The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will Canucks coaching staff survive the season?

Rate this topic

Ms.Glitter

Who should be the new coach or GM?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Edler, Myers, Roussel and Jake are our tough players? That is the big problem because they are rarely hitting much and Myers takes bad penalties. Another problem is these players have played inconsistent and couple of them have been getting scratched.

Thats my point, all have played a more aggressive game and now they don't. Did they all get together and decide they were going to take that out of their game? Green only scratches these type of players. Some players have played atrocious and are immune to the bench. Miller was brutal last game, and Holtby can attest to it, yet he continued to play on like nothing even happened. 

11 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Am just wondering what is wrong with Miller? He has been really pouty these last few games like someone broke up with him or something. This is not normal at all and needs to be addressed.

Maybe his family stayed back and didn't come to Vancouver? He has seemed to be very unhappy this season...polar opposite to how he was last year, yet still producing offensively at least.

There is a three day break coming up after next game, with a small homestand. I could easily see Green and/or Benning firing some assistants, if for no other reason that to try and cover their own a**. Unless this team shows that they at least care, I can't see ownership sticking with them going into next season, especially if fans are going to be allowed. Too much money to be lost in sticking with a coach and a GM that the fans are starting to want to burn in effigy. And a new GM will have no ties to certain players, such as Virt. I'd further say this is Virtanen's last season in Vancouver...unless the lights suddenly come on and he ends up scoring 20 goals this year.

Gerard Gallant gets fired a lot , he has a 2 year shelf life anywhere he goes, Vegas felt they were so badly out coached by SanJose they upgraded to Deboer. I don’t think he’s the answer. He would make a decent  temporary replacement if Vancouver wanted to salvage the season . Stay clear of Babcock ,

Boudreau maybe , Larionov would be a pipe dream , Crawford is not a long term solution, Malholtra would be a good assistant, the offseason might be a better time to find a long term solution. Maybe old Ken Hitchcock could also be an option to finish the season for us.

one thing for sure is Green has to go.

Benning has improved the team since he took over, all the hate is unfounded. 

30 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Gerard Gallant gets fired a lot , he has a 2 year shelf life anywhere he goes, Vegas felt they were so badly out coached by SanJose they upgraded to Deboer. I don’t think he’s the answer. He would make a decent  temporary replacement if Vancouver wanted to salvage the season . Stay clear of Babcock ,

Boudreau maybe , Larionov would be a pipe dream , Crawford is not a long term solution, Malholtra would be a good assistant, the offseason might be a better time to find a long term solution. Maybe old Ken Hitchcock could also be an option to finish the season for us.

one thing for sure is Green has to go.

Benning has improved the team since he took over, all the hate is unfounded. 

I kind of wonder actually if there's any particular reason why Gallant only has that 2 years shelf live. Is it just bad luck or is there a style to his game that causes that to happen?

(I'm not expecting anyone to have that answer I'm more thinking out loud lol)

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I kind of wonder actually if there's any particular reason why Gallant only has that 2 years shelf live. Is it just bad luck or is there a style to his game that causes that to happen?

(I'm not expecting anyone to have that answer I'm more thinking out loud lol)

I kinda think where there is smoke there’s fire, he wasn’t bad in Vegas and I thought they canned him so soon... or is there more to the story

3 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Am just wondering what is wrong with Miller? He has been really pouty these last few games like someone broke up with him or something. This is not normal at all and needs to be addressed.

Something happened behind the scenes in the locker room or with family. We can only guess and that leads to "Kesler F'd Schneiderz wife".

So it's better to leave it alone.

Edited by playboi19

3 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

I kinda think where there is smoke there’s fire, he wasn’t bad in Vegas and I thought they canned him so soon... or is there more to the story

Maybe, but also sometimes where there's smoke it turns out to just be fog. The fire seems to be more to do with the circumstances each time than actually with Gallant himself. Tallon seemed to want to "spice things up" in Florida and Vegas had not even a 5 minute meltdown in a playoff game. Are either of those coach related? Like how does a coach magically motivate a team within a couple of minutes to prevent a meltdown? lol

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Maybe, but also sometimes where there's smoke it turns out to just be fog. The fire seems to be more to do with the circumstances each time than actually with Gallant himself. Tallon seemed to want to "spice things up" in Florida and Vegas had not even a 5 minute meltdown in a playoff game. Are either of those coach related? Like how does a coach magically motivate a team within a couple of minutes to prevent a meltdown? lol

I hear you there both firings really surprised me but the Vegas one especially so. It has always made me wonder if ther is more to the story than what we know.

1 minute ago, Westcoasting said:

I hear you there both firings really surprised me but the Vegas one especially so. It has always made me wonder if ther is more to the story than what we know.

