The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

58 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This is déjà vu all over again. They can say whatever they want, the fact is they have been saying it over and over again after each loss and they have done nothing the next game. Actually show the fans rather than keep saying the same things over and over. Their play on the ice is uninspired. Come out and show you want it for once!

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Vintage 1
Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

This is déjà vu all over again. They can say whatever they want, the fact is they have been saying it over and over again after each loss and they have done nothing the next game. Actually show the fans rather than keep saying the same things over and over. There play on the ice is uninspired. Come out and show you want it for once!

Exactly. Why do these interviews and provide nothing new? It’s pointless. 

I’d assume that some of the players must loathe having to sit there and field questions knowing that they have to provide a canned answer. 

Kind of surprised the team hasn’t called a players only meeting.

I mean if there is something going on internally they need to address it.

I know these meetings are merely symbolic but look at Calgary. They held one when their record wasn’t even that bad and they seem to be rebounding.

At the very least I think it would show they care.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. They look defeated. Dejected. Done. Where is the pride? The fight? The want to be better? It’s not there at all. 

Have they even had a closed door meeting yet? I thought guys like Miller would grab the bull by the horns but it seems like the vets are checked out and the youth is in over their heads. 

I thought signing guys like Rousel, Beagle Sutter was there to insulate the young guys so they develop in a competitive environment? 

The lack of fight back further exposes the wasted cap space. 

I still think we have a bright future but the Calgary series, the 2 Mtl series and the Toronto series show that our bottom 6 vets aren't good enough to stabilize our young core 

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

If this is the real issue, they should say so. Why not? Expose the thoughtlessness of the NHL in regards to scheduling teams and overworking some while giving others an easier schedule. 

If this is the real issue, they should say so. Why not? Expose the thoughtlessness of the NHL in regards to scheduling teams and overworking some while giving others an easier schedule. 

This next week will be telling then.

If fatigue is the reason they’re playing so poorly then a stretch of 7 of 8 games at home with regular rest days means their play should improve significantly.

If we see more of the same Im not sure we can use that excuse anymore.

• Vintage 1
2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Have they even had a closed door meeting yet? I thought guys like Miller would grab the bull by the horns but it seems like the vets are checked out and the youth is in over their heads. 

I thought signing guys like Rousel, Beagle Sutter was there to insulate the young guys so they develop in a competitive environment? 

The lack of fight back further exposes the wasted cap space. 

I still think we have a bright future but the Calgary series, the 2 Mtl series and the Toronto series show that our bottom 6 vets aren't good enough to stabilize our young core 

Nope. The leader of this team should be taking the bull by the horns. I think everyone must be waiting for him to do something. It’s on him. This season will be an indictment of a few things once it’s done. Horvat’s capability as a captain is one of them. Now is the time for him to establish himself. Forget about what Henrik would have done. 

• Vintage 1
31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, if they fire Benning the Canucks will suddenly start scoring and playing good D?

Benning has made mistakes, lots of them, but he's not responsible for their terrible play this year.  

Yeah he’s responsible for constructing a poor roster . Top heavy with no depth and a garbage d core 

• Sad 2
Just now, DeNiro said:

This next week will be telling then.

If fatigue is the reason they’re playing so poorly then a stretch of 7 of 8 games at home with regular rest days means their play should improve significantly.

If we see more of the same Im not sure we can use that excuse anymore.

Exactly. I don’t think it’s merely a scheduling thing. They look defeated. 

15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Never seen a team throw in the towel like this for 4 consecutive games in blow outs. Even perennial loser teams don't do that. 

Aren't they already at the bottom of the standings? 

image.png.c12e0c0a0d7f736e22cea2f9670cf98b.png

Got a little work to do yet.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 1

Nope. The leader of this team should be taking the bull by the horns. I think everyone must be waiting for him to do something. It’s on him. This season will be an indictment of a few things once it’s done. Horvat’s capability as a captain is one of them. Now is the time for him to establish himself. Forget about what Henrik would have done. 

Agreed, as captain, it's Horvat’s time to step up. 

He is built like a bull. This means finishing his checks with hard hits and playing the right way and becoming more vocal about team accountability

• Vintage 2
5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

i believe it is the issue, and the NHL meant it to be that way

• Haha 1
Just now, Silky mitts said:

Yeah he’s responsible for constructing a poor roster . Top heavy with no depth and a garbage d core 

Funny how everyone was praising our D core at the beginning of the season saying it was better than last years.

The D core is better than they’re playing. Benning didn’t construct a lottery team D core yet they’re playing like one. That comes down to the coaching staff 100%.

If the systems are strong and the proper pairings are put together there’s no reason this team should ever be giving 5+ goals a game. That is not on Benning.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

image.png.c12e0c0a0d7f736e22cea2f9670cf98b.png

Got a little work to do yet.

Well looks like our win percentage is tied with team 29 lol

I would consider that pretty much bottom of the league

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Well looks like our win percentage is tied with team 29 lol

I would consider that pretty much bottom of the league

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
Just now, DeNiro said:

Funny how everyone was praising our D core at the beginning of the season saying it was better than last years.

The D core is better than they’re playing. Benning didn’t construct a lottery team D core yet they’re playing like one. That comes down to the coaching staff 100%.

If the systems are strong and the proper pairings are put together there’s no reason this team should ever be giving 5+ goals a game. That is not on Benning.

I for one thought we had an improved d core. 

Now ppl are saying Markstrom bailed them out (which is probably true) but id like to see stats of high danger scoring chances faced which back this up. 

There is no way this team is bottom 3 in the league and not only that but losing in lopsided affairs with consistency 

2 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

He did bring in Schmidt and Hamonic, and Juolevi was finally ready. Plus, all this promising talk about Rafferty.

Edler, Myers and Hughes are all good D, but the entire D corp has been awful this year. 

On paper, this was supposed to work well:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Schmidt

Juolevi - Hamonic

Benn

Rafferty

Chatfield

They shouldn't be this bad. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

To be fair: I think you put too much weight on Horvat's shoulders. Jim has mentioned several times that Canucks have a leadership group with guys like Edler, Sutter, Miller and Horvat. They have to act collectively as a group to get this team going.

• -SN- unfeatured and unpinned this topic