The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What the team doesn't need is a panicked Benning trade

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

What if Shattenkirk was swapped for Seth Jones???  Could be that towering RD to maybe stabilize things for Quinn or enable him to sit on easier minutes.

Well sure but Jones is going to cost a lot more. Perhaps CBJ would only entertain the discussion if Hughes is in the starting conversation

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Maginator said:

I'm really getting a bad feeling that OJ & Virtanen will be packaged.

Id be okay with Virtanen leaving, but OJ is still so ripe.

Furthermore, replying to the OP - a trade involving OJ would be a knee jerk reaction to the bigger picture we have here in Canuck Land.

Depends on return.  They have more info on OJ then we do. We only have what we see, and rumours. Lots about players that can effect the way an organization values them never gets out...injuries etc. I've never been huge on him since his draft +1. I think he MIGHT be fine. I don't think he will be anything un-tradable. JV MIGHT be fine in another environment.  I definitely don't think he will ever work out here,  or ever be considered un- tradable ( no matter where he goes).

Edited by cuporbust
  • Cheers 1

I’ve never been a fan of Green and don’t think he’s ever had a solid defensive system. Whilst the playoffs gave us all some hope, it was on the back of Demko/Markstrom stopping almost everything they faced. This team gave up lots of shots and high quality scoring chances but they got elite goaltending. This year, they’re giving up more high quality shots and getting average goaltending. 

Markstrom was great the past two seasons and you’d assume a popular teammate but that deal is irresponsible and will hurt in the backend. Ditto Tanev. I felt Leivo had something to offer in the bottom 6 and I’d have signed him before Jake. The re-signing of Virtanen and letting Toffoli walk were two of the more bewildering moves the past off season and the Benning comment that they ran out of time is staggering given the effort he went to in order to try to sign OEL. Benning absolutely needs to be accountable for these decisions, added to the Eriksson, Beagle, Sutter & Roussel contracts. The Luongo recapture hurt him too although not of his doing but the signing of Baertschi only for him to be benched and later banished is negligent at best. If I owned this team I’d be taking the keys off Benning and not allowing any trades. 

Benning must go IMO. Green can follow him out the door too as his coaching hasn’t been able to develop an adequate defensive structure to stand up in the NHL. Who else is out there though? Boucher, Boudreau, Gallant or Babcock. I don’t know enough about the Babcock situation, only a heap of rumours but those four seem to be the best of the available experienced coaches. 

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Right now Benning is panicking and looking around desperately for some way to save his backside.

This is exactly what the organization does not need.

Having a fire sale on Virtanen and getting some throwaway player in return is not going to solve the team's problems.

This season is already in the toilet... let's not throw away the future.

What is needed:

-  Fire Green and get a decent coach in.

-  Get Tryamkin signed

-  Look for free agent defensive prospects and give give them tryouts... check Europe too.

-  Give Woo a try.

I can have Green around for some time.

He showed in parts last season that the players listened to him.

I don't like the linejuggling but if it is a way to get closer to the goal I don't mind.

Benning on the other hand... 

If JB wrecks the smart moves he made this off season for the clubs medium and long term just to save this mess .... other then a coaching change which is the last resort card any GM can use - i'm going to post a lot of retractions on patience and move to the dark side.    JB took the tough road - it only works if you stick it out.   

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I can have Green around for some time.

He showed in parts last season that the players listened to him.

I don't like the linejuggling but if it is a way to get closer to the goal I don't mind.

Benning on the other hand... 

Funny how i've read a lot of complaints that he's too stubborn and won't try enough new things - his line juggling so far hasn't come close to the Keenan spin cycle - or some other coaches we've had in the past.   For whatever reason - the couple of years this team goes hot then cold then hot then cold so maybe he's got his own washing machine technique lol.   Needs to flip the switch to the hot cycle and fast - or his days in Vancouver will be limited.   Don't mind losing - but the way we are losing is for sure concerning.   

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, cuporbust said:

Depends on return.  They have more info on OJ then we do. We only have what we see, and rumours. Lots about players that can effect the way an organization values them never gets out...injuries etc. I've never been huge on him since his draft +1. I think he MIGHT be fine. I don't think he will be anything un-tradable. JV MIGHT be fine in another environment.  I definitely don't think he will ever work out here,  or ever be considered un- tradable ( no matter where he goes).

If BB and EP didn't work out i'd have been in the Fire Benning camp awhile ago, I hated the OJ pick at the time.   He does look to have what it takes - and it's concerning that he isn't getting the minutes over Chatfield (who after last night, if OJ doesn't get slotted in will start to believe something is most definitely up - he's either on the block or he's nursing an undisclosed injury). 

