The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Canucks coaching staff survive the season?

Rate this topic

Ms.Glitter

Who should be the new coach or GM?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi guys, seeing as we are on a downturn in on-ice performance, the players are underperforming and seem unhappy.

Are we looking at a management group or coach that has lost the room?

Will Aquilini and co. make a change? or wait until the off-season?

Let's hear from you! take it way Canuck Nation...

Peace and Love

Edited by Ms.Glitter
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Ms.Glitter said:

Hi guys, seeing as we are on a downturn in on-ice performance, the players are underperforming and seem unhappy.

Are we looking at a management group or coach that has lost the room?

Will Aquilini and co. make a change? or wait until the off-season?

Let's hear from you! take it way Canuck Nation...

Peace and Love

I think a change in the coaching staff will happen, although I have no idea when they'll have time to send in a new coach during the quarantine. I'd really like to see a fresh voice behind the bench.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I think a change in the coaching staff will happen, although I have no idea when they'll have time to send in a new coach during the quarantine. I'd really like to see a fresh voice behind the bench.

It’s likely the moves would have to happen behind the scenes weeks before a firing.

Its possible a search has already started for all we know. I mean if they don’t plan on re-signing Green might as well get your new coach in now. At least you get a chance to salvage the season or get a jump start on next season if things continue l.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

It’s likely the moves would have to happen behind the scenes weeks before a firing.

Its possible a search has already started for all we know. I mean if they don’t plan on re-signing Green might as well get your new coach in now. At least you get a chance to salvage the season or get a jump start on next season if things continue l.

I do think Green is on his way out because they havent extended his contracts and the way this season is going and how players are reacting to blowout games, it just seems the players are tuning out the coach. Its very weird to see a team not give 100% effort after multiple blow out losses which usually is a sign of players not playing for the coach or not buying into the system. I do see Green's days numbered, the question is not if but when?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

I really hope they pick a veteran coach this time and not another NHL Newbie. We have already gone through Willie D and Green being beginners. So I think its imperative to get an experienced coach like Gallant or Boudreau. I dont know how Babcock will be like, used to be a good coach during his time with the Wings but with how he coached the Leafs and his reputation around the league I would be a bit hesitant to hire him.

Agreed. I don't want another toxic coach. Boudreau will be an interesting hire honestly. I think if they fire everyone, the coach will want to hire new assistants, so it's possible they'll wait until the end of the season for this entire purge.

I think if things keep going the way they are, sure. Green might get fired at this point. However, I also think if it gets turned around he could still save his job. I said about a week or 2 ago that the season could have less firings in general (and I stand by that); however, I can't exactly deny the lack of what we have at the moment either. I didn't anticipate this previous week happening.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I think if things keep going the way they are, sure. Green might get fired at this point. However, I also think if it gets turned around he could still save his job. I said about a week or 2 ago that the season could have less firings in general (and I stand by that); however, I can't exactly deny the lack of what we have at the moment either. I didn't anticipate this previous week happening.

I always saw Green as a temporary coach, a coach that would develop our young players and give them time to grow. I dont see him as a coach to take our team to the cup. One of the problems I see when I compare Green with a coach like AV is the fact he can not adjust his line or change strategies during games. He usually sticks to his game plan throughout the game. He rarely uses timeouts, and the only time I saw him use the timeout was when we were down 6-1 and already had lost the game. What I like about Green is the fact that he gives our young players opportunity to play and make mistakes. Although at some point the Canucks need a cup winning coach or a coach that knows what to do in big games.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

If no change happens it is by design, meaning what kind of team they have iced for this season cellar dwellers roster

if they do change it’s going to be a s?&$ show to hire before they fire due to quarantining for 14 days, and they would have to be very careful not to have it leaked to the media beforehand

well, I will say if these blow out losses keep piling up, they will have no choice but to change the coach just for the sake of players. You dont want to destroy the confidence of young players by keeping the status quo. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

I always saw Green as a temporary coach, a coach that would develop our young players and give them time to grow. I dont see him as a coach to take our team to the cup. One of the problems I see when I compare Green with a coach like AV is the fact he can not adjust his line or change strategies during games. He usually sticks to his game plan throughout the game. He rarely uses timeouts, and the only time I saw him use the timeout was when we were down 6-1 and already had lost the game. What I like about Green is the fact that he gives our young players opportunity to play and make mistakes. Although at some point the Canucks need a cup winning coach or a coach that knows what to do in big games.

