The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 6, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | NHLN, CBC, TVAS, SN, CITY

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, iinatcc said:

Questions though do the draft position matter this year as much as the previous years? I would imagine scouting is much harder with the covid situation so the draft rankings could feel more like a crap shoot 

Power is looking like he deserves to be number 1. Big mobile defender that is already putting up points in the NCAA.

Beyond that I think there will definitely be good players available throughout the first round.

I said this last season, recently in a few GDT's as well, and Bieksa said it last night:

this team has no identity.

The entire league's skilled enough to defeat Green/Baumgartner's rinkydink team D-zone system, and this is from where the problem's metastasized now to a full blown crisis. The product we see on the ice is a lowest common denominator type system which was devised to succeed in an 82 game regular season, where you play a different team every game, and slink into the playoffs, only to theoretically find another gear. Rope a Dope regular season finally caught up to us with Vegas who quite literally skated circles around us in the D zone. Remember those 2-3mins nightmare shifts against? Well, the entire league's now figured out how to beat this crappy system, and the coaching staff is either too stubborn, egotist, or dumb (not likely this) to change.

If this team does indeed have an identity, it's PUSHOVER.

How do you change this?  Go get the puck, and punish the other team for touching it.

Another thing which grinds my gears, is in his 7th season Green and his bloody staff have STILL NOT ingrained a breakout system, other than TURN AND GO! There's rarely puck support, and when the last man gets swarmed by two forwards 4 of our guys are streaking up ice! Not only this, it seems like 80% or more of our breakouts entail 100 foot cross ice desperation passes. PICK A BLOODY WING and march the puck up ice! It worked for Scotty Bowman, why can't it work for the Incredible Sulk?

xzNwPqP.jpg

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

No, well just be fine to pick in the top 10, even better in the top 5 in the next NHL entry draft. Let's throw in some young players like Rathbone and Juolevi and call this season a season of player development (Hoglander, Demko, Rathbone, Juolevi, Chatfield need NHL games to develop) .

The way I see it I'll give them the rest of the month at home to figure it out. If we get back into it we can chalk it up to schedule, off-season shuffling, bad luck, Tofolli, etc. If we continue to suck though I'll still call it a win if we can get a top ten pick, move guys at the deadline like Sutter, Virtanen, Gaudette, Pearson, Edler, Benn, etc., as well as trade for a good young dman who'll otherwise be exposed at the entry draft. Yeah I would call that a win at this point.

20 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

We get the easier schedule moving forward. Theoretically this should even out. I'm not exactly confident though.

Ironically every team we play says that 

we suck, no “easy” games 

we literally will be underdogs in every game other than when we play Ottawa 

thanks Green 

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Did losing Marky, Tanev , TF,  and Stecher really cause some kind of rift between managment and players...

I mean to just quit playing hard because of that wouldn’t be very professional.

Teams go through turnover all the time. Especially teams trying to build toward contention. 

If that is the case we should be looking to move those players. That’s a poor mentality and not really one you want to build a team around.

• Cheers 4

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Did losing Marky, Tanev , TF,  and Stecher really cause some kind of rift between managment and players...

For sure a factor, don’t forget stecher who was a beloved teammate . The team Has lost confidence for sure in management and their incompetence.

16 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

If TG ices the vets again it's going to be the kiss of death.  Slow, can't execute, no real puck pressure.  This team desperately needs all of its best skaters on the ice if they want to create any momentum

I think it’s more then just icing certain players. They aren’t playing like a group. Doesn’t matter who’s on the ice. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

If TG ices the vets again it's going to be the kiss of death.  Slow, can't execute, no real puck pressure.  This team desperately needs all of its best skaters on the ice if they want to create any momentum

If he looks hard enough he may find another 30 plus year old to play 

How many people on here want Benning to make trades if he is on his way out? He doesn’t have a good history of making trades under pressure and he’s terrible at negotiating. So do we really want him to make trades knowing he likes to throw draft picks at teams like he’s Willy Wonka at the chocolate factory giving away free candy. I don’t have any trust in his judgement or lack there of right now. Does anyone else?

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

How many people on here want Benning to make trades if he is on his way out? He doesn’t have a good history of making trades under pressure and he’s terrible at negotiating. So do we really want him to make trades knowing he likes to throw draft picks at teams?

No trades. We’ll be another 7 games deep before they are allowed to play anyway 

1 minute ago, Silky mitts said:

For sure a factor, don’t forget stecher who was a beloved teammate . The team Has lost confidence for sure in management and their incompetence.

I don’t buy that angle at all.

You really think professionals would just mail it in because they don’t agree with moves management made? 

If there’s players pouting over that then they need to be moved. We want players that will buy in for better or for worse. It’s not their job to think about what management is doing, it’s their job to play hard and let the chips fall where they may.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, DeNiro said:

I don’t buy that angle at all.

You really think professionals would just mail it in because they don’t agree with moves management made? 

If there’s players pouting over that then they need to be moved. We want players that will buy in for better or for worse. It’s not their job to think about what management is doing, it’s their job to play hard and let the chips fall where they may.

The players are human....   not robots.