The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hughes do we need him, hear me out

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

I do not see him as a true number 1

I see him as an elite offensive defenseman

I see #1 defensemen, as a player who is elite/very strong both offensively and defensively

now someone else may disagree with my definition

Tanev was the Ying to Hughes Yang

Tanev is gone and we have not found that replacement

That is not on Hughes

Hughes is 20 years old..........relax on him, the team has plenty of problems

Pretty much everyone of them was created by Benning

I really think people have to be patient with Hughes since he is developing. There is no reason to think that he won't be able to improve his defense. Lots of young defenders need time to hone the defensive skills, look at Petry. Obviously he won't be a physical defenseman like Pronger, but Scott Niedermeyer also was not a big, physical D man. He will improve and he will be our team's MVP. What I don't get is how our fanbase had a huge circle jerk when Hughes was playing great last season, almost a calder winner and when he was playing great in playoffs. Now we have some people here who want to trade him after the season he had. I mean there is no logic to this, because the whole team is playing bad. With the logic OP uses, we might as well trade Pettersson and Miller, along with Demko too. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

This is a fire Benning thread

This is something we really can agree upon..

I am new in NA hockey mentality and I knew at once the problem Canucks had with him as GM due to the way he trashtalked Dahlen. 

A GM that don't know about basic psychology is just trash himself. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Timråfan said:

This is something we really can agree upon..

I am new in NA hockey mentality and I knew at once the problem Canucks had with him as GM due to the way he trashtalked Dahlen. 

A GM that don't know about basic psychology is just trash himself. 

dahlen sucks. rips up the allsvenskan and can't even get a sniff at the shl, let alone nhl.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Wow, the number of poster that have never ran a team where winning games was the first thought is abundantly clear here

Maybe simple math will help, now pay attention, this is real simply and has no names attached.

What is better? Scoring 16 goals in 4 games or stopping 28 goals in four games?

The team scores 36 goals but allows 48 against

the team scores 20 goals but allows only 20 against

Which team has the best chance of winning every night? Which team is more exciting to watch?

One team will attract fans eager to win

The other a group out for an nights entertainment and a close game. Winning is nice but not the end all be all

There once a player that was scoring 150 to 160 points a year, his team never won anything then came a coach that taught him to be a 200' player, his scoring went down to the 110's and 120's but suddenly his team was winning and eventually won a cup or two and created a foundation that played in the playoffs for 25 year.

That was Yzerman and Demers, followed by Bowman who put Federov on defence to teach him that part of the game.

Now Hughes, no matter how much you think he is cute little cuddly bear is just that, little and he isn't handling premier forwards very well, in regular times he may have got a break every now and then but this division if fighting for bragging rights in Canada so every game is competitive.

Chatfield made the deadlines being minus 4, Hughes was minus 2 with and assit meaning he was one the ice for 3 Toronto goals, Chatfield 4 TO goals

Team that win know stopping goals is just as important, that is why some goalies make big bucks but it is the same for skaters, what the sense of having a guy score 10 goals if 20 are scored against him?

There are only a few players on every team that will not be traded ..

Vancouver have 3 players 1. Hughes 21 year old superstar D man ---2. Petterssen 22 year old centre  superstar - 3 Horvat , 25 yrs old

Vancouver have never had such a great D man in there 51 years in this league..

The guy that started this post  lacks hockey knowledge...

Close post please..

Edited by wildcam
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Wow, the number of poster that have never ran a team where winning games was the first thought is abundantly clear here

Maybe simple math will help, now pay attention, this is real simply and has no names attached.

What is better? Scoring 16 goals in 4 games or stopping 28 goals in four games?

The team scores 36 goals but allows 48 against

the team scores 20 goals but allows only 20 against

Which team has the best chance of winning every night? Which team is more exciting to watch?

One team will attract fans eager to win

The other a group out for an nights entertainment and a close game. Winning is nice but not the end all be all

There once a player that was scoring 150 to 160 points a year, his team never won anything then came a coach that taught him to be a 200' player, his scoring went down to the 110's and 120's but suddenly his team was winning and eventually won a cup or two and created a foundation that played in the playoffs for 25 year.

That was Yzerman and Demers, followed by Bowman who put Federov on defence to teach him that part of the game.

Now Hughes, no matter how much you think he is cute little cuddly bear is just that, little and he isn't handling premier forwards very well, in regular times he may have got a break every now and then but this division if fighting for bragging rights in Canada so every game is competitive.

Chatfield made the deadlines being minus 4, Hughes was minus 2 with and assit meaning he was one the ice for 3 Toronto goals, Chatfield 4 TO goals

Team that win know stopping goals is just as important, that is why some goalies make big bucks but it is the same for skaters, what the sense of having a guy score 10 goals if 20 are scored against him?

You answered this thread in your post.

"Along came a coach and taught that player the 200' game" 

Hughes is not the problem, and he is definitely untouchable on the Canucks.

The problem is coaching.

13 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

You answered this thread in your post.

"Along came a coach and taught that player the 200' game" 

Hughes is not the problem, and he is definitely untouchable on the Canucks.

The problem is coaching.

Problem is, the players are clearly in their own heads. We're better off hiring a sports psychologist to come in, than a new coach.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Getting the notion that fans in this city can't let go.

They want Gillis back.

They want Dahlen back.

Next thing you know they want Crawford back as head coach. 

Already saw some posters begging for Crow and Torts back :picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1