The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, gurn said:

Just trying to find the line between feelings and following the CBA for the betterment of the team.

But it’s not for the betterment of the team is it? Spezza would never play a game for Vancouver.  So it’s to take a petty swipe at Toronto. No other reason 

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

But it’s not for the betterment of the team is it? Spezza would never play a game for Vancouver.  So it’s to take a petty swipe at Toronto. No other reason 

Maybe he changes his mind, I'd have taken the chance. If he does retire, oh well.

Just now, gurn said:

Trying to make your own team better is the job.

Pro league.

Winning is what matters.

Anything, that is allowed by the rules, that will improve or might improve the team is fine by me

When the player says he will retire rather than report to any team that claims him, then it’s not about bettering the team 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

And once again. You’re ignoring the impact on Vancouver’s reputation with players 

Have players signed free agent contracts with the Canucks since Sam Gagner was demoted?

Or since Loui started getting sat out?

In a different sport, did players stop signing with the Fish after they did this?

During the 2016 season, former Atlanta Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez found out he had been fired from an inadvertent email. It included an itinerary for a one-way plane ticket back to Atlanta while his team was on a road trip.

That story prompted former ESPN Radio host Mike Golic to recount the story of how his NFL career ended, and it's a doozy.

After seven seasons as a defensive tackle with the Houston Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles, Golic played the 1993 season with the Miami Dolphins. In the first game of that season, Golic suffered a partially torn ligament in his knee.

Knowing that jobs for non-stars in the NFL are fickle, Golic chose to continue playing on the injured knee, not even having it fully examined until after the season. Golic played in 15 of those games and started seven of the final eight, all while making his injury worse.

After the season, the extent of the injury was discovered, and Golic had surgery. Just three months later - again, knowing his job was always on the line - he was ready to start practicing.

n late April, the Dolphins drafted two defensive tackles in the NFL Draft, and suddenly Golic was expendable.

But there was a catch. While contracts in the NFL are not guaranteed, a team can't cut a player if he is injured. Golic was technically still hurt following surgery as he was not 100%.

Four days after the draft, Golic went into the office of the trainer because he wanted to practice and see how his knee was progressing. Golic said:

I was still recovering from the knee surgery and training and such. I wanted to give mini-camp a good test for my knee. It wasn't 100% [healthy] by any chance. So, I was in talking to the team trainer about my knee. I said 'Listen, it is not really 100%, but I want to go out here and I want to try to see what it can do during mini-camp.' He said, 'Well, if you are going to go out there, you need to sign this piece of paper that says your knee is fine and you are going to go practice.' I did because I wanted to go out there and practice.

Golic had just given the Dolphins all they needed to release him without having to pay his $650,000 salary

"So I sign the piece of paper, open the door, and there was somebody standing right there, right there," Golic said as he pointed in front of him. "I couldn't even leave the room, and he said 'the general manager wants to see you.' And I am like 'You've got to be kidding me.'"

The Dolphins were literally waiting outside the door for Golic to "pass" his physical so that they could cut him.

If he had not signed the waiver, the Dolphins would have been forced to either keep him or pay him an injury settlement to release him. They didn't have to do either. Instead, the Dolphins used Golic's willingness to play hurt against him so that they wouldn't have to pay him.

The Dolphins cut Golic, and he never played another down in the NFL.

Here is how the Sun-Sentinel reported the move at the time:

On the eve of Dolphins mini-camp, salary cap considerations continued to dictate the roster as defensive tackle Mike Golic was released Thursday after passing his physical ... Golic and his $650,000 salary were cut as the Dolphins made a quick resolution to their glut of defensive tackles. The Dolphins drafted Mississippi's Tim Bowens in the first round and Florida's William Gaines in the fifth round of the draft this week.

It is another painful reminder of how cutthroat the NFL can be. Unlike other sports, the fall is often quick. As soon as a player is no longer needed, teams are on to somebody else."

Apparently they continued to sign with Miami

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/797219-miami-dolphins-the-7-best-free-agent-signings-in-franchise-history

Cam Wake

Brock Marion

Chad Pennington

All, and more, signed after the Fish hosed Golic.

7 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

When the player says he will retire rather than report to any team that claims him, then it’s not about bettering the team 

Ovechkin said he was going to the Olympics, whether the NHL was going or not, he changed his mind.

Players and people can change their mind

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Ovechkin said he was going to the Olympics, whether the NHL was going or not, he changed his mind.

Considering no one claimed him it’s pretty clear EVERY GM in the league gave more consideration to Spezza’s wishes than you would have.  What does that say to you 

23 minutes ago, gurn said:

those two situations couldn't be more different. 

trying to force a player to play for your team who obviously has no interest whatsoever in being there has 0 upside. 

22 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Considering no one claimed him it’s pretty clear EVERY GM in the league gave more consideration to Spezza’s wishes than you would have.  What does that say to you 

Or in order to create more roster flexibility Toronto put him on waivers and his agent “leaked” that he was not going to play anywhere else. It smells more like collusion between Toronto and Spezza.

40 minutes ago, gurn said:

Trying to make your own team better is the job.

Pro league.

Winning is what matters.

Anything, that is allowed by the rules, that will improve or might improve the team is fine by me

It's business. Lindros is a prime example. Quebec knew that he wouldn't play, but were smart to draft him. Just look at the return the Nordiques got.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

The GM’s have to have a good relationship with players.  There was nothing illegal about Spezza expressing his feelings.   He’s been in the league for 18 years, If he only wanted to play in Toronto that should be respected.  To try to force him to retire just to get a jab in on Toronto is childish. Going forward players would know that the management of a team that would do that has no respect for the players 

Ridiculous take.

The Canucks had JT Miller out with Covid 'protocol' at the time (and perhaps he wasn't healthy/ready when he returned, because he looks to be about 50%).

100% legit reason to claim a replacement - that could win faceoffs, help produce secondary scoring.

But, but Spezza is special - Spezza has feelingz.  

What is childish is thinking you are an exception to the CBA... Everyone is subject to the same rules (allegedly) - and they get compensated extremely well.   

If a veteran player takes a hometown discount and plays for next to nothing for your franchise - don't waive him.  Find an alternative.  This is entirely on the Leafs., the franchise that brought you archipelago Robidas, who have shafted numerous players in their wake.

Coming in here and solf-soaping as if this is principally an issue of a  player's feelings - when their own franchise just waived them - is absurd wadr. 

Just about as absurd as all the whimpering about Babcock having scratched him - right on the heels of the Laffs waiving him.

You're peddling a ridiculous myth as if Toronto had no choice but waive him.  Woe be anyone that exercises their right - to claim a player - to, ironically, keep that player on an active NHL roster.

What a mushy-minded story they've spun.

This has nothing to do with 'respect'.   If there's any disrespect involved it comes straight from Spezza and the Leafs themselves.

• Cheers 2

29 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

There were a lot of teams at their internal  cap limit

There were a lot of teams that didn't believe Spezza would make them better

• -SN- unpinned and unfeatured this topic