The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

I get why people complain about not retaining Toffoli. The assets moved to get him and the chemistry he had here. The hot start doesn’t help.  But we would have also had to buyout contract (cap penalty next year) and or move even more assets to retain him.

Tanev was the guy to keep in mind but at the end of the day a couple year into their contracts people would be complaining about that too. The guy can’t win. Tough offseason. Next year looks better and the year after that even more so. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Yes thank you. I don’t see it happening. I’d be surprised if anyone gets fired this season across the NHL. It’s too complicated unless maybe the GM is comfortable doing the duties.

I’ll personally reserve judgement at the end of the season. Would probably do good to get some new assistants at the end of the day but I ain’t going to sit here and whine about it because I don’t see it happening during this season. I’m just happy to be watching hockey that’s all I can say about that. Could have easily not even of had a season.

Regardless of this seasons outcome, some changes, young players growth, and maybe some player movement. The cores there. We should still be damn excited even if not in this moment 

Yeah, I'd honestly be shocked to see anyone of note lose their job this season. That goes for GM's as well. And if a coach/GM is fired it'll probably be closer to the end of the season in order to get a head start on grabbing available talent. The border bit, the quarantining, the travel.. just too much of a headache. 

I expect to see some coaching changes at the end of the season, there's lots of games left but our start doesn't have me overly confident. It's a lot easier to switch up your coaches than ship out or acquire players. Some guys get a lot of grief around here, but I'm confident that the guys we currently have are capable of playing better than they have. It just might take a new coaching staff. 

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

I get why people complain about not retaining Toffoli. The assets moved to get him and the chemistry he had here. The hot start doesn’t help.  But we would have also had to buyout contract (cap penalty next year) and or move even more assets to retain him.

Tanev was the guy to keep in mind but at the end of the day a couple year into their contracts people would be complaining about that too. The guy can’t win. Tough offseason. Next year looks better and the year after that even more so. 

Toffoli definitely needed to be retained.. 

Horvat Miller have both expressed their feelings on how important it was to retain Toffoli.. we all knew how good of a player he is.. 

It goes beyond on ice amd hes great on ice.. He's a player...

JB got cold feet after his mistakes in past UFA signings mistakes....bottom line..

11 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

yeah only problem with that is Mcdavid and Draisatil, carry them too W's every night, so if one of em get injured, there gunna get 1st OA again.

Lol.

That's probably the best solution for the Oilers.  Some highly touted big D men in next year's draft in the top 10.

59 minutes ago, brownky said:

Our goals for per game is good.

It's that goals against, that's what gets ya.

So don't take penalties (lol), and "At least it isn't Montreal" edition. No Tyler Toffoli.

We have 45 goals in 13 games, take out Ottawa and we have 29 goals in 10 games, that’s sub par.

Goals against would be 45 on 10 games.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

Lol.

That's probably the best solution for the Oilers.  Some highly touted big D men in next year's draft in the top 10.

maybe one of them gets injured close to the playoff push and miss the playoffs by 1 point, lets hope that.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, I'd honestly be shocked to see anyone of note lose their job this season. That goes for GM's as well. And if a coach/GM is fired it'll probably be closer to the end of the season in order to get a head start on grabbing available talent. The border bit, the quarantining, the travel.. just too much of a headache. 

I expect to see some coaching changes at the end of the season, there's lots of games left but our start doesn't have me overly confident. It's a lot easier to switch up your coaches than ship out or acquire players. Some guys get a lot of grief around here, but I'm confident that the guys we currently have are capable of playing better than they have. It just might take a new coaching staff. 

The Alberta trip I get it. Slow start no preseason, working out bugs etc.

Montreal hot outta the gates, don’t seem to match well and it’s concerning. Take it for what it is but only allowing 3 goal to Ottawa in 3 games, They bad but that’s still hard to do. Great game against Winnipeg.

Playing Toronto is the key here for me now. I’m not sold on the team that played Montreal. Toronto should teach us more of what we really got going on this year 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

yeah only problem with that is Mcdavid and Draisatil, carry them too W's every night, so if one of em get injured, there gunna get 1st OA again.

Man.. as some of you guys might know i spent most of last few years in Edmonton. . Back in whiterock. . So beautiful here and no ice/snow for 7 months out of year

I watched many games live before covid hit..

Mcdavid is something else.. too good. Best player by far in NHL