The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

My problem when people say Myers is a top four defenseman, Sutter is a 3rd line center, Beagle is an elite 4th line center, Holtby replaces most of Markstrom, etc is that means that other players aren’t good enough. Is EP not a first line center? Is horvat not a second line center? Were Tanev and Hughes actually not that good? Because something must have been bringing us down if those beaglesuttermyers types are what you believe they are.

(In previous years, similar was said to defend contracts to Gudbranson, Sbisa, Gagner  waste of money type signings)

Yeah and Myers looks great when compared sbisa, constant but expensive upgrades 

1 minute ago, TheFly said:

I watched until the first goal tonight and had seen enough. This is the end of this group and Benning. It was obvious he wasn't up to the job when he passed on Tkachuk but we had to continue on blindly. Tkachuk, Tryamkin and Virtanen all need to be here and are not. Virtanen is a first liner who needs coddling. Deal the $%^& with it. (Then get rid of him whatever) All three are heavy players.  

:lol:

Aqualini slum landlord background is showing. No business ability beyond exploiting people. Benning is just their incompetent puppet and the players are smart enough to see the whole disgusting attitude of treating faithful warriors like crap. (Ask the Gaglardis or Trevor Linden about the business practices of the Aqualinis.)The fish rots from the head. Vancouver fans need to revoke the social licence of this family owning our team.

Just now, stawns said:

He was going to be tight against the cap this year and next, but he had it set up so that when Petey, Demko and Hughes were up, he was shedding cap big time.  

He still had to put together an NHL team when he got here, hence the Sutter, Beagle, Loui etc deals.   As I said, this year and next were right, but he was in an ok position, all things considered.

It's been dissected on this board ad nauseum

Different strokes I guess. I am done supporting Jim even though I have been giving him the benefit of the doubt for a long time now. Most media types (yeah, say what you want) and fans are befuddled by a lot of his moves and it’s become non defendable at this point. His drafting has been good but how much of that was influenced by Judd Brackett? There is no denying he is bad at negotiating contracts and god forbid he has to go into this off season with Petey and Hughes up for new, monster deals. I just can’t picture this team taking large steps without new direction. 

1 minute ago, davidgoliath said:

Aqualini slum landlord background is showing. No business ability beyond exploiting people. Benning is just their incompetent puppet and the players are smart enough to see the whole disgusting attitude of treating faithful warriors like crap. (Ask the Gaglardis or Trevor Linden about the business practices of the Aqualinis.)The fish rots from the head. Vancouver fans need to revoke the social licence of this family owning our team.

:bored:

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Imagine if Benning gave Tanev the same contract he got with Calgary, and he got injured in game 5, just like he gets injured every year for the last 7 years.  And then imagine with Tanev out Chatfield is taking his place.  What would the difference have been?  

Let go the guy who is the backbone of your whole defense because he may get injured in the future, lol.  Is Tanny or Marky injured yet?  Keep waiting for them to get injured to make yourself look smart?  lol 

1 minute ago, Pickly said:

Different strokes I guess. I am done supporting Jim even though I have been giving him the benefit of the doubt for a long time now. Most media types (yeah, say what you want) and fans are befuddled by a lot of his moves and it’s become non defendable at this point. His drafting has been good but how much of that was influenced by Judd Brackett? There is no denying he is bad at negotiating contracts and god forbid he has to go into this off season with Petey and Hughes up for new, monster deals. I just can’t picture this team taking large steps without new direction. 

JB has a lot of blood on his hands but one thing people always neglect to consider when it comes to FA signings- BC has one of the most punitive tax rates for NHL level salaries- you have to pay extra to get them to come

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

Oh ok.. that’d be nice. But not true. And I never said all those guys make 6 mill just every summer they’ve signed or resigned or trade for someone in that neighborhood. Now we have $$ issues. 

btw we save 1 million on Loui whe. He’s assigned to the minors or somewhere equivalent. Never do we pay 1 million for his “talents”. I hope your trolling and don’t actually think that.. 

Yeah I edited this after i posted. The 1 mil is cap savings if waived. My bad.

1 minute ago, hlinkas wrister said:

JB has a lot of blood on his hands but one thing people always neglect to consider when it comes to FA signings- BC has one of the most punitive tax rates for NHL level salaries- you have to pay extra to get them to come

California has high taxes too don’t even go there

Wonder what's going on... so many bad plays tonight
- Myers didn't even tie up Simmonds but just waved at him
- Chatfield maybe got outclassed and outpaced by Matthews
- Edler somehow got dominated physically by Hyman
- Miller just gave up on backchecking on Matthews' second
- Harder to blame Chatfield for the second Simmonds goal for lack of effort, though he did tie up the body but not the stick

Wonder if Holtby's gonna hate Miller due to the past couple of games