The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

i don't think u know the rules. If he retired do to an "injury" or a injury that  prevented him from playing the capture penalty would not have been applied, because he did not retire on his own terms.

?  Players on LTIR don't officially retire until their contract expires.  If you're getting a paycheck, you have to go in for physicals every year, etc.

34 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Thats like half a team, yet we let Tanev, Marky and Toffoli walk. Why was Virtanen not traded? That alone would have created some cap space. Tanev and Toffoli cap hit would have equalled schmidt and Virtanens cap hit. 

Agree - Lazy Jake should have been DEPORTED in the off season to somewhere deep in the South East Division (where we'd never see or hear of him ever again)   Letting Toffoli walk is probably the second worst thing JB has ever done (after signing L.E.)   In any court of reason - for those two things alone - he should be let go.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Shanaplan - 7

Benning No plan plan - back to the drawing board.

Gee Horvat looked so "professional" explaining the loss again.

Spamaplan - 4 first round exits.

Benning's team went further with a core of 20 and 21 year olds (and no pair of lottery champions).

thanks for the fishbowl selfie, though.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 4

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

?  Players on LTIR don't officially retire until their contract expires.  If you're getting a paycheck, you have to go in for physicals every year, etc.

Hossa contract was a similar to the Luongo contract had he retired before it ended the Hawks would have had a recapture penalty. But because he retired due a "medical issue" the cap recapture won't apply

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Everyone has been saying this for years.

I'm curious as to why he has not been let go already.

Just my opinion but,

There's been this pattern of the fanbase being frustrated with coaching and then the team starts playing well again. 

Management just seems to be reluctant or hesitant to make any moves and they forget about it as soon as the team strings together a few wins. It's so short-sighted to me that its not even funny. 

GMJB and the management team need to realize that this pattern won't bring them to the cup in the long run. 

On paper, this team should be one of the top, talent-wise in the North division. 

Even defensively, we shouldn't be this bad. 

All the analysts and hockey experts even thought that the Canucks would place first in the North division or at least be in the top three.

Right now, we're being outscored like a minor league team playing in the NHL.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I wouldn't base any conclusions on the basis of one game tbh.  I didn't watch that game; but I'm assuming it was just a case of the Habs not taking their opponent seriously.  Sens *are* the worst team in the division.  Where we fit in, that's more up for debate imho.

We are the 4th worst team in entire NHL.  Not much better than Sens.

45 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Tofu has 8 goals against us, and 1 goal against the rest of the division.  I'm going to go ahead and chalk that up to us being a terrible team.  I'd love to have Tofu over a lot of 3rd line wingers, but he's not the reason that we're sucking this bad.  

We'll have to agree to disagree.  Benning got us some good players this off-season, so unfortunately I have to blame the leadership and the coaching for our poor start.  

Silver lining:  Juolevi and Chatfield have proven themselves to be NHL calibre.  We might be able to resign Elias and Quinn for 7 mil and 5 mil if they keep playing like this.  

If Hughes ends up leading the league in assists then $5mil won’t be close. Think something closer to Barzal’s deal.

4 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Problem when signing guys for toughness is half of those guys were past their “prime” for toughness landing bigger longer contracts/extensions/ etc. Gotta draft young guys who play tough. Where asides from Jake Benning like the lighter skilled guys. I do hope Tryamkin comes back but that’s a hope we’ll see. 

I’ve had that thought too - it’s a tough way to play and while it’s tempting to go after those guys who can actually keep up with the middle 6, etc might be better to try and draft or sign them out of college / as undrafted players...(like MacEwen!)