The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hughes do we need him, hear me out

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

19 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

On what argument?

That Benning didn't make a mistake with Dahlen. He's not in the NHL anymore and it's not Benning's fault. It's clearly there. Dahlen, mentally, wasn't fit for the NHL. The evidence is that he's not in the NHL. It's a very simple concept to grasp!

But like I said, you're not going to think that and there's no point in discussing this further with you. You strike me as someone who doesn't like evidence that goes against your favourite players. Just an honest assessment.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

42 minutes ago, The Lock said:

That Benning didn't make a mistake with Dahlen. He's not in the NHL anymore and it's not Benning's fault. It's clearly there. Dahlen, mentally, wasn't fit for the NHL. The evidence is that he's not in the NHL. It's a very simple concept to grasp!

But like I said, you're not going to think that and there's no point in discussing this further with you. You strike me as someone who doesn't like evidence that goes against your favourite players. Just an honest assessment.

And this isn't what I make my case about. 

Learn to read... 

You are arguing things that people have not said.

Thus your "learn to read" is ironic.

Then when you talk about Benning and his faults, other posters use Dahlen as evidence of  Jim not being at fault, you reply you are talking about Benning.

But so were they, thus even more irony about learn to read.

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

55 minutes ago, gurn said:

You are arguing things that people have not said.

Thus your "learn to read" is ironic.

Then when you talk about Benning and his faults, other posters use Dahlen as evidence of  Jim not being at fault, you reply you are talking about Benning.

But so were they, thus even more irony about learn to read.

Are you trolling? 

If Benning throw a player under the bus so he get hatemessages how is that about Dahlens quality as a player? It is only how Benning handle the situation. 

So why bring up Dahlen and that he play in Sweden now?  

That is a different discussion. 

If you read my posts you probably noticed, if you're not trolling of course, I don't think Dahlen should play in NA. 

In that discussion regarding Benning we agree. So why argue that bit? 

12 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

If Benning throw a player under the bus so he get hate messages

Were you sending bad e mails, because I've not heard anything about this.

13 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Dahlens quality as a player?

Proven second tier Swedish league quality.

14 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I don't think Dahlen should play in NA. 

Nice to see you are capable of changing your mind. Good on ya.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Were you sending bad e mails, because I've not heard anything about this.

If Benning did what he supposed to do this wouldn't have happened.

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/03/05/jonathan-dahlen-deletes-social-media-due-to-hateful-messages-from-canucks-fans/

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Proven second tier Swedish league quality.

Nice to see you are capable of changing your mind. Good on ya.

I didn't change my mind. 

I've discussed Bennings way in interviews when he tries to save his own face, trumpalike(if I use the name Trump this way people know nowadays what that mean :bigblush:)

The "Dahlen is suitable for NHL" was before concussions and before he was thrown out of the organisation. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

If Benning did what he supposed to do this wouldn't have happened.

https://canucksarmy.com/2019/03/05/jonathan-dahlen-deletes-social-media-due-to-hateful-messages-from-canucks-fans/

I didn't change my mind. 

I've discussed Bennings way in interviews when he tries to save his own face, trumpalike(if I use the name Trump this way people know nowadays what that mean :bigblush:)

The "Dahlen is suitable for NHL" was before concussions and before he was thrown out of the organisation. 

Mm, I thought you meant Benning received hate mail.

The stuff that Dahlen got sent I knew about. People can be very stupid and rude, anonymously.

47 minutes ago, gurn said:

Mm, I thought you meant Benning received hate mail.

The stuff that Dahlen got sent I knew about. People can be very stupid and rude, anonymously.

Yes, and this it what Benning should have avoided, hence Benning is crap at psychology or Trumplike(tries to save face while $&!#talking others)

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Yes, and this it what Benning should have avoided, hence Benning is crap at psychology or Trumplike(tries to save face while $&!#talking others)

So Benning is responsible for lunatic fans sending crap to Dahlen?

And what "   " talking? He only said the truth as he saw it, what else can anyone do?

On 2/6/2021 at 8:36 PM, Arrow 1983 said:

Did Tanev hid his flaws, I say yes.  minus 12 as of today.

Did he drop to 7th where Benning was a sucker to pick him. I say yes. If Benning had not taken him he would have drop to 8th and who knows where he would have landed

If Hughes creates 10 goals but causes 20 does the math add up. Did Tanev protect the Canucks from Hughes mistake. I say yes. Tanev is that responsible with and without the puck.

Can a small Defenseman play defense few and far between. Is Hughes one of them? I say NO.

Can Benning acquire a new Tanev. I say hell no. Benning can not make a trade for the life of this team never mind find a new Tanev. Hamonic is no Tanev

Which leads to the real question can we afford to keep Hughes as a defensive liability and at the ridiculous cost he can command. I say NO. 

Sell now well his price is high or feel the Wrath of his future contract for years to come. 

Disclaimer

I recommend you read to the the first post of the 5th page before commenting this thread was to make a point or not it is up to you

I do like to play Devil's advocate on this board sometimes. ;)  But I do think this is just too far a reach. But I appreciate the controversial topic.  Too many ninnies on here afraid to dig too deep, or even consider bold moves like this.

I did a bit of research, on NHL.com to see just how other young highly touted rookies are doing.  I was going to get a few examples of how other young stars, that are geared more for offence, are also in the minuses.  I stopped looking after 10 minutes, as I couldn 't find any.  They were all in the plus.  So you have a point there.

Now how much of that is just a bad defensive system by the coaches?  How much is a lack of talent to compliment Hughes?  (Although I do agree with you that if Hughes was a truly elite D, he would not need a clean up partner all the time).

On the other side, how much is that about his size? Can't be all about size, as Stecher had one of the best plus minus on the team last year. I believe that Hughes can get better defensively, as Stecher also improved as well.

How much is trying to do too much offensively, because of the pressure to get some wins?  He will mature and know how to pace himself as he gets more experience.

So on balance, I do not support trying to trade Hughes.  If only that the Canucks have been so woeful in amateur age drafting for decades, that when we land a star, we gotta see just what we have, ie..a few years at least. Lets see him play out his ELC first at least.

But its funny seeing the fire and  brimstone come down on you for simply suggesting a radically bold idea to contemplate.  Too rich for my blood, but as with every trade idea, it depends what you get in return.  It would have to be an absolute slam dunk. But why now? In any trade deal, it is usually the case every time, that the amount of players going one way is not how its decided who won the trade, its who got the singular best player.  One "game changer" is worth.....I don't think any amount of even serviceable scrubs would equal that, simply because there are only so many roster spots.  We must keep Hughes. What we really need is a time machine to go back and stop JB from inking all those terrible contracts. 

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

So Benning is responsible for lunatic fans sending crap to Dahlen?

And what "   " talking? He only said the truth as he saw it, what else can anyone do?

So you think all people go around and being honest all the time? 

We try to be diplomatic and nice to each other. 

The GM of every NHL team should know this.