I almost feel like, if there was something else to it, we'd hear about it sometime after the fact like we do a lot of things. It's for that reason why I kind of just take it at face value. Granted, if something did happen, Gallant still needs to find a job so it could be hush hush to allow him to do so, but I really just think it's wrong place wrong time.

'Keep' / bring back Linden.  Apologize if necessary.  Give him more money.  Don't reneg on his complete jurisdiction over hockey decisions.

Keep Benning and Green

Keep Malhotra.  Meh, realistically, 'we' probably have to 'free Manny' - he's a head coach in the near future imo. 

Keep Tanev.:ph34r:

I like some of Green's coaching but please no more Erickson...We play with not grit and we sit McEwen come on he adds grit and toughness that we don't play with..

I am starting to feel we need a coaching change and Green is not signed after this season ..

I am a big Gallant fan..

We need to make change, next 6 not easier..Tor -- Calgary  4 games - Jets 2 then oilers... Next 7 games tough

Predict Benning moves into  senior advisor role..

New GM -- after season is over -- Benning moves into new role in July

New Coach by next weekend....

I honestly feel we have better defence then last year  ..

Schmidt top end D Man - Have not noticed

Hamonic #3 D man - Hurt after 2 games

Goalies - Playing average -- Should be better

Defence -  C -   -- Should be B under achieving 

Forwards --  C-    --- Under achieving........ 

Team not playing as 5 man unit - Poor coverage, no urgency,  no grit...

Please no Erickson he needs to be in Utica maybe he will retire riding a bus..

Edited by wildcam

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Thats my point, all have played a more aggressive game and now they don't. Did they all get together and decide they were going to take that out of their game? Green only scratches these type of players. Some players have played atrocious and are immune to the bench. Miller was brutal last game, and Holtby can attest to it, yet he continued to play on like nothing even happened. 

Yeah, does seem to have his favorites and the usual suspects to be benched.   Most of the D core had struggled and perhaps benching one of the veterans might send the right message that no one is untouchable...

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Like 1

I picked Hextall for GM however I don't think JB needs to be replaced I think he needs help. Trevor wasn't the right guy for prez. The team needs someone to help with contract negotiations and signings. MG/Lawrence Gillman someone of that ilk. JB is a solid contractor but he's no interior designer. 

I also don't think Green is to blame here this team is young and its pretty hard to coach when we have played a 3rd more games than the league average. 

Benching guys who can actually become NHL players in favour of a $6 million piece of trash who doesn't even pretend to put in an honest effort was the last straw for me.  Green should have been fired on the spot for even considering icing the useless piece of **** who wears #21.  The team has clearly quit on him and it's no surprise when he rewards one of the laziest players in the history of the franchise with yet more unearned icetime.  He seems to be protecting his 2 assistants as well, neither of whom are qualified to coach at the ECHL level.  The nepotism has to end.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Upvote 1

Have to wonder if Benning would still have a job if there were fans in the stands this season?

It took one “fire Gillis” chant to end MG. By the next day, our reactive ownership had decided that Gillis was done.

One bad season, and they fired the GM who built the greatest contender in Canucks history. 6 seasons, 5 division titles, 2 Presidents’ trophies, 10 playoff rounds, and one trip to game seven of the SCF.

It took one bad season and a fan chant, and Mike Gillis was fired.

Benning has done some good things. I freely admit, I’ve never been a huge JB fan, but I’ve also never been a “hater.” I’d like to think I’m pretty fair in giving credit where it’s due, when it comes to JB. But when I look back over the totality of his record with the Canucks, I can’t help but think that he’s done far more things that would get the average NHL GM canned, and several times over during his tenure, than Gillis ever did in one failed season (when ownership installed Torts, reportedly against the wishes of their GM, and the new coach ended up burning the team to the ground in a single season).

JB really seems to have more lives than a cat. 

(Wonder if Benning knows where the Aquilinis bury the bodies of their undocumented blueberry pickers? :ph34r:)

But even with the mysteriously blessed existence JB has enjoyed, when it comes to his job security as the GM in Vancouver, I really have to wonder how the owners would react if the struggles this season led to “fire Benning” chants from the fans?

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 3

Everything I've read on this forum seems to lead directly to Gillis in one way or another.

Same argument about why Green is so good is what made Gillis good.

The stage is set with a brilliant core to let Gillis come back, older and wiser.

I don't bother with the Benning apologisers on this forum. They are either stupid or paid. 

They can also be damaged goods after some time at HF :bigblush:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Laughable that people think Mike Gillis is the right GM for us right now...Gillis was good at 2 things, giving NTC to many players and trading away lots of picks and the picks he had never panned out.

We would take 3 steps back bringing in Gillis, I would much rather bring Burke back before Gillis.

Dude hasn't even been in hockey since he left.

It was a good call to let him go.