The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

I know it's early in the year but perhaps this is a blessing,

- we get a higher pick,

- cap comes off,

- new contracts are at a reduced rate, and

- youth gains experience.

While I don't like the lack of effort out there, it may be that players know the plan. This year is to be a transition year and players don't see the utility in going all-in, risking injury etc.

My only concern is the lack of response when other teams take liberties. I say

- keep using the youth,

- add more enforcement,

- use more youth,

- try more experiments,

- stop the perpetual dump and chase, and

- lastly, treat this entire stupid season as exhibition for next year and try to have some fun.

Fickle CDC and the fans need to think of the long game like a GM and not the short game like a coach. I am super bullish on the Nucks, just not for this year any more. I though we might surprise but seeing the result to date, I'd rather not make moves and think about next year. It can't come soon enough, I'll be retired and fly around to watch games without a mask. Hopefully with my Papa who is over 80 and less patient than me. I wonder what new pieces will be on the back end next year...

GCG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

- we get a higher pick,

- cap comes off,

While I don't like the lack of effort out there, it may be that players know the plan. This year is to be a transition year and players don't see the utility in going all-in, risking injury etc.

- keep using the youth,

- add more enforcement,

- use more youth,

- try more experiments,

- lastly, treat this entire stupid season as exhibition for next year and try to have some fun.

Fickle CDC and the fans need to think of the long game like a GM and not the short game like a coach. I am super bullish on the Nucks, just not for this year any more. I though we might surprise but seeing the result to date, I'd rather not make moves and think about next year. It can't come soon enough, I'll be retired and fly around to watch games without a mask. Hopefully with my Papa who is over 80 and less patient than me. I wonder what new pieces will be on the back end next year...

GCG

Yip. More and more it looks to be a step back this year to take two step forwards. Shedding contacts, buying out Loui, a high pick, lower than expected contract extensions all possible after this season. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

14 minutes ago, rekker said:

Well said. There have been times this year where I can't believe what I'm watching. Both the play on the ice, and the soft calls. I watch all games and not just the Canucks. I truly hope this is just a phase or an extreme point in the evolution of the game. Hopefully dials back to a middle ground somewhere. 

I think it will (dial back).   Maybe it's just nerves having to ref games without fans or Covid related given the changes ... that said hockey is nothing like it used to be 70-80-90's-2004  ... in some ways for the better of the sport (no redline), in some ways for player safety (icing calls, hits to the head, staged fighting) - but it for sure has gradually lost some of its heart and soul as well.   The best part about this season for me is having all these games against Canadian teams ... especially the Alberta teams WNP and TO back in the conference (well division) is cool.... hope some hate brews and it ignited some old school hockey out of these guys.   So far a gloved punch to MT from Myers is a decent start - and hate to say it but so is Simmonds hitting QHs.  

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. More and more it looks to be a step back this year to take two step forwards. Shedding contacts, buying out Loui, a high pick, lower than expected contract extensions all possible after this season. 

If we jammed all three UFAs into the roster (remember we couldn't fit TT without BB injured), on paper wed have a weaker team then last year.   We'd have the same one minus Markstrom's raise and minus TT entire cap hit - that's six million we already didn't have ... bye bye Hogs or maybe Podz plus some picks to clear the cap for it.  

That wouldn't have been a step forward - in fact it wouldn't even be staying still it would have meant we'd have to ice a lesser roster so some could say a step back.  

We all watched the playoffs, MIN is a good defensive team, great series.  St. Louis arguable had an edge on play ... coaching and Horvat carried us.   (Berube playing Binnington)... Vegas we were absolutely dominated.   Never seen a team go that far against with the ice titled so heavily in one direction.  Still it was awesome - great entertainment, and we made it.   Lots of great memories made.

JB did the right thing for the team as far as giving us a chance to be better then we were.   IMO one of the smartest things he's done so far.    Playoffs don't mean squat this year as far as revenue goes for the owner (who he works for),  the ED is looming and he's protected Demko (and if the OEL trade was Demko as the main piece - thanks JB for not going there), pulled a rabbit out of his hat with Schmidt, and saved us 8.5 million for later.    Couldn't imagine the cost to the clubs future to sign all three - both immediate and long term.    Instead we'd be belly-aching about the signings after ever loss - guaranteed - and for sure they won't age well.   Heck Tanev might already be in the infirmary given our schedule. 

