The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

i don't get how some of you think Mysers is the worst, check out his plus/minus

Yeah he’s just the whipping boy because of his contact.  He does make some visible errors but he’s also being asked to be the high minute man on a team in disarray.  Reminds me of how everyone played “spot the mistake” with Edler a few years ago.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

The next 9 games will likely determine the course for the season and could very well determine who the coach and/or GM are come March 1st.

9 games before a 3 day break Feb.26-28.

7 at home CGY x 3, WPG x 2, EDM x 2

2 on the road TOR, CGY

Possible outcomes:

3-6. Season is all but over in terms of playoffs. Green and staff likely fired. JB on a very hot seat.

5-4. Season hangs in balance, not good but not over. Green and JB hang on for another month.

7-2. Season back on track. CDC loves Green and there is talk of an extension. JB is seen driving top down with shades on the Burrard bridge on a sunny March 1st morning.

2 other scenarios:

0-9: management enters witness protection program

9-0: euphoria overtakes over YVR and federal authorities suspects the city is high on some really good stuff as Green and JB lock arms in singing the national anthem.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Wont know until they are giving a legit chance like Chatfield; whats the worse that could happen that aint happening now (?)....

Do we really need to see grown men crying on the ice before being sent to stand facing the zamboni?

Edited by J-Strap

43 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

2-3 years is a long time in a player's career. By that future time, Pettersson and Hughes will be 23-24 years old already, in their prime. Horvat will be 28/29 years old at that time. If Miller is still around he'd be 32-33 years old. No garauntee ever that we'd be contenders at that time - really depends on what the next GM is going to do, and his ability to move out contracts - if he can do that - we might not have to wait 2-3 years. The most important contract to me that needs to go is Eriksson. The man is a demoralizer in the sense that he's being paid to produce like a top six forward, but he's sitting on most nights in the press box. That changes I think moving forward, because Green needs to have a more defensive posture, though after last night's loss again to the Leafs, I'm not sure it's making a difference. 

Yeah true, however the entry draft throws a wrench into things too. Add in Covid and a possibly flat cap, and maybe fans, it's hard to judge the landscape. It might be two years until the league is really back to normal anyway. We're going to have money to add top players in the next two years but we'd better remain a good destination to play in the meantime.

51 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Miller is 27 and Bo is 25. 

Yeah, so they'd be what, at least 29 (Miller) and Bo would be at least 27 when many of these contracts are over and done. 

Lots of time has been wasted unfortunately when Benning has signed some of these horrible contracts. 

JB bad signings coming back to haunt him.  In the off season, JB remained status quo or took a step back.  Couldn't or wouldn't pay through the nose to get rid of dead cap space (Baer/LE/etc).

It is what it is...:sadno:

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah he’s just the whipping boy because of his contact.  He does make some visible errors but he’s also being asked to be the high minute man on a team in disarray.  Reminds me of how everyone played “spot the mistake” with Edler a few years ago.

Yeah, but imagine if he actually plays up to the standard that his pay cheque dictates! He might actually hit regularly, get a few passes through, a shot or two on net (wont go as far as scoring) and best of all, wont need to take a regular penalty in order to get his breath.

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah true, however the entry draft throws a wrench into things too. Add in Covid and a possibly flat cap, and maybe fans, it's hard to judge the landscape. It might be two years until the league is really back to normal anyway. We're going to have money to add top players in the next two years but we'd better remain a good destination to play in the meantime.

It's not really a good destination at the moment with the team reeling, and there is a bad stink somewhere in management. Benning doesn't strike me as a person who has made too many good decisions as GM. He's got his strengths of course, but it feels like his mistakes and weaknesses far outstrip his strength(s). And on top of it all, he hires Weisbrod to be AGM. There is no sports world or scenario ever that I would want Weisbrod as a GM of an NHL club. 

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, so they'd be what, at least 29 (Miller) and Bo would be at least 27 when many of these contracts are over and done. 

Lots of time has been wasted unfortunately when Benning has signed some of these horrible contracts. 

Well didn’t the post I responded to say Miller would be 32/33? How’s he gonna age 5 or 6 years in only 2-3?

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Props to Edler for shooting to puck at Simmonds 

He knows what he is doing 

enjoy your “break” Simmonds 

Was it wrong of me to think at the time - Now is the time Myers should just pummel Simmonds for that predatory hit on Hughes the other night.  Edler took care of it though. Now the Leafs ain't so tough. Hey Travis, new game plan.  

1 hour ago, Squamfan said:

I still don’t give this any credence - and if true, we’re not winning anything for a long time.

Instead of supporting the team a vocal minority of fans have dropped trow and projectile crapped over everything management did the past 5 years.  

Have the players gotten caught up in it?  This fanbase creates its own destiny with the entitled whining even when things were heading in the right direction.  

There’s a reason stud BC born players never want to play here and it isn’t the GMs.  All of the pressure and none of the prestige of playing for an original 6 team like the Habs or Leafs.  Even then there’s a reason a Canadian team hasn’t won a cup in forever.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

JB bad signings coming back to haunt him.  In the off season, JB remained status quo or took a step back.  Couldn't or wouldn't pay through the nose to get rid of dead cap space (Baer/LE/etc).

It is what it is...:sadno:

It is what it is, but it didn't have to be this way. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

Miller has been a great fit to our team. why do people need to blame a player or players who are having a down year during this covid time . none of us paid to go see the team play. nobody is out of pocket. no, just everyone who loved our team last year, are now turning on them.  when the team does get going and  all these rabid fans will say they always believed in them, ya right!!! 

Don't get me wrong he's a very good player and my mind won't change on that. I just think maybe he's not the "locker room leader" he was sold to being as when he was traded to Vancouver. He's a good player sure but maybe he's more of a Phil Kessell rather than a Patrice Bergeron. Which is fine I think people made the same criticism with Ovi before he won the cup.  

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

I still don’t give this any credence - and if true, we’re not winning anything for a long time.

Instead of supporting the team a vocal minority of fans have dropped trow and projectile crapped over everything management did the past 5 years.  

Have the players gotten caught up in it?  This fanbase creates its own destiny with the entitled whining even when things were heading in the right direction.  

There’s a reason stud BC born players never want to play here and it isn’t the GMs.  All of the pressure and none of the prestige of playing for an original 6 team like the Habs or Leafs.  Even then there’s a reason a Canadian team hasn’t won a cup in forever.  

When has it headed in the right direction? We were not a playoff team when the season ended and were gifted a spot in the revised setup. 

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

And they’ll cry and whine about the next guys too. It’s never ending. That’s why I’ve always tried to support management and cheer for them like the team to hopefully see it through. Nothing will change as far as the fan base goes, no matter who’s steering the boat 

• Cheers 1