The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, bad alice french said:

Do we have to qualify Brock at 7 mil?

No we don’t have to qualify him @ 7.5 but even then that’s a slippery slope because if you don’t plan on it you better be able to recoup a damn good player in his place because without Boeser this team

is..even worse.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

As bad as it is I still and refuse to believe this team is as bad as they are are playing. Something is seriously wrong here. I can’t put a finger on it but this is atrocious. Many players on this team are much better than how they are playing. Might be a systematic thing or maybe there’s an underlying issue we don’t know about that’s affecting the psyche of this team. All I know it’s change is needed. 

man, I could wrtite an essay on what is wrong/potentially wrong here

but I got to go

I'll try tomo

16 minutes ago, Dogcrazy said:

Let go the guy who is the backbone of your whole defense because he may get injured in the future, lol.  Is Tanny or Marky injured yet?  Keep waiting for them to get injured to make yourself look smart?  lol 

I guess you haven't followed Tanev's career very closely.  He gets injured every single year.  He's missed half a season twice already.  He was also injured in the last game last year and would have missed the last 13 games if not for the shutdown.  Signing a guy to a 4 year contract at age 31 when that player gets injured every single year and misses 15-20 games on average per year for 7 years in a row is usually not a smart move.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanuckGAME said:

Yes to Markstrom...

The Canucks have been developing Markstrom since 2014.  We invested 7 years developing him into the elite goaltender he is today.  Easily the best G we have had since Luongo.

Then we let him walk...for free...just as he's entering his prime.  It's the #1 reason our team is total sh*t this year.

I said it all along,  the smart move would have been to keep Markstrom and trade Demko this off-season while he's just coming off his playoff performance and his value was at an all time high.

Problem is people always have fantasy about a younger player or dreaming about what if the younger player reaches his "potential'.  They basically gave up a goalie and hope the younger goalie is going to be the goalie they gave up...lol.  Now we are waiting for Marky to get injured like people say he will so we all feel better about Benning's decision on letting go a goalie who the team spent years developing.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dogcrazy said:

Problem is people always have fantasy about a younger player or dreaming about what if the younger player reaches his "potential'.  They basically gave up a goalie and hope the younger goalie is going to be the goalie they gave up...lol.  Now we are waiting for Marky to get injured like people say he will so we all feel better about Benning's decision on letting go a goalie who the team spent years developing.  

Goaltending is the least of our problems. We can put in Marky in net tonight and still get shelled by Toronto with this non-defense.

The team can be fixed.

But not with the existing management group

It will be painful

Young players will have to be moved

Time will be needed to have some contracts go away.

But with all the information available to the general public and some information of the old boys club and turn around can be accomplished within 4 years counting this one.

BUT THERE HAS TO BE A PLAN.

Not matter how good Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser or Hughes are they are not enough.

I feel for them having to answer questions for thing they have no responsibility for, the same for Green

The Aqulini's were burned in effgy starting in 2012 and all of 2013. They stepped back and let this gong show continue because they decided to not be involved to stop the threats to their family. The kids are grown now.

Benning is a Faceman, a lame duck GM.

I eagerly await the re=hiring of Gillis, at least henever lied to the fans year after year and was in hindsight the best GM this team has ever had even slightly better than Quinn,maybe, it is very close

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

The problems with this team are WAY deeper than the guys who left via free agency. 

This is a top down issue. The systems aren't working, players aren't buying in, coaches aren't preparing them well enough, leaders aren't leading, guys are squeezing their sticks, mngnt mishandled players and on and on. 

Eventually someone(s) take the fall. It better happen soon or the seasons over. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We could see Horvat leave as a UFA.

Don’t know if he will leave or not but the way things are going here the situation might resemble Edmonton or Colorado where they moved on from some older (once) core players because they floundered for so long.   

1 minute ago, Lazurus said:

The team can be fixed.

But not with the existing management group

It will be painful

Young players will have to be moved

Time will be needed to have some contracts go away.

But with all the information available to the general public and some information of the old boys club and turn around can be accomplished within 4 years counting this one.

BUT THERE HAS TO BE A PLAN.

Not matter how good Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser or Hughes are they are not enough.

I feel for them having to answer questions for thing they have no responsibility for, the same for Green

The Aqulini's were burned in effgy starting in 2012 and all of 2013. They stepped back and let this gong show continue because they decided to not be involved to stop the threats to their family. The kids are grown now.

Benning is a Faceman, a lame duck GM.

I eagerly await the re=hiring of Gillis, at least henever lied to the fans year after year and was in hindsight the best GM this team has ever had even slightly better than Quinn,maybe, it is very close

The bridges are slippery tonight. 

I have no clue what to say about this team. Didn’t watch the game but the scoreboard tells the story. We need to get better on all facets of our game in order to compete with the best. Our key players (Boeser, Miller, Petey, Bo, etc) need to step up their game. That’s all I have to say