The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 4, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

23 minutes ago, Gassy Jack said:

Yeah, but you see all the complaints about couches and systems. 

When are they suppose to train to get better when you have 13 games in 23 days? 

(Especially without proper preseason)

8 minutes ago, Cluminati* said:

Been tracking off days of the Canadian teams as well, and it’s getting a little ridiculous when there is such disparity. I believe we still have the most air miles even though we’re stuck north of the border. Add that up and fatigue sets in fast no matter how young a team is. 

Some say the workload balances off in the end and the Canucks will have a cushy second half of the season. But how could that be possible when they may be playing catch-up after a subpar and tired 1st half?!

The NHL wanted to churn out this season in a shorter time frame, but they should have stretched it out a little more once they decided against bubble hockey in just a couple of cities. 

I’m proud that our boys have us almost at .500 hockey even with the challenges they face on and off the ice. 

I can't believe the people here who don't want to accept that the grueling schedule is a factor (no, not an excuse) for the team's bad performance lately. And it's maddening to see players being called lazy or not trying hard enough. When you see warriors like Miller, Petey, Hughes making bad passes, coughing up the puck, falling down, slow in reacting... you know something is abnormal. Cut the team some slack. They are not machines. They just need some rest and bit of luck. 

I hope Green spreads the playing time out a little more tonight, Demko plays out of his mind, and we get some lucky bounces. But I don't get why Green is going with the same lineup. Why doesn't inject some fresh legs in there like Virtanen, Juolevi, and yes...even Eriksson?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

8 minutes ago, yes we can nucks said:

I can't believe the people here who don't want to accept that the grueling schedule is a factor (no, not an excuse) for the team's bad performance lately. And it's maddening to see players being called lazy or not trying hard enough. When you see warriors like Miller, Petey, Hughes making bad passes, coughing up the puck, falling down, slow in reacting... you know something is abnormal. Cut the team some slack. They are not machines. They just need some rest and bit of luck. 

I hope Green spreads the playing time out a little more tonight, Demko plays out of his mind, and we get some lucky bounces. But I don't get why Green is going with the same lineup. Why doesn't inject some fresh legs in there like Virtanen, Juolevi, and yes...even Eriksson?

Sorry to default to the usual counterargument here, but shouldn't other teams be making the same mistakes etc. that we should also then be capitalizing on? 

And JV is in for Big Mac today btw. Hopefully he plays with energy but I have my doubts.. 

Edited by 'NucK™
typo

5 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Sorry to default to the usual counterargument here, but shouldn't other teams be making the same mistakes etc. that we should also then be capitalizing on? 

And JV is in for Big Mac today btw. Hopefully he plays with energy but I have my doubts.. 

Other teams have more time off between games to actually have practices to address issues. I think we only had like 2 actual practices since start of season. Also have very little morning skates due to all the back to backs.

Doesn't help when over half of your defense is new. 

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Maybe the other teams aren't making the same mistakes..yet..because we have played the most games in the league and a more brutal schedule so far? Don't you think there's a reason for all those uncharacteristic mistakes by those guys?

4 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Other teams have more time off between games to actually have practices to address issues. I think we only had like 2 actual practices since start of season. Also have very little morning skates due to all the back to backs.

Ah yeah.. we have played a ridiculous number of games.. 

8 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Games played...

(Especially to start the season...)

Screenshot_20210204-094426_NHL.thumb.jpg.1e591e6612193b776294870a7433bb60.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Squamfan said:

I was so disappointed when I heard that TT was signed by Montreal, but I'm over it now. If he were still with the Nucks, who's to say he would make any difference to our floundering team.

Throughout his career, he was a solid 2nd line player, but right now, he is looking like an elite player.  But wait...10 goals in 10 games;  9 of them are against the Canucks.  It will be interesting to see if he can maintain his scoring rate, or if he levels off to his normal totals of previous years.  His accumulated stats suggest that he scores just under 1 goal every 3 games.  Fortunately for TT, he still has a few more games to feast on the Canucks.

Ever notice the Canucks seem to help other teams set the wrong kind of records? It just feels like other teams occasionally get a record of sorts against VAN. (e.g. Toffoli scoring more against his former team than any other player, ever).

