The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

Sure the Canucks lost a few players, a lot of teams do, but the Canucks still have really good players. The coach hasn't been able to get them working as a unit. 

The problem might be Benning doesn't have the you know what to fire Green. 

Edited by NUCKER67

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

When has it headed in the right direction? We were not a playoff team when the season ended and were gifted a spot in the revised setup. 

Enough with the gifted a playoff spot. They were a game away from the conference finals 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

When has it headed in the right direction? We were not a playoff team when the season ended and were gifted a spot in the revised setup. 

So you’re saying the roster should be torn right down then. Like, there’s nothing to build off of.  Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander, Demko, Miller, Boeser, Schmidt... the wrong direction. Got it. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I still don’t give this any credence - and if true, we’re not winning anything for a long time.

Instead of supporting the team a vocal minority of fans have dropped trow and projectile crapped over everything management did the past 5 years.  

Have the players gotten caught up in it?  This fanbase creates its own destiny with the entitled whining even when things were heading in the right direction.  

There’s a reason stud BC born players never want to play here and it isn’t the GMs.  All of the pressure and none of the prestige of playing for an original 6 team like the Habs or Leafs.  Even then there’s a reason a Canadian team hasn’t won a cup in forever.  

indeed it's true that the pressure in Canadian markets are very intense. But that's part and parcel of when you play in Canada and for most markets, the NHL is the major sport in the city, except of course, Toronto, which has just about all the other major sport, except for the NFL. 

I think there's a reason for why Florida is often an attractive place, or L.A. Nice weather (which Vancity does not have during the hockey season), anonymity (for the most part), and they get paid (if they're good) quite well. 

In Vancouver, they're constantly under the microscope. It can get quite heavy. It's remarkable that the Sedins have been as cool as they have been over their entire careers in a fishbowl market like Vancouver. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Westcoasting said:

Enough with the game from conference finals, they wouldn’t have been in playoffs in a normal year

Nobody knows that they were literally tied for a playoff spot. Stop taking away facts and success 

• Cheers 1

Just now, ilduce39 said:

So you’re saying the roster should be torn right down then. Like, there’s nothing to build off of.  Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander, Demko, Miller, Boeser, Schmidt... the wrong direction. Got it. 

No not at all but I am saying be realistic and let’s not pretend this team has been close to having the right mix of players to contend.

3 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

And they’ll cry and whine about the next guys too. It’s never ending. That’s why I’ve always tried to support management and cheer for them like the team to hopefully see it through. Nothing will change as far as the fan base goes, no matter who’s steering the boat 

Yep.  

And hey... this season?  They deserve criticism.  This is probably the first roster I’ve seen in over 5 years that’s underperforming it’s talent level.  Fine.  

But it’s been non stop complaining (not necessarily on CDC) for years.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sure the Canucks lost a few players, a lot of teams do, but the Canucks still have really good players. The coach hasn't been able to get them working as a unit. 

I fully agree 

in the cap world you simply can’t keep the band together 

has JB made mistakes?  yes and he should be gone but Travis has a roster that is much more capable than we are showing 

he simply is not getting results and hasn’t for 4 years 

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Nobody knows that they were literally tied for a playoff spot. Stop taking away facts and success 

Do you see success this year? No so it’s time to be realistic and quit planning the parade. Seriously a team should be in the playoffs every year or making the changes to get back in. 

Quote from Travis after the 5-3 loss to MTL last Tuesday:

"We looked like a team that knew what it takes to win. It was a grinding game early and a step in the right direction for sure"

and then they lost two to TOR by a combined score of  12-4

Green's gotta go, he can take Baumer with him.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

It's not really a good destination at the moment with the team reeling, and there is a bad stink somewhere in management. Benning doesn't strike me as a person who has made too many good decisions as GM. He's got his strengths of course, but it feels like his mistakes and weaknesses far outstrip his strength(s). And on top of it all, he hires Weisbrod to be AGM. There is no sports world or scenario ever that I would want Weisbrod as a GM of an NHL club. 

Ah, I think people are over-reacting a bit here. Our core is the same minus Chris Tanev and Markstrom. Smart players and agents will see we still have a high amount of young skill with more coming in the pipeline and the ability to bring in even more good players. Hopefully the team gets sorted out a bit this year but if I'm a fan or management if there was ever a season to falter it's this one. I'm going to wait until the end of Feb to see where we're at. A lot of panic over 6 games due to a short season. Either way it's not as bad as some are proclaiming.

I fully agree with Juice when he says we are fun to play against 

Little guys like Marner and Nylander can skate around embarrassing us with zero fear of pushback

how is that not fun for any team? 

whip us and we quietly go away, we come back with zero pushback and then go away quietly again 

soft as butter but then again we have Coach Ghandi who will punish any young guy that stands up for a teammate 

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Yep.  

And hey... this season?  They deserve criticism.  This is probably the first roster I’ve seen in over 5 years that’s underperforming it’s talent level.  Fine.  

But it’s been non stop complaining (not necessarily on CDC) for years.

They could go on a 10 game winning streak and there would still be complaints. My issue is that this team is WAY better then they’ve shown thus far. The players are more than capable. I expected them to level out this year as the vets are aging,  the core is still young, and the losses this off-season but the team is an above .500 team even in Canada not a doubt in my mind. Be interesting to see the matchup against Calgary. 

Am I disappointed. Extremely.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

They could go on a 10 game winning streak and there would still be complaints. My issue is that this team is WAY better then they’ve shown thus far. The players are more than capable. I expected them to level out this year as the vets are aging,  the core is still young, and the losses this off-season but the team is an above .500 team even in Canada not a doubt in my mind. Be interesting to see the matchup against Calgary. 

Am I disappointed. Extremely.  

I think most here wouldn't be so upset at losing as long as the games were close instead of being blown out almost every single game.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Do you see success this year? No so it’s time to be realistic and quit planning the parade. Seriously a team should be in the playoffs every year or making the changes to get back in. 

Who’s planning a parade? There’s issues the team should be way better. But I can’t relate and say they fluked out last year taking Vegas to game 7 sorry. I give credit where credit is due and last year was a big step even in the regular season. 

• Cheers 1