The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Liked our game. Unlucky bounces. Good team over there. 
-Travis Green probably 

u know its bad when Jason Brough called in  after chugging Crown Royal and Travis didn't answer his question

1 minute ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Just my opinion but,

There's been this pattern of the fanbase being frustrated with coaching and then the team starts playing well again. 

Management just seems to be reluctant or hesitant to make any moves and they forget about it as soon as the team strings together a few wins. It's so short-sighted to me that its not even funny. 

GMJB and the management team need to realize that this pattern won't bring them to the cup in the long run. 

On paper, this team should be one of the top, talent-wise in the North division. 

Even defensively, we shouldn't be this bad. 

Eastern Conference teams play with more skill and speed. Western teams play a heavier game

We simply dont have the speed to keep up with MTL and TML

• Hydration 1
8 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Wadr - if you have Tavares, Marner, Matchews, Reilly, Double-Flamingo on your 1st powerplay unit - and you need to bring in a powerplay coach....LOL.

That's not what they signed him for.

He went there to make better two way players out of guys out of their young top 10 picks...

The reality is that Malhotra was a free agent - both teams made offers to him - he chose Toronto.

The whining around here - as if he was "let go" is misrepresentative / revision.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/power-play-dominance-just-one-aspect-malhotras-early-impact-leafs/

Which brings us to another strong indicator about Malhotra’s growing aptitude for the job: The Maple Leafs boast the NHL’s most lethal power play at 43.3 per cent as the Canucks arrive at Scotiabank Arena for the start of a three-game set Thursday.

This has been his baby since coming to Toronto and maybe not the most seamless fit given that Malhotra made his name as a responsible checking centre -- something documented nicely in this profile by Sportsnet’s David Singh in August.

Oh, if that wasn't good enough...

That’s a scorching start with no exhibition play to fine-tune things and only a short training camp, which included a presentation from Malhotra about league-wide power-play trends and a detailed explanation about how he envisioned Toronto’s offensively-minded lineup finding more success with the man-advantage.

I figure the point is clear here.

And on the "let go" aspect - If you've got a 'junior' job and somebody offers you a senior job up the ladder, and the place you already work for doesn't do the same... are you gonna stay? The fact that 'other teams' were offering the same thing is telling.

Of course you're gonna go to one of them unless there's alternative reasons to not go, usually family.

Just realized that the owner's lone goal this year is to "save money", which means FA will not hire a new GM or coach if he does fire either/both. Most likely he'll promote from within...

So how does GM Weisbroad + head coach Baumgartner sound?

1 minute ago, Jetliner said:

hows signing toffoli suppose to improve our defense?

That's not the point - the point is that we could have kept Tofolli and signed another average DMan for less $ as it's not too hard to find another Dman like Schmidt from what I've seen of him so far.   He's is no boy wonder and certainly not worth the $'s we're paying him - that's for sure!!!  Maybe that will change down the road - but I'm not impressed like most.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I rather have Jovocop than Edler. Jovo plays with passion and can score goals and fight.

Mmm I sense your frustration, but pump the brakes a little here. Eddy is one of the longest tenured Canucks of all time and despite his gaffs and flaws he’s probably the best defenceman we have ever had. I know I just said that and take it the way you want but he’s a true Canuck through and through and doesn’t get enough respect from the fan base. He’s not perfect but any means but the Canucks would have and would be f**ked without him back there. 

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Have I said yet that Virtanen sucks?

Virtanen sucks.

Talk about misplaced anger. He was far from being the problem. Usually is. You sheeple just keep piling on him. 

3 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Liked our game. Unlucky bounces. Good team over there. 
-Travis Green probably 

“Boys played great”

“Held them to under 50 shots”

”Like the way we responded”

”Spezza is a hell of a player”

”I didn’t see the Hughes hit - will watch the tape later on”

• Like 2
  • Hydration 2

the silver lining is always there with any loss.

I can come in here and re-re-re-re-realize that a market full of entitled losers doesn't 'deserve' a winner.

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

u know its bad when Jason Brough called in  after chugging Crown Royal and Travis didn't answer his question

When I chug Crown Royal Travis doesn’t answer my questions either. You think you’re better than me? Stupid earthy colour. 

24 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Newell Brown also needs to go 

That was my point. Malhotra is running the PP in Toronto, instead we got... this guy.

• Upvote 1
Just now, 13231 said:

I'm taking that directly from Green from interviews where he explicitly states that he's not worried about high shot totals we give up each game. There is obviously a structural discrepancy in the coaching philosophy where the belief that giving up shots in the ballpark of 40 each game isn't something to worry about or needed to be corrected. So yes, there's a large reason to believe that coaching has a huge hand in the bizarre system our defense is currently executing 

That’s the system, to collapse and let shots from the outside. That’s why we’re always outshot.

The thing that bugs me the most is guys backing up at our blue line and letting guys walk right in our zone constantly. 

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Eastern Conference teams play with more skill and speed. Western teams play a heavier game

We simply dont have the speed to keep up with MTL and TML

..............Are you saying that Erikson and Sutter are slow, over the hill, deadwood anchors stuck in the sea bottom  type players???  Really?

• Haha 1
Just now, oldnews said:

the silver lining is always there with any loss.

I can come in here and re-re-re-re-realize that a market full of entitled losers doesn't 'deserve' a winner.

Leafs are ----> that way.

Reading posts on here sometimes reminds me how lucky I am to not be a pretentious jackass.

1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

Hossa contract was a similar to the Luongo contract had he retired before it ended the Hawks would have had a recapture penalty. But because he retired due a "medical issue" the cap recapture won't apply

Hossa's not officially retired though so he can go on LTIR.  Florida needed the cap space to sign Bobrovsky so couldn't wait to the start of the season to put him on LTIR (something I'm sure the Canucks wouldn't have loved to do either if they traded a 7th for him).  I know the rules.

• SNuck unpinned and unfeatured this topic