The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

The more time that passes the more I contribute our woes to the horrific scheduling.

We are playing absolutely brutal, yes. Our lineup isnt as competitive as last year, yes. 

But I truly believe our poor puck management and lack of pushback has to do with our guys being dogged. Everyone is mentally and physically exhausted.

I agree with @oldnews' assesment, and I think a lot of their points are in relation to fatigue.

Yesterday I mentioned how it sucks that other teams set the wrong kinds of records against the Canucks. Well, last night was a good example of that - Jason fricken Spezza with the hatty lol Wow, the Canucks can sure make mediocre players look great sometimes.

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

It can’t get much worse for Aqualini. No fans no money. I can certainly understand why he wouldn’t be keen on buying any contracts out. They have to tough it out. A season of losing likely strengthens this young group over the long term. I remember when it looked like the Avs were ready for a serious run 4 - 5 years ago and they came back to another  3 seasons of hard times. 

Over 50 years I have seen managements panic in the Canuck .org on a regular basis, even the Mighty Quinn. This is the first time in 50 years that the Canucks have built back from nothing. As fans we should never forget that.  

Totally agree with you. 

We are almost done the rebuild. It would be a shame to come in now and negate all the good they've accomplished. Sometimes young guys take a step back. It's one of those years (with covid shortened season to boot) 

The only thing that worries me is that this reminds me of the Oilers. 

I remember watching the 2017 playoffs with the emergence of McDavid and Drais where they knocked off the Sharks and then took Ana to game 7.

At that point, as a Canucks fan, I was worried that this was the beginning of the Oiler dynasty. They haven't been relevant since though and missed the playoffs from them on... 

I just hope a losing season this year doesn't become a habit

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, BPA said:

That would probably be seen as a **** move.  Might be bad optics for future signings/trades.

But I would have done it for sure.  Why give an opposing team an advantage?

Lol.

Agree with you 100 percent 

i get the bad pr move but frankly but its a dog eat dog world and most gms hate each other already 

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Crazy the amount of damage done in FA. I tried to view deals like Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson & Myers positively - but their harder to defend now with the players they've cost us.

Imagine how much better we'd be with the 9 mill from Myers & Roussel/Beagle spent on Tanev & Toffoli.

Hopefully Seattle takes Myers in the ED

The only guy you mentioned that has good odds of helping us is AR - his roster spot is easily filled.   Yes imagine TT (where does that put Hogs?) and Tanev (who is replacing Myers tough minutes? oh yeah Tanev ).... Nothing is wrong with Myers - the same hate that glommed onto Edler during the rebuild, when he was leading the league in minus (plus-minus) that is - has switched to him.    If your going to make an accurate depiction of our defensive woes, it starts and ends with QHs so far this year.   Half the goals against have been on his line ... doesn't matter who he's paired with either.   Hate to say this,  he's the biggest issue the first 14 games on our defense. 

• Huggy Bear 1

10 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

I blame OEL for all of this. Had he not put us on his trade list, we would not have JB dicking around with Arizona. 

Jim knew that he couldn't protect/keep both goalies in the seattle krakens expansion draft. According to rumors Arizona wanted Demko to be part of package that VAN sends to ARZ. This was the perfect opportunity to get full value for Demko and to add a legitimate Top 4 D-Man in OEL to the team. Canucks could have kept Markstrom and could protect him in the expansion draft.

Jim spent a 1st round pick and something to get Miller. Jim signed Myers in free agency. These two moves were widely understood by most of the Fans that Jim is going all in and Canucks are in  the win - now mode - it's no longer build through the draft. When you have chosen to go in this direction you HAVE to keep Markstrom.

Taking on OEL with a massive cap hit and re-signing Markstrom with a similar contract he has gotten from Calgary, would have meant that Jim clears tons of cap space. Unfortunately he could not manage to clear that amount of cap space. He could not even clear enough cap space to re-sign Toffoli.

With Jim as GM Canucks are going nowhere.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The only guy you mentioned that has good odds of helping us is AR - his roster spot is easily filled.   Yes imagine TT (where does that put Hogs?) and Tanev (who is replacing Myers tough minutes? oh yeah Tanev ).... Nothing is wrong with Myers - the same hate that glommed onto Edler during the rebuild, when he was leading the league in minus (plus-minus) that is - has switched to him.    If your going to make an accurate depiction of our defensive woes, it starts and ends with QHs so far this year.   Half the goals against have been on his line ... doesn't matter who he's paired with either.   Hate to say this,  he's the biggest issue the first 14 games on our defense. 

He's one of the reasons. There are 18 more... 

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

What are these highly conditioned pro athletes tired from? Lounging in their hotel rooms watching TV? 

LOL playing that many games in such a short condensed time does matter regardless of whether its beginning of the season or not. 

