The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, if they fire Benning the Canucks will suddenly start scoring and playing good D?

Benning has made mistakes, lots of them, but he's not responsible for their terrible play this year.  

Yeah he’s responsible for constructing a poor roster . Top heavy with no depth and a garbage d core 

• Sad 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

This next week will be telling then.

If fatigue is the reason they’re playing so poorly then a stretch of 7 of 8 games at home with regular rest days means their play should improve significantly.

If we see more of the same Im not sure we can use that excuse anymore.

Exactly. I don’t think it’s merely a scheduling thing. They look defeated. 

15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Never seen a team throw in the towel like this for 4 consecutive games in blow outs. Even perennial loser teams don't do that. 

Aren't they already at the bottom of the standings? 

image.png.c12e0c0a0d7f736e22cea2f9670cf98b.png

Got a little work to do yet.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Nope. The leader of this team should be taking the bull by the horns. I think everyone must be waiting for him to do something. It’s on him. This season will be an indictment of a few things once it’s done. Horvat’s capability as a captain is one of them. Now is the time for him to establish himself. Forget about what Henrik would have done. 

Agreed, as captain, it's Horvat’s time to step up. 

He is built like a bull. This means finishing his checks with hard hits and playing the right way and becoming more vocal about team accountability

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If this is the real issue, they should say so. Why not? Expose the thoughtlessness of the NHL in regards to scheduling teams and overworking some while giving others an easier schedule. 

i believe it is the issue, and the NHL meant it to be that way

• Haha 1

Just now, Silky mitts said:

Yeah he’s responsible for constructing a poor roster . Top heavy with no depth and a garbage d core 

Funny how everyone was praising our D core at the beginning of the season saying it was better than last years.

The D core is better than they’re playing. Benning didn’t construct a lottery team D core yet they’re playing like one. That comes down to the coaching staff 100%.

If the systems are strong and the proper pairings are put together there’s no reason this team should ever be giving 5+ goals a game. That is not on Benning.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Funny how everyone was praising our D core at the beginning of the season saying it was better than last years.

The D core is better than they’re playing. Benning didn’t construct a lottery team D core yet they’re playing like one. That comes down to the coaching staff 100%.

If the systems are strong and the proper pairings are put together there’s no reason this team should ever be giving 5+ goals a game. That is not on Benning.

I for one thought we had an improved d core. 

Now ppl are saying Markstrom bailed them out (which is probably true) but id like to see stats of high danger scoring chances faced which back this up. 

There is no way this team is bottom 3 in the league and not only that but losing in lopsided affairs with consistency 

2 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

He did bring in Schmidt and Hamonic, and Juolevi was finally ready. Plus, all this promising talk about Rafferty.

Edler, Myers and Hughes are all good D, but the entire D corp has been awful this year. 

On paper, this was supposed to work well:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Schmidt

Juolevi - Hamonic

Benn

Rafferty

Chatfield

They shouldn't be this bad. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Nope. The leader of this team should be taking the bull by the horns. I think everyone must be waiting for him to do something. It’s on him. This season will be an indictment of a few things once it’s done. Horvat’s capability as a captain is one of them. Now is the time for him to establish himself. Forget about what Henrik would have done. 

To be fair: I think you put too much weight on Horvat's shoulders. Jim has mentioned several times that Canucks have a leadership group with guys like Edler, Sutter, Miller and Horvat. They have to act collectively as a group to get this team going.

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If this is the real issue, they should say so. Why not? Expose the thoughtlessness of the NHL in regards to scheduling teams and overworking some while giving others an easier schedule. 

We get the easier schedule moving forward. Theoretically this should even out. I'm not exactly confident though.

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

He did bring in Schmidt and Hamonic, and Juolevi was finally ready. Plus, all this promising talk about Rafferty.

Edler, Myers and Hughes are all good D, but the entire D corp has been awful this year. 

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Schmidt

Juolevi - Hamonic

Benn

Rafferty

Chatfield

Myers is a 5-6 D man on a any average team in the NHL.  HIs contract is a joke...  almost as bad as LE's 

Harmonic is basically no longer NHL calibre D Man.....  another terrible signing...

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

image.png.c12e0c0a0d7f736e22cea2f9670cf98b.png

Got a little work to do yet.

No, well just be fine to pick in the top 10, even better in the top 5 in the next NHL entry draft. Let's throw in some young players like Rathbone and Juolevi and call this season a season of player development (Hoglander, Demko, Rathbone, Juolevi, Chatfield need NHL games to develop) .

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Edler - Myers

Hughes - Schmidt

Juolevi - Hamonic

Benn

Rafferty

Chatfield

The roster is definitely capable. Schmidt looked pretty good on the top pairing in Vegas. I think they are a pretty good team. Something else going on here 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I for one thought we had an improved d core. 

Now ppl are saying Markstrom bailed them out (which is probably true) but id like to see stats of high danger scoring chances faced which back this up. 

There is no way this team is bottom 3 in the league and not only that but losing in lopsided affairs with consistency 

Exactly.

Look at the D core Willie had when we were a bottom 3 team and you can see why were so bad.

Comparing that to this current D core is night and day. If this coaching staff can’t get better results with this group then it’s on them. Maybe a case of players not buying in anymore.

At the very least I wanna see Baumer and Brown replaced if this trend continues. Then there will be no doubt.

• Cheers 4

3 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

No, well just be fine to pick in the top 10, even better in the top 5 in the next NHL entry draft. Let's throw in some young players like Rathbone and Juolevi and call this season a season of player development

I wonder if this is what the dressing room sounds like right now. I get what your saying but damn it why are we throwing in the towel. Beating on the flames and Oilers can definitely change the outcome this year. These are all 4 point games 

5 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

No, well just be fine to pick in the top 10, even better in the top 5 in the next NHL entry draft. Let's throw in some young players like Rathbone and Juolevi and call this season a season of player development (Hoglander, Demko, Rathbone, Juolevi, Chatfield need NHL games to develop) .

Questions though do the draft position matter this year as much as the previous years? I would imagine scouting is much harder with the covid situation so the draft rankings could feel more like a crap shoot. So a 3rd overall could feel like a 15th and vise versa

Edited by iinatcc