The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Canucks coaching staff survive the season?

Rate this topic

Ms.Glitter

Who should be the new coach or GM?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for Gillis in the polls too.. lol I wonder if the Aquailinis would welcome him back to fix the cap or has that bridge been burnt? 

I was a Gillis hater lol but one thing you couldn't deny was his teams were tough to play against. 

Alberts, Torres, Lappy, Rome, Ballard, Hamhuis etc. I wish we had half of the toughness the 2011 team had. :(

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The question is do the Aquilinis really wanna pay two GMs next season? Probably not.

My guess is Benning gets one more season with a new coach before his fate is determined. His drafting has earned him enough good will IMO. We’re going to need to continuing to add those good first round picks to fill out the roster.

been saving coin not having a president...I am sure a Billionaire would be fine. 

Oh add to the fact they got a 33M handout from the NHL AND will be getting another big chunk from the Seattle expansion. I have 0 pitty towards our  Billionaire owner, he has money and can afford to hire and fire staff whenever.

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

been saving coin not having a president...I am sure a Billionaire would be fine. 

Oh add to the fact they got a 33M handout from the NHL AND will be getting another big chunk from the Seattle expansion. I have 0 pitty towards our  Billionaire owner, he has money and can afford to hire and fire staff whenever.

Well, it's not really going to matter how much pitty you have towards them. It's not exactly going to be what their decision is based on now is it? lol

A billionaire isn't necessarily going to look at that 33M and say "I can pay for 2 GM's now". It's not even taking into consideration all of the other costs and losses that are currently happening.

Well for starters, I think the reason Green hasn’t been given an extension yet should be pretty apparent. To replace him we need a coach who actually has significant experience and not another rookie. As for GM’s Hextall and Futa are the only ones I can think of who would be good options so I’d have to do some research.

• Like 1

Just now, YEGCanuck said:

A coaching change during the season seldom brings the desired outcome. That being said I would be in favour of hiring Gallant before the Kraken.

Actually, 2 of the last cup winners in the last 5 years were done by "interim coaches": Sullivan in Pittsburgh and Berube in St. Louis. I'm not saying we'd win the cup here or anything (and there are certainly situations where it did nothing), but there is a chance that it could light something up. Even just a strategy shift could help.

Or it might not do anything. We don't really know.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, YEGCanuck said:

A coaching change during the season seldom brings the desired outcome. That being said I would be in favour of hiring Gallant before the Kraken.

Yes good point, I think we need to hire Gallant before Seattle or someone else does.  He's coaching the upbeat style we are looking to play and will surely get a lot more out of Schmidt and some of our other talented players.   Our roster is not a good fit for Green's 'dump and chase'   We should be using our talent much more effectively.

We need an experienced coach to take this group to the next level.  

Edited by Ms.Glitter
  • Like 1

Florida's GM at the time was a moron letting Gallant go.

However, when Vegas turfs him at the first chance they get. Sorry guys, that's a red flag. 

It's not like he was doing horrible either.  A four game losing streak and you fire the coach? And he was 5 games above .500? 

Sorry, something's wrong there. And If I was the GM I'd do my due diligence before hiring him. 

I'd take a risk and hire Scott Niedermayer or Willie Mitchell, because at least they can teach and preach defence and positioning. 

Manny Malhotra would be a rookie choice, but he's smart and played the game right his whole career.He was popular amongst the players here.I think he is going to be a great Head coach at some point and this may be a chance to snag him back!!

Edited by goog16

21 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Well, it's not really going to matter how much pitty you have towards them. It's not exactly going to be what their decision is based on now is it? lol

A billionaire isn't necessarily going to look at that 33M and say "I can pay for 2 GM's now". It's not even taking into consideration all of the other costs and losses that are currently happening.

I do NOT feel sorry for a Billionaire losing money for 1.5 seasons during a pandemic when people lost jobs permanently or temporarily due to the same pandemic.

They are also making $ of every Canuck item sold...the new Sprite jersey for instance.

I will never feel sorry for a Billionaire who had enough $$$$ that they could go and afford to buy a Sports team

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

I do NOT feel sorry for a Billionaire losing money for 1.5 seasons during a pandemic when people lost jobs permanently or temporarily due to the same pandemic.

They are also making $ of every Canuck item sold...the new Sprite jersey for instance.

I will never feel sorry for a Billionaire who had enough $$$$ that they could go and afford to buy a Sports team

I stand by why I said. lol They're not really going to care about what you think. They're still going to budget.

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

They are already at odds with each other from what went on last game

if they keep getting lit up the GM will be Aquilini for the remaining part of the season

Yeah right now its at a critical point in the season where something has to give. Sitting back and doing nothing would be more damaging in the long run. I really dont want that losing culture to become a normal thing with this team like what the Oilers have gone through.

14 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

It doesnt matter how you feel but Aquaman is not going to waste money on a losing product and he will not keep Benning if he doesnt show results soon. He has been our GM for 7 years so he will not be so patient with him. We have had our fair share of being basement dwellers and now we should be improving year to year or at least trying to improve the team, not go backwards because of Bennings mistakes which is costing Aquaman money. Now the fans dont care about the owners money since it is not their own money but owners do care, especially if it is someone else wasting their money.

45 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The mistake Benning has made is hitching his horse to back to back rookie coaches. Also some questionable contracts seemingly trying to rush the rebuild.

Agreed with you about the coaches but strongly disagree with regards to the rebuild.  Those “questionable” contracts were signed as a way of insulating the kids in the system who weren’t ready for those roles.   The presence of those vets helped the kids play in roles that were more suitable to their games.  

For example - signing Ryan Miller allowing for Markstrom to develop longer in the minors, or signing guys like Schaller, Roussel, and Beagle so that guys like MacEwen and Gaudette could develop a little more.    

People also underestimate as to just how shockingly bad our organizational right side depth on RD really was.  Hence, the decision not to trade Tanev in 2016, the calculated gamble on the Gudbranson trade, and signing Tyler Myers.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1