If he loses his job over this I also wonder how well that will age.   One of his smartest moves becoming his noose.   It would also be very telling about ownership.   Doubt it will happen BTW and also doubt TG wont get an extension ....  unless they can't agree on terms.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

- we get a higher pick,

- cap comes off,

- keep using the youth,

- add more enforcement,

- use more youth,

- try more experiments,

GCG

Nice read.   Wise.   If you go to the OTT/MTL away games after retirement PM  me and and maybe we can have a beer and talk shop..being a fan is for sure an emotional experience - and get that feeling get in the way, nobody likes losing and for sure hopes were raised after the playoffs.    OTT is a better watch - better sight lines, not as big and steep, MTL is for sure a better experience, right in the heart of the city, lots of banners, statues and things to look at and great eats...

Edited by IBatch

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

If we jammed all three UFAs into the roster (remember we couldn't fit TT without BB injured), on paper wed have a weaker team then last year.   We'd have the same one minus Markstrom's raise and minus TT entire cap hit - that's six million we already didn't have ... bye bye Hogs or maybe Podz plus some picks to clear the cap for it.  

That wouldn't have been a step forward - in fact it wouldn't even be staying still it would have meant we'd have to ice a lesser roster so some could say a step back.  

We all watched the playoffs, MIN is a good defensive team, great series.  St. Louis arguable had an edge on play ... coaching and Horvat carried us.   (Berube playing Binnington)... Vegas we were absolutely dominated.   Never seen a team go that far against with the ice titled so heavily in one direction.  Still it was awesome - great entertainment, and we made it.   Lots of great memories made.

JB did the right thing for the team as far as giving us a chance to be better then we were.   IMO one of the smartest things he's done so far.    Playoffs don't mean squat this year as far as revenue goes for the owner (who he works for),  the ED is looming and he's protected Demko (and if the OEL trade was Demko as the main piece - thanks JB for not going there), pulled a rabbit out of his hat with Schmidt, and saved us 8.5 million for later.    Couldn't imagine the cost to the clubs future to sign all three - both immediate and long term.    Instead we'd be belly-aching about the signings after ever loss - guaranteed - and for sure they won't age well.   Heck Tanev might already be in the infirmary given our schedule. 

If he loses his job over this I also wonder how well that will age.   One of his smartest moves becoming his noose.   It would also be very telling about ownership.   Doubt it will happen BTW and also doubt TG wont get an extension ....  unless they can't agree on terms.  

Hard for us armchair coaches to see beyond the present...but there’s no better entertainment than some belly-aching fans with nut’n better to do...better than catching Covid or starting a riot.  Ok, if Nucks dont win tonight, lets start a petition to move the team’s practices to Surrey until they start winning, hot water showers only if we let in less than 3 goals per, pads for the goalies only if they get their save % above .940, and sticks for the players only if they can shoot (without breaking ‘em) or pass (tap to tap).

I can appreciate looking at the positives of a down year, but I don't think Jim Benning (and TG) are looking at this season as a 'transition' - meaning take a step back - year.

If we miss the playoffs spectacularly, as we are headed now, the season is still a failure.

That said 2 wins against Toronto and it's a different feeling around the team. 

Tonight should be a much better effort. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, rekker said:

And blow an entire elc contract year for our young stars so we have zero success as we speed towards the date we are are out of money because have to pay our young core 

makes perfect sense to “mail in a year”

if thats the case though we certainly have the coaching staff for it 

34 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

And blow an entire elc contract year for our young stars so we have zero success as we speed towards the date we are are out of money because have to pay our young core 

makes perfect sense to “mail in a year”

if thats the case though we certainly have the coaching staff for it 

We are not really blowing a year of QH or EP because the plan is focused on 2022 based on contracts and the such. Most teams that win don’t have the superstars on ELCs but the supporting cast. (Is hogs pod, etc) 

the core we have now will compete when they mature and get the experience, QH and EP will be the established players and hopefully will be on cost controlled contracts. If you wanted to win with EP and QH you would have had to have know just how good they were at the time of drafting which they surprised us by being even better. Not just that they would have had to step into a contending team already which were not.

• Cheers 1