The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Yes, I could see that.

I keep feeling that in time we will hear about a locker room dispute or that the coaching staff lost respect.

Maybe it is the off season moves, in which case they should lick their wounds and get over it. If its something else we could indeed start seeing some changes.

You could be right. I would welcome hearing that there’s going to be a players only meeting to clear the air. 
Lots of posters on here.want Green to use his time out in the first period. I’d rather see a player’s only meeting.  
Green can yell at guys on the benc all game long. Just ask Torts:frantic:

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gurn said:

It is ironic that Spezza, a guy the Canucks could have pushed into retiring, by claiming on waivers, just kills them in the first game.

Iirc there were a few of us saying "Put in a claim".

If Tyler Ennis was a Leaf still, he would be the guy who killed the Canucks. It doesn’t really seem to matter who it is, the Canucks are habitually leaving one guy on the other team, open all game long on most nights. Who the heck is checking “that guy”?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Do you not understand that we’re talking about real people here? Teams have to maintain a good relationship with players.  Spezza isn’t some green rookie.  He’s a guy who put in his time.  The only reason he was on waivers was because of the unique taxi squad mechanism.

He wasn’t interested in playing for any other team and made that fact known.  Picking him up off waivers wouldn’t have made the Canucks better because he never would have played a game for them.  

Your arguements are fine until you factor in the human factor.  Yes. It’s a business. But this business relies on a teams management having a good reputation  with the players in order to attract and keep  top end talent. The Canucks don’t want to become known as a team that will happily screw over a player for petty reasons. 

"Do you not understand?"        :rolleyes:

There is a CBA, players and teams are bound by it. Both sides agreed to it. If Spezza wants to retire that is on him, not any team that picked him.

He was on waivers because he didn't make the main team, not because of taxi squad; otherwise all the players would have been put on taxi squad.

I don't care who he is interested in playing hockey for, accept an NHL gig or go home.

Canucks miss the play off due to these two points, you ok with that?

1 minute ago, gurn said:

"Do you not understand?"        :rolleyes:

There is a CBA, players and teams are bound by it. Both sides agreed to it. If Spezza wants to retire that is on him, not any team that picked him.

He was on waivers because he didn't make the main team, not because of taxi squad; otherwise all the players would have been put on taxi squad.

I don't care who he is interested in playing hockey for, accept an NHL gig or go home.

Canucks miss the play off due to these two points, you ok with that?

Got it. Players are commodities whose feelings are to be ignored provided it might give the team a tiny advantage or screw over a divisional rival.  Good policy 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Got it. Players are commodities whose feelings are to be ignored provided it might give the team a tiny advantage or screw over a divisional rival.  Good policy 

Tiny advantage? 2 points , so far.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

So you are ok losing points because of some other team's player's feelings?

Toronto very likely would have won the game regardless. If Vancouver is so weak a team that the difference between making the playoffs  and not is facing a team with Jason Spezza or without Jason Spezza. Then yeah. I’m ok with them losing points.  We’re not talking about McDavid here. 

If we lose again tonight. Just do a soft rebuild for christ sakes.

Get rid of Myers and Virtanen and wait for the bad contracts to pass. Allow this awful season to ruin Petterson and Hughes contract numbers so we can get them at a more reasonable price. Replace the GM with someone more competent at the end of the season and we try again next season (whenever that is)

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

To my surprise Myers was a +1 last night and is even overall for the season so far.  Thought it would have been far worse because he looks like he has been struggling

The whole team is struggling. People keep talking about fatigue but this team looks like they've mentally checked out of the season, and couldn't care less. I guess this would be the season to do that in. A pandemic shortened 56, possibly less, game season. 

53 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Hey Gary! Look, you can:

-make Arizona pay harder for their combine violations
-continue VAN streak of never getting 1stOA lottery selection :bigblush:

-let the sweetheart PIT team off easy for that lost pick

forfeit.png.1980e9d14f734b08870e423c11802c9b.png

Does the draft position even matter this year? I can't imagine scouts are properly scouting players due to covid 

40 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Toronto very likely would have won the game regardless. If Vancouver is so weak a team that the difference between making the playoffs  and not is facing a team with Jason Spezza or without Jason Spezza. Then yeah. I’m ok with them losing points.  We’re not talking about McDavid here. 

Ok.Now that we've established that, what about:

trading a player that really wants to stay here? 

buying out a player to make more cap space

Letting management people go

Firing coaches

You alright with that or do the  feelings come first?

12 minutes ago, gurn said:

Ok.Now that we've established that, what about:

trading a player that really wants to stay here? 

buying out a player to make more cap space

Letting management people go

Firing coaches

You alright with that or do the  feelings come first?

Not the same and you know it 

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Not the same and you know it 

Just trying to find the line between feelings and following the CBA for the betterment of the team.

funny a few posts back you were asking "Do you not understand" now you are telling me what I know.

Edited by gurn