faceoffs.

I'll give you one guess as to who is running the powerplay in Toronto.

The one that is actually good.

We could have kept him for that role, but we went with the guy whose ideas were stale 10 years ago the first time around. "The devil we know".

If it's the devil why... keep it?

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

I wouldn't have signed him either. He's the only guy who would have made a difference in how we were playing though. Demko/Holtby can't bail us out as much as Marky did.

Demmer made more sense. We've seen his potential for a 2nd year player.

Overall we may need to see changes with the coaching and management.

Well if your asking if we should have signed Holtby thats a different subject. New coaching staff and maybe some management help but I would like to keep JB in some form if we can. He's a good hockey man

MacEwen better be in the lineup tomorrow to take runs at Marner or Nylander. Simmonds taking a run at Hughes with 3 mins left in a blowout game is unacceptable. I know Benn stood up for him and got beat up for it but I want to see the Leafs star players get rough treatment tomorrow! 

• Cheers 3

Just now, We_Are_All_Canucks_4_life said:

Who can say if that would have even worked. Loungo chose to retire.

benning said he knew it was coming Florida told him at the draft expect a retirement in the comming week. We are lucky that he did not retire a week later otherwise the penalty would have been 8 million

2 minutes ago, brownky said:

It's not about the faceoffs.

I'll give you one guess as to who is running the powerplay in Toronto.

The one that is actually good.

We could have kept him for that role, but we went with the guy whose ideas were stale 10 years ago the first time around. "The devil we know".

If it's the devil why... keep it?

Newell Brown also needs to go 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

benning said he knew it was coming Florida told him at the draft expect a retirement in the comming week. We are lucky that he did not retire a week later otherwise the penalty would have been 8 million

Just because benning knew it was coming doesnt mean he could have done something about it. 

Just now, Sbriggs said:

Well if your asking if we should have signed Holtby thats a different subject. New coaching staff and maybe some management help but I would like to keep JB in some form if we can. He's a good hockey man

No I am fine with Holtby.

My point when stating the original post you replied to was that we need to be better in front of our goalies in general. We don't have a Marky to bail us out anymore and relying on goalies as much as we do isn't winning hockey. Gotta play better team D.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

At this point we need a whole sale change in defense. Aside for Hughes and maybe schmidt, the rest can go. That means goodbye Edler, Myers, Benn etc. Trade Schmidt if its for good defense prospect.

There needs to be some changes for sure. Please, please add some "nasty" on D. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

No I am fine with Holtby.

My point when stating the original post you replied to was that we need to be better in front of our goalies in general. We don't have a Marky to bail us out anymore and relying on goalies as much as we do isn't winning hockey. Gotta play better team D.

Agree but all teams need goalies to steel games now and then for sure

6 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

He is probably gonna be 'promoted' to President of Hockey Ops. The best outcome imho. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

We are the most pathetic team in the league and it's not even close. At least Ottawa had nothing to build on from last season...

100% We are the worst, any confidence last season brought the fanbase is now completely 

washed away. Canucks hockey at its finest, they bring you up then smash you down. Canucks hockey.

• Cheers 1