It's funny you mention AV. I remember countless people complaining about AV's use of lineups. Sometimes he'd juggle. Sometimes he wouldn't at all. With AV, it was hard for new players to get into the lineup at all. It's what ultimately led to trading away players like Grabner.

I guess my question is is line juggling really what's going to put us over the top or is it more strategy that's not working for us at the moment? Ultimately, we're scoring. We're just getting scored on a lot more. I picture line juggling as something you do to try and score more, which I don't think is our problem at the moment.

• Huggy Bear 1

I do like the idea of Craig Button being the GM .. for one he wouldn't have drafted Virtanen :lol:

As for Green it depends. If let's say Benning is fired, perhaps the new GM would want to extend and keep Green. Just like when Gillis kept AV.

Though Gallant as a coach is tempting. But I find it strange he keeps getting fired in his 3rd season even if the team isn't playing so bad

Edited by iinatcc
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, iinatcc said:

I do like the idea of Craig Button being the GM .. for one he wouldn't have drafted Virtanen :lol:

As for Green it depends. If let's say Benning is fired, perhaps the new GM would want to extend and keep Green. Just like when Gillis kept AV 

The question is do the Aquilinis really wanna pay two GMs next season? Probably not.

My guess is Benning gets one more season with a new coach before his fate is determined. His drafting has earned him enough good will IMO. We’re going to need to continuing to add those good first round picks to fill out the roster.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

The question is do the Aquilinis really wanna pay two GMs next season? Probably not.

My guess is Benning gets one more season with a new coach before his fate is determined. His drafting has earned him enough good will IMO. We’re going to need to continuing to add those good first round picks to fill out the roster.

Yeah most GM's generally get to fire the coach first and WD was fired too long ago for that to really be an excuse at this point. I think Benning gets to try a new coach first before his position should be considered to be in jeopardy. 

Just now, The Lock said:

Yeah most GM's generally get to fire the coach first and WD was fired too long ago for that to really be an excuse at this point. I think Benning gets to try a new coach first before his position should be considered to be in jeopardy. 

Agreed.

I’m sure ownership has appreciated being able to tout three consecutive Calder nominee rookies with a fourth and potentially 5th on the horizon.

Benning has at least produced in his area of expertise. He just needs to stay away from the inflated UFA contracts from now on. He does that and he’s good.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Agreed.

I’m sure ownership has appreciated being able to tout three consecutive Calder nominee rookies with a fourth and potentially 5th on the horizon.

Benning has at least produced in his area of expertise. He just needs to stay away from the inflated UFA contracts from now on. He does that and he’s good.

To be fair, since Beagle and Roussel, he hasn't really overpaid. You could argue Myers I guess but Myers was offered more elsewhere and chose us which I'd argue is not the same as Beagle or Roussel or Eriksson.

• Like 1

Green was a good coach for this team when we we're going through the growing pains of the rebuild inserting youth into the lineup. But now that our club looks ready to take the next step, I don't think he is the right coach to take group to the next level. 

the thing that made AV successful here was he was he was able to coach a stingy defensive system then transitioned to a more offensive system when the guys matured. 

I'm seeing Petey kinda  plateauing this season, same with Hughes. I don't know if coaching has anything to do with that but Petey has lost some of his killer instinct. Rookie Petey was an offensive threat whenever he stepped on the ice, but now he's more concerned about his defence than being a finisher these days. 

We've got some of the best young players in the league but I don't think their skills are being utilized properly with Green's system. 

Look at Schmidt for example, the Schmidt in Vegas was a totally different defenceman than the one playing under Green. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1