Has another NHL team lost as many active players? Maki, Bourdon, Demitra, Rypien, etc.

They need to bring in a witch doctor to cleanse the curse.  

16 minutes ago, Gassy Jack said:

Games played...

(Especially to start the season...)

Screenshot_20210204-094426_NHL.thumb.jpg.1e591e6612193b776294870a7433bb60.jpg

Florida with 7 games in hand. 

in our division

Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, and Ottawa   with 3 games in hand

Calgary with 4 in hand

Edmonton with 1 game in hand.

Important to remember this season may end up decided by winning percentage and not over all points, due to covid.

26 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Leafs have been home the last 4 days  relaxing, while the Canucks have been coming off back to backs, hopefully they find the energy tonight. terrible Schedule makers!!!

• Cheers 1

Need a better showing tonight.

I look right at the captain who has been pointless since the Ottawa series.  Need Bo to step it up and lead by example. Clearly too many guys are doing their own thing, no better way than the captain himself to lead the team and show them what it takes to win.  

I wanna see the captain in the middle of everything tonight. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, GetFocht said:

This is a fireable offense. 

Sure....ok.   That's hilarious.   Three or four times as fan have i ever been a little excited about this team.   If we polled it - how many fans would say yes to 17 games for Madden and a later pick... You do understand that our cap was at the max before BB went down right?  And there was negative cap space available (ok on this anyone who wants to carry on forever about it - go right ahead) for TT, Demko, Markstrom, Tanev etc.    It's i believe, grade two arithmetic (and yes the younger generation doesn't know how to use their times tables and do long division - but don't worry that wasn't until grade three) ... addition and minus.   Doesn't take a degree to figure out - we didn't have the cap space.   And thank god.   TT is an oppurtunistic player around the net - but didn't show much of a two-way game - or hit guys or play tough.   He's a career middle six player enjoying some extra attention.   Have fun with that MTL...guaranteed the script will change before his contract is up, and fans will be hating on him in MTL before it's over.    

Id much rather use his spot for a blue chip star.   For sure there is a difference. The team isn't ready to contend, they are too young, and there is too many holes in the lineup.    TT might enjoy a career "Covid year " and good for him.   Why don't we wait a year or two to pass judgement.   I suppose that's hard for a lot of fans.   Personally i have every reason to be done with this team but i'm not.   JB so far has taken as sh!t sandwich, ate it and at the same time created hope for the next core which from the start had at least an 80% chance of utter failure.   Look at Detroit.  Look at SJ.    They are the Canucks closest comps at the moment.   Which of those three teams - would you rather have right now and going forward? 

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Need a better showing tonight.

I look right at the captain who has been pointless since the Ottawa series.  Need Bo to step it up and lead by example. Clearly too many guys are doing their own thing, no better way than the captain himself to lead the team and show them what it takes to win.  

I wanna see the captain in the middle of everything tonight. 

Same. He's been a no show lately, which is not a good look at all.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I was so disappointed when I heard that TT was signed by Montreal, but I'm over it now. If he were still with the Nucks, who's to say he would make any difference to our floundering team.

Throughout his career, he was a solid 2nd line player, but right now, he is looking like an elite player.  But wait...10 goals in 10 games;  9 of them are against the Canucks.  It will be interesting to see if he can maintain his scoring rate, or if he levels off to his normal totals of previous years.  His accumulated stats suggest that he scores just under 1 goal every 3 games.  Fortunately for TT, he still has a few more games to feast on the Canucks.

He was good in LA too. 
I think folks are tying the loss of Tofolli to the pure fail of Virtanen. 

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Ever notice the Canucks seem to help other teams set the wrong kind of records? It just feels like other teams occasionally get a record of sorts against VAN. (e.g. Toffoli scoring more against his former team than any other player, ever).

Has another NHL team lost as many active players? Maki, Bourdon, Demitra, Rypien, etc.

They need to bring in a witch doctor to cleanse the curse.  

Not mention every team that has made multiple cup finals has won one cup we are 0-3

Just now, HannibalSmith said:

He was good in LA too. 
I think folks are tying the loss of Tofolli to the pure fail of Virtanen. 

Yes, he was a good player in LA.  Did anyone think that Virtanen was going to be able to replace him?:sadno: