The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

^weird comment.  Toronto is a lovely place.

Anyways, we'll probably lose like 6-3 or 7-2.  As I have said all along, this team is finished.  "Marquee signing" Jayce Hawrlyuk has yet to sniff the ice, meanwhile, 700k signings everywhere else are making the difference.  Makes you wonder...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 3

Toronto has our number, Montreal has our number, Calgary has our number, Edmonton us our number, Winnipeg will win next time we play them, Ottawa? Clearly the only team we can match up against. Players have given up on management and anyone who doesn’t see that is blind. This isn’t a simple “we’re not playing hard enough”, this is something much bigger. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

^weird comment.  Toronto is a lovely place.

Anyways, we'll probably lose like 6-3 or 7-2.  As I have said all along, this team is finished.  "Marquee signing" Jayce Hawrlyuk has yet to sniff the ice, meanwhile, 700k signings everywhere else are making the difference.  Makes you wonder...

Edler having a pathetic season but Juolevi has been in the pressbox something like 5 or 6 consecutive games smfh 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

let the PGT continue...

Was today's practice an easy one or did the coaches make em work hard after showing no effort last night!?

shot attempts were 57-52.  I have to wonder if 'effort' was the issue.

Last year's bubble playoffs imo were conducive to a young team like Vancouver.   