Its not like grabbing a controller and playing NHL at home. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Jim knew that he couldn't protect/keep both goalies in the seattle krakens expansion draft. According to rumors Arizona wanted Demko to be part of package that VAN sends to ARZ. This was the perfect opportunity to get full value for Demko and to add a legitimate Top 4 D-Man in OEL to the team. Canucks could have kept Markstrom and could protect him in the expansion draft.

Jim spent a 1st round pick and something to get Miller. Jim signed Myers in free agency. These two moves were widely understood by most of the Fans that Jim is going all in and Canucks are in  the win - now mode - it's no longer build through the draft. When you have chosen to go in this direction you HAVE to keep Markstrom.

Taking on OEL with a massive cap hit and re-signing Markstrom with a similar contract he has gotten from Calgary, would have meant that Jim clears tons of cap space. Unfortunately he could not manage to clear that amount of cap space. He could not even clear enough cap space to re-sign Toffoli.

With Jim as a GM Canucks are going nowhere.

In what world is adding OEL and retaining Markstrom at 6x6 is clearing cap space. 

Moving forward with Demko and moving on from Marky and Tanev is the right move in the long term. Point is he should have spend more time trying to move out money and at the very least get Stecher and Toffoli in order.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

With Jim as GM Canucks are going nowhere.

How is Miller and Myers "all-in"... i think most of the fan base understand these were steps taken,  not "going for the cup " moves.   People are lamenting not signing Tanev but hope Myers will get picked up by Seattle.   What was Guddy signed for in OTT again?  Those guys are easy to find .... Myers types come along every now and again, and there are 32 teams competing for the now.  

Just now, IBatch said:

He's also the biggest.   So much easier to point fingers elsewhere.   It doesn't matter in the big picture.   He can barely grow facial hair yet. 

What's his ice time in relation to the tire fire of a team we are seeing?

I see the problem more with decision making of the team as a whole. 

I see turnovers from everybody but with Quinn, the problem is, he doesn't have the strength or size to battle the opposing forwards when the puck gets turned over. You're right in that this isn't a good look for a defensemen (someone who's bad at defending) but his role fits a puck possession team (which we should be) but we are making a ton of mistakes right now which exposes his weakness

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL playing that many games in such a short condensed time does matter regardless of whether its beginning of the season or not. 

Its not like grabbing a controller and playing NHL at home. 

Gotta say, Green looks more tired than anyone on the team. Probably isn't sleeping well. Reminds me of Henry Winkler in The Waterboy, probably burning the midnight oil, rifling through his playbook in a panic lol 

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

What's his ice time in relation to the tire fire of a team we are seeing?

I see the problem more with decision making of the team as a whole. 

I see turnovers from everybody but with Quinn, the problem is, he doesn't have the strength or size to battle the opposing forwards when the puck gets turned over. You're right in that this isn't a good look for a defensemen (someone who's bad at defending) but his role fits a puck possession team (which we should be) but we are making a ton of mistakes right now which exposes his weakness

That's exactly the point.  Half the goals are scored when he's on the ice - but he's not playing 30 minutes or half the games is he.   But folks are bashing Edler, Myers and Schmidt.... if we HAVE to point fingers - point them in the accurate direction. 

Edit: Not something i want to do - and get it's easy to make excuses for a sophomore and that he's going to get a lot better over time ... but it is what it is. 

Edited by IBatch

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Gotta say, Green looks more tired than anyone on the team. Probably isn't sleeping well. Reminds me of Henry Winkler in The Waterboy, probably burning the midnight oil, rifling through his playbook in a panic lol 

I think Green wants to call time out on the season but it's passing him by... 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I like Myers, and am happy to have him, he just falls into the category of guys who got bigger contracts that were critiqued.

I think Tanev is prob better equipped to handle big minutes + play with QH than Myers. But of all the 'overpaid' guys he's certainly the most vital (along with 1 of Sutter/Beagle). 

2 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I like Myers, and am happy to have him, he just falls into the category of guys who got bigger contracts that were critiqued.

I think Tanev is prob better equipped to handle big minutes + play with QH than Myers. But of all the 'overpaid' guys he's certainly the most vital (along with 1 of Sutter/Beagle). 

I think you might be right - but you have to factor in that throughout his entire career injuries happen, and he's getting older ... 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I know Miller is a fan favourite, probably the Canucks best player when he wants to be, but I've been watching him and he isn't as engaged this season. His efforts defensively are pitiful, and sometimes I question his passes.  I don't think he wants to be here under this coaching staff/GM. He might see what Kesler saw all those years ago, a floundering team that is mismanaged, that will never go anywhere unless things really change. I know some are going to defend Miller, but this is what I see. Trade him for a Top Dman. 

Miller is the part of the ask for a good RHD, would suck to trade him but with his age and ufa status down the line this would be the F I would move in a deal if we are able to get back a good D.

Dream trade would send JT+ to Columbus and we get Seth Jones back

• Like 1