OJ has been absolutely fine so far this year - plays with poise.   Scores a goal then is benched.  Figured it was just maintenance ...  there is some merit in this rumour. 

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Well sure but Jones is going to cost a lot more. Perhaps CBJ would only entertain the discussion if Hughes is in the starting conversation

That would be hard to pass on.    Based on what i've seen i'd make that trade. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

He played one game for us this year for sure ... unless your not counting that one because he was pretty bad - although agree might as well give him more reps - could have just been nerves. 

apparently he got an assist but was minus 1    probably on of the games i turned off cuz it was garbage 

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Right now Benning is panicking and looking around desperately for some way to save his backside.

This is exactly what the organization does not need.

Look around, nothing happening. If Benning could have saved his job he would have done something before now.

Forget firing the coach, this team as constructed was never for this kind of intense competition, it was to fill the arena with competitive games, to be entertaining with just enough star power, real or exaggerated, to distract from the major flaws on the team.

Buying out Tryamkin's contract and bringing him over might not salvage the team now, not that he is Moses or anything, just a solid top four defenceman that might, just might be good enough to make up for Hughes defensive ineptitude.

If ownership takes a hand, then that tells fans change is coming and there is light at the end of this well. It might even give a spark to the players knowing that things can change.

3 more losses pretty much does it, even a record of 5 and 5 finishes the season, Tryamkin's appearance if that close might stop enough goals to make difference.

Really there is not much house cleaning left, Benning and Wiesbrod and then let Gear run the day to day while taking time to select the right GM and let Green carry a little more decision weight, like AV used to until he took advantage of his power and traded for Kassian.

Don't even have to fire Benning, just promote him to President and shuffle him off to oneside

I wouldn’t mind Benning looking for a package involving Virtanen to try to find a defensively sound player that could fit in well with Hughes. Other than that, I would fire Green before considering any trades really. This team clearly doesn’t want to play for him. I don’t think this team needs trades, they need motivation and direction. It’s too talented a roster to be this bad. 

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

If BB and EP didn't work out i'd have been in the Fire Benning camp awhile ago, I hated the OJ pick at the time.   He does look to have what it takes - and it's concerning that he isn't getting the minutes over Chatfield (who after last night, if OJ doesn't get slotted in will start to believe something is most definitely up - he's either on the block or he's nursing an undisclosed injury). 

OJ has been absolutely fine so far this year - plays with poise.   Scores a goal then is benched.  Figured it was just maintenance ...  there is some merit in this rumour. 

The OJ thing, he is listed way to light, like he is 20 lbs under weight. You know my thoughts on him, they have never changed, a blown pick but this D is so bad he wasn't outstanding or I mean obviously really bad.

Chatfiled is much faster though

You can’t sign Tryamkin this season, he is under contract on the KHL and when that is done he won’t be eligible to play.

Fire the GM and Weisbrod so they can’t make any bad decisions and let the replacement have a few weeks before the trade deadline to assess the team and make moves.

He can pick his own coach if he doesn’t like what he sees from Green.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

everything we see, management and coaches see. they are trying to right the ship. fans give up on the team way to easy. they lack confidence from playing montreal and toronto. both of those teams are way ahead of them. there is a problem but it is the whole team. myers, edler, schmidt, hughes, chatfield, petey, boeser, horvat, miller motte, beagle, sutter, gaudette, benn, pearson and the goalies have given the puck away several times. if your playing in a game and you give the puck away, is that the coaches fault? is somehow, the gm to blame? they have leadership, the leaders don't forget how to lead from one year to the next.

are the players giving the game everything they got? i don't know but i'm sure the team does.

let's face it, the players we count on most are looking very ordinary.

without being with the team at all times, i for one can't tell you if the team needs a different coach or players.

i'll watch to see them put it together without the fans help.

• Cheers 3

The Canucks could look to move Virtanen as a short-term shakeup

Sportsnet: Chris Johnston when asked what he’s hearing with the Vancouver Canucks as they continue to struggle.

“Well on top of all that, they’ve got a game every other day it seems like. They’ve had a number of back-to-backs. I mean, the pressure is obviously mounting here and the heat is being turned up.

What I can tell you from an number of conversations in the last day or two is, there is a lot of ideas out there of what they may or may not do, but this is a challenging season to shake things up for a number of reasons.

The one thing I do wonder about is if Jake Virtanen is someone they end up giving a fresh start too. He’s had a tough start to the year. He’s been in and out of the lineup. He’s scratched tonight in Toronto. Maybe there is a feeling that, that could be a short-term move that might shock their group a little bit and might be something that suits the player and the organization as well.”