The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hughes do we need him, hear me out

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

This is my time 

and Demko will be a star and I have been saying that for a long time  maybe not with Hughes in front of him

Lol. I love that you acknowledge that this would be the first.

Maybe Hughes will develop the defensive aspect of his game. If not, they don't need to give him the massive contract you're so worried about. There's a lot more that goes into contract negotiations than points, especially now days with all the analytics so it's not just about a guy's reputation as a defensive player, there are loose objective measures.

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

some times it takes crazy to see what others do not or can not

I think if you were the GM you would've traded Horvat before he got this good and traded Petersson earlier this season. Heck you would have traded Markstrom 5 years ago when he was not looking like a number 1 goalie. Sorry but your takes are as good as the toilet paper I use when I take a dump. There is no sense in your thread because you can't see the big picture. Hughes can't carry a team that is unmotivated and lacks passion, not even Gretzky can help this team win. We have more problems than Hughes, to the point that you will seen Green, Benning all fired and some trades happen before any concerns are shown towards Hughes. In fact I will go as far as saying that Hughes is the number 1 untouchable player on this team, even more so than Pettersson. You want to know why? He has more points than anyone on our team playing as a DEFENSEMAN. So there is no way he will be traded, in fact he would be converted to wing before we even think about trading Hughes. 

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

My god we really are the most reactionary and worst fan base in the NHL. He’s leading all Dmen in the league in points... and currently tied for 4th among all skaters! It’s also his second season, come on man this is the worst take I’ve ever heard. Yes he’s had defensive lapses this year but the entire team has been incredibly bad and you’re talking about trading one of the best young talents to ever enter the Canucks organization? Hughes isn’t the problem.

Lol this is a new low for this fan forum.

The funny thing is we have almost 30 million dollar wasted cap space, yet these trolls post threads regarding a 21 year old defenseman struggling in his zone but still being number 1 in terms of points by defenseman, knowing full well that he is being paired with a fringe number 6 D man in Benn. When we have Benn, Chatfield, Edler the experience veteran and Myers playing awful D, there is no reason to rag on our elite young D man that has not been the same since the departure of Tanev. These same trolls would be the very first people to come back and say Benning made the biggest mistake in franchise history if Hughes was to be traded. I don't take these arm chair GMs that troll on these boards seriously because they lack hockey knowledge.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I think if you were the GM you would've traded Horvat before he got this good and traded Petersson earlier this season. Heck you would have traded Markstrom 5 years ago when he was not looking like a number 1 goalie. Sorry but your takes are as good as the toilet paper I use when I take a dump. There is no sense in your thread because you can't see the big picture. Hughes can't carry a team that is unmotivated and lacks passion, not even Gretzky can help this team win. We have more problems than Hughes, to the point that you will seen Green, Benning all fired and some trades happen before any concerns are shown towards Hughes. In fact I will go as far as saying that Hughes is the number 1 untouchable player on this team, even more so than Pettersson. You want to know why? He has more points than anyone on our team playing as a DEFENSEMAN. So there is no way he will be traded, in fact he would be converted to wing before we even think about trading Hughes. 

read the whole thread

53 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

is he a #1 is he the QB

Relax buddy, if he was supposed to also have defensive skills like Lidstrom, he would be nominated for both Norris and Hart trophy. He is young and you expect Hughes to be some sort of Lidstrom defenseman with 16 points in 14 games and great defensive abilities while also being physical and also make saves too. If we had that type of defender in Hughes, then he would be the best player in the NHL compared Bobby Orr in his prime. I know it sucks that his defensive skills aren't as good as Lidstrom. Look at some of the number 1 overall picks that has been drafted. Where is Hischier? Dahlin? How come you don't rag about Lafrennier? where is Kakko? I dont have any concerns regarding Hughes because I know he is elite, his offense is still a great contribution to the team and I will be patient with Hughes until he gets out of this funk. I don't expect him to be Lidstrom like in defense but I know he is better than this. 

Just now, DefCon1 said:

Relax buddy, if he was supposed to also have defensive skills like Lidstrom, he would be nominated for both Norris and Hart trophy. He is young and you expect Hughes to be some sort of Lidstrom defenseman with 16 points in 14 games and great defensive abilities while also being physical and also make saves too. If we had that type of defender in Hughes, then he would be the best player in the NHL compared Bobby Orr in his prime. I know it sucks that his defensive skills aren't as good as Lidstrom. Look at some of the number 1 overall picks that has been drafted. Where is Hischier? Dahlin? How come you don't rag about Lafrennier? where is Kakko? I dont have any concerns regarding Hughes because I know he is elite, his offense is still a great contribution to the team and I will be patient with Hughes until he gets out of this funk. I don't expect him to be Lidstrom like in defense but I know he is better than this. 

read the whole tread

• Haha 1

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

read the whole thread

I don't need to read the whole thread because of your 1st post. I know you must be new to hockey or a troll because when you post threads like this, it shows you really lack hockey knowledge. The whole team is a mess, there is no need to target Hughes. In fact Hughes played better in todays game and we have a lot worst players than Hughes. You judge a team and a player when they are at their lowest point which is really flawed. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Admit it kid... it was a dumb thread.

Just admit and go have a cookie.

I think Defcon1 put it really well

10 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

The funny thing is we have almost 30 million dollar wasted cap space, yet these trolls post threads regarding a 21 year old defenseman struggling in his zone but still being number 1 in terms of points by defenseman, knowing full well that he is being paired with a fringe number 6 D man in Benn. When we have Benn, Chatfield, Edler the experience veteran and Myers playing awful D, there is no reason to rag on our elite young D man that has not been the same since the departure of Tanev. These same trolls would be the very first people to come back and say Benning made the biggest mistake in franchise history if Hughes was to be traded. I don't take these arm chair GMs that troll on these boards seriously because they lack hockey knowledge.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

No to your question.

Hughes is suppose to be the #1 the QB why does he need the protection he is the play driver if he is #1

I do not see him as a true number 1

I see him as an elite offensive defenseman

I see #1 defensemen, as a player who is elite/very strong both offensively and defensively

now someone else may disagree with my definition

Tanev was the Ying to Hughes Yang

Tanev is gone and we have not found that replacement

That is not on Hughes

Hughes is 20 years old..........relax on him, the team has plenty of problems

Pretty much everyone of them was created by Benning

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

I don't need to read the whole thread because of your 1st post. I know you must be new to hockey or a troll because when you post threads like this, it shows you really lack hockey knowledge. The whole team is a mess, there is no need to target Hughes. In fact Hughes played better in todays game and we have a lot worst players than Hughes. You judge a team and a player when they are at their lowest point which is really flawed. 

get to the 4th page

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Admit it kid... it was a dumb thread.

Just admit and go have a cookie.

I think some people seem to have been affected by lockdown fatigue and are bored. It is really sad to see threads like this because it badly reflects on our whole fanbase. 

• Cheers 1

Sorry you don't trade away a superstar like Hughes..Last time i checked he was leading all D men in points? 

Sorry you can't blame Hughes for the way this team is playing..There a 5 man unit and team is not playing close to there potential..

look at Schmidt, you don't even notice him so explain that? Schmidt was top minute guy for Vegas last season...

Tanev not being here is not the problem...All experts would not of signed Tanev to 4 yrs X 4 million at 31 yrs old...

There 12 forwards and 6 D men - 1 goalie --- Nobody played good...

• Cheers 1

Very stupid thread, ask any hockey guy Hughes is not there problem, yes he could be better in his own zone but that is everyone wearing a blue uniform playing poor defensive coverage.....

Taffoli and Leivo are players I wish we would of kept...

• Cheers 1