The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Term is everything. The ED affects everything. Schmidt is younger and to be fair, was better all around than Tanev (before this season...) and his contract will age better than an older, fragile Tanev. Holtby's Seattle-exposed whereas Marky wanted protection and has an Erikkson-like contract which won't age well.

Probs to JB for making the unpopular moves and letting players in their prime leave for the better of this team's future. He learned from the Eriksson mistake.

Toffoli could have been saved, as easy as moving Pearson or Roussel out, but nobody is biting on trades right now because of the flat cap and ED so don't fault him on "moving money out" because it's the worst time to do it. I understand why he wanted to try one more year with JV and Gaudette but now he's seen that those experiments aren't working. 

If the off season happened again, he'd do it all again, doesn't really have a better option.

This reminds me of one of those moms that blindly defend their kids who are just complete disasters lol. Dude, it’s ok to admit that Jim Benning’s off-season was a complete disaster. These same people who always give props to Benning for burning money on UFA’s and cashing in draft picks/prospects  to stay “competitive” for the good of development. Now it’s ok to step back for the good of the future? You guys don’t understand. This step back, should have happened the day he came on board. Benning managed to kill everything he did well by getting himself in cap hell. 

• Cheers 1

Leafs #1 Power Play, The Manny factor

“Manny’s been a great help, in general and around the room,” Mitch Marner said after Wednesday’s practice. “From power play (the Leafs’ unit is first in the league) to the faceoff circle. He’s been a big help on our bench with calmness. He’s another guy you can talk to for his thoughts on some plays.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

GCG. This is a huge game for my wallet.

Please show us your best.

Just placed my first sports bet of the season, thanks for the reminder. Going with some long odds. Canucks+Jets win in reg, Habs/Sens + Preds/Panthers draw after 60. $10 could pay out over $1.5k. Stranger things have happened, lol.

All I can say is Vancouver either comes out of the gate flying or Toronto buries them in the first 10 minutes with their speed. Defensively they aren’t a great team but knowing the Canucks Myers will take a stupid slashing penalty in the first minute and Marner will pick a corner and kill the momentum. I love my team but don’t have a lot of faith that they can turn this season around with the amount of dumb penalties and turnovers. I don’t care how long Myers stick is, if he’s a liability sit the &^@#ing guy. Same goes with Chatfield and Schmidt. 

28 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Leafs #1 Power Play, The Manny factor

“Manny’s been a great help, in general and around the room,” Mitch Marner said after Wednesday’s practice. “From power play (the Leafs’ unit is first in the league) to the faceoff circle. He’s been a big help on our bench with calmness. He’s another guy you can talk to for his thoughts on some plays.

Mentioned this the other day, I've seen it first hand.....with the new guys, especially.  Took these from behind the bench in 2017 and Manny was really involved with Petey and Brock and giving them a lot of feedback and encouragement.   As a guy who was fairly fresh out of the game himself, I feel like his contributions were huge.

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

This one definitely hurt. 
Benning better not run out of time on Tryamkin for next season. He should have just signed him for this season when the player and agent were wanting to sign last summer. 

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Every game against the Leafs = MUST WIN

Playing another well rested team....hope the boys can muster up some extra energy.  Dig deep time.

Just to keep it all in perspective (and explain a little about why our team is lagging a bit and making "lazy" plays).....we are the only team in our division to not have more than one day off in between games since the first game of the season.  

Vancouver = 1 day off only in between games so far (4 of those days off were spent travelling).

Flames have had a 2 and a 5 day break since game 1

Oilers are currently on a 3 day break

Habs have had a 2 & a 4 day break

Leafs have had a 4 day break

Senators have had 3 - 2 day breaks

After this trip we travel home on one day and FINALLY get an extra day of rest.  Which is likely much needed.

CDC will have eleventeen threads of dismayed posters asking why they aren't practicing

6 minutes ago, Slegr said:

This one definitely hurt. 
Benning better not run out of time on Tryamkin for next season. He should have just signed him for this season when the player and agent were wanting to sign last summer. 

Tram is a free agent. Hes as good as gone.

Mentioned this the other day, I've seen it first hand.....with the new guys, especially.  Took these from behind the bench in 2017 and Manny was really involved with Petey and Brock and giving them a lot of feedback and encouragement.   As a guy who was fairly fresh out of the game himself, I feel like his contributions were huge

Losing Manny hurts more than losing any of the players we let go.

JB suddenly causing doubts about his talent-spotting ability.

Or, mebbe he's just a plodder.

We can't now dither on Trym, can we?