The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, stawns said:

He's not, he just didn't plan for a flat cap.  Had things progressed normally he was pretty well set up.  He's responsible for being vulnerable, no doubt, but who could have seen a pandemic coming?

He was in real tough spot this off season.

All three big signings in question are the exact signings we are trying to stay away from. He's in a no win situation this year and I think he knew it and ownership knew it and supported it as well. Covid has mangled our lives in so many ways. Hockey is just a game however, it's a distraction that we typically fall back on when times are tough.

You're right. He wasn't ready for this $&!#ty season. This isn't our year.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Pickly said:

All I can say is when you are spending to the cap year after year, haven’t don’t d*ck all to improverhe D, and have boatloads of cap sitting in the press box or in the minors, it speaks volumes to where you stand. 

Yeah  we could have picked up cheaper “vets” to help keep the team competitive during these last five years or so. Now I feel like we’re just waiting for the contracts to expire. And if they don’t stop writing up 6million dollar contracts each year it’s not gonna get better. Our bottom six and D .. Beagle, Sutter, Erickson, Myers, Benn, Rousell, all could be replaced with near league minimum guys. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, not if the cap had gone up, as per usual.  He still would have been tight, but it's been shown several times how it was going to play out.  The flat cap f***ed him, but he left himself vulnerable, no doubt

I donno @stawns I just can’t fathom even if the cap went up 3 or 4 million we would be better set up for the future than where we stand now. There is no arguing we are in a bad predicament. 

2 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

He was in real tough spot this off season.

All three big signings in question are the exact signings we are trying to stay away from. He's in a no win situation this year and I think he knew it and ownership knew it and supported it as well. Covid has mangled our lives in so many ways. Hockey is just a game however, it's a distraction that we typically fall back on when times are tough.

You're right. He wasn't ready for this $&!#ty season. This isn't our year.

I think they'll just take the tank, take the high pick and keep building.  I do think they'll move on from Miller and maybe Green though 

Just now, Pickly said:

I donno @stawns I just can’t fathom even if the cap went up 3 or 4 million we would be better set up for the future than where we stand now. There is no arguing we are in a bad predicament. 

It's been shown many times.......he'd be tight, but he had a progression in place.

Just now, Tom Sestito said:

The flat cap argument needs to stop.

Ferland’s ltir is the equivalent of what the cap increase was projected to be.

They basically got a free compliance buyout.

That's not a free buyout, they lost ferland out of the lineup.......that's a big hole

Just now, stawns said:

That's not a free buyout, they lost ferland out of the lineup.......that's a big hole

He was terrible last year and you wouldn’t have been able to trade his uninsured contract without giving up major assets.

There’s another ferland available in Calgary right now if you want to replace what he brought.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Tyler Myers - 6M

Loui Eriksson - 6M

Brandon Sutter - 4.375M

Michael Ferland - 3.5M

Roberto Luengo 3M

Antoinne Roussel - 3M

Jay Beagle - 3M

Jordie Benn - 2M

Sven Bartschi 2.291M

Ryan Spooner - 1.033M

33 million dollars in so-so players. Great financial management there.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

It's been shown many times.......he'd be tight, but he had a progression in place.

But now it’s backfiring. They made large strides last year but now are regressing and look like the teams under Willie. That’s unacceptable given the star power in the line up. I’ve said before, they can lose games and that doesn’t bother me as long as they are trying but losing they way they have been is a joke and not acceptable to the fan base. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Monty said:

Tyler Myers - 6M

Loui Eriksson - 6M

Brandon Sutter - 4.375M

Michael Ferland - 3.5M

Roberto Luengo 3M

Antoinne Roussel - 3M

Jay Beagle - 3M

Jordie Benn - 2M

Sven Bartschi 2.291M

Ryan Spooner - 1.033M

Zero issue with

Sutter

Beagle

Ferland

Myers

Benn

Baer should be in the lineup, he's a solid player and Luongo is on Gillian, not JB.

Roussel sucks and spooner is mostly meaningless.  Again, if the cap goes up hes in an ok position and getting better with each year for the next 2-3

The only saving grace is Petey and Hughes are playing their way out of a big payday.  It's looking good for a manageable bridge deal

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

But now it’s backfiring. They made large strides last year but now are regressing and look like the teams under Willie. That’s unacceptable given the star power in the line up. I’ve said before, they can lose games and that doesn’t bother me as long as they are trying but losing they way they have been is a joke and not acceptable to the fan base. 

It is, no question, but how could you ever had forseen a pandemic?

7 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

I’m with @canuck73_3

Trading Boeser would have been suspect. He’s improved his defensive game.

You needed both Toffoli and Boeser, not one or the other. 

Trading Boeser to get a defenseman - unless it’s like Dougie &^@#ing Hamilton or something - would have opened up a hole in the top six.

There isn’t much point in shifting the burden from one need to another.

Boeser is brutal defensively.  I have no clue what you're watching.  

Brock has a good shot, but aside from that hes a soft one dimensional player.  I understand hes a feel good story and ppl wont like hearing it, but its a fact... As long as we rely on players like this, we arent getting anywhere.   Podkolzin and Hoglander in the next 2 years will make Brock less relevant.  

If we are lucky enough to move Brock for a legit #2 (not a pretend one like Schmidt) or a young d that can develop into a horse like Edler for us, Benning do should consider it.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1