The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Here is another thing to hang our hats on.........

We have alot of very young talented players who be a year older next year

Not to mention,,,,,,our prospects and who ever we draft

For now we get to whine about a lose to the Leafs

I can almost live with that

36 minutes ago, Trebreh said:

MacEwen better be in the lineup tomorrow to take runs at Marner or Nylander. Simmonds taking a run at Hughes with 3 mins left in a blowout game is unacceptable. I know Benn stood up for him and got beat up for it but I want to see the Leafs star players get rough treatment tomorrow! 

Benn was way too gentlemanly in making a formal challenge after that classless cheapshot by Simmons. He should have just run at him and cross checked him in the mouth in the style of Duncan Keith. That would start a brawl which would be much more healthy for team bonding. I thought Jordy was a better fighter than he showed - guess he must have lost most of the family fights with Jamie! 

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

Wonder if Benning will actually get fired at any point this year.

Under normal circumstances I think he'd be on the hotseat, but I find it hard to believe Aqua would fire him given his financial situation.

well if greener doesnt get this team going, aint no extension happening.

1 minute ago, 13231 said:

That's just a brutal system, every shot on goal is a potential scoring chance not matter where it's coming from. Also leads to shaky coverage situations depending on where rebounds or deflections go. I don't understand how the coaching staff doesn't see the correlation between this awful system and the 5+ goals a game that we give up each game

1 minute ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

??

I don't know why we wouldn't have the speed and skill aspect compared to those teams.

Our core is built on skill and speed. 

Wasn't that Benning's motto?

Hughes, Petey, Bo and Boeser aren't heavy, sluggish players.

They're agile if anything to me.

The team is just lost.

1 minute ago, warrchief said:

We need a complete rework of the systems, obviously it is not working with both the PP and D having real issues. Unfortunately, that would result in firing Green.

1 minute ago, Screw said:

There has been very little to enjoy this season.  Many games have been hard to sit through.

No matter what is said the team is exactly what it is and was.

The fluke sniff last year combined with all the hype raised expectations well beyond reality. Wo with losing Tanev, Markstrom and even Stecher and Leivo the team slipped even further back, they showed improvement last year because LA, Anahiem and SJ were falling backwards, not so much the Cancuks were overtaking them.

Green isn't the reason the team loses.

Hughes can't play defence.

Most of the bottom six can't score.

The team is not young, it still relies on Edler and he slowed down because of age.

Most of the team had what they call career years, usually the best they will ever have so it an unrealistic to expect they do that every year.

You can't blame the player for a bad mix, not even the best chefs in the world can make bread without flour.

It is a bad vision of a team.

The architect just forgot what the design was supposed to be and how to build it.

I really feel for Horvat, 8 years and only one winning season, his best years are now.

Benning will not do anything, he can't he is a lame duck GM. He takes the heat for this mess and at the end of the season or around the TDL, he gets replaced and the next GM pretty much has a clean slate without too much baggage. But it will hurt the fans because Horvat is likely trade bait aat that point. The team cannot have a leader that got used to losing and after 8 years he has got used to it or he has an ulcer because he can't stop the losing but has to answer for it after every game

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Wonder if Benning will actually get fired at any point this year.

Under normal circumstances I think he'd be on the hotseat, but I find it hard to believe Aqua would fire him given his financial situation.

and who he replaces him with, Can't see them handing over to Weisbrod till year end

I think he rides out this year

Maybe if we had fans in building and 84 game schedule something happens/

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I know this sounds rotten but

IMO, Aqualini should not agree to any trades this season

Just ride it out and take our lumps

If he wants to hire a new GM, that is fine

If he wants to hire a new coach, that is fine

But no trading assets while we are down

No trading 1st and 2nds while we are down

Nor at season's end.......

We will have cap space and time to figure a new plan of attack

It could get rough, but ride it out

We are not the worst team in the league or even the division, so just ride it out

It just is not the time to make big player changes

Coaches, and GM's, I am OK with

Great minds think alike ;)

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, davidgoliath said:

Benn was way too gentlemanly in making a formal challenge after that classless cheapshot by Simmons. He should have just run at him and cross checked him in the mouth in the style of Duncan Keith. That would start a brawl which would be much more healthy for team bonding. I thought Jordy was a better fighter than he showed - guess he must have lost most of the family fights with Jamie! 

His arms were tied up, Once he got one loose he started givin' er..

• Cheers 1

Just now, ba;;isticsports said:

and who he replaces him with, Can't see them handing over to Weisbrod till year end

I think he rides out this year

Maybe if we had fans in building and 84 game schedule something happens/

The best time IMO would be prior to the TD. Allow the new GM to get a new coach and to be sellers for the deadline. gives them the final 1/3 of the year for the new coaches and players to get used to each other. Reset for 2021-22

11 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We are as bad as the 2016-17 Avs right now.

Not really. Avs were last place team by a wide margin. Don't think we will be that bad.

But maybe we miss the playoffs, hopefully we can grab Cale Makar level player from the draft. But then, there's no junior hockey... evaluating talent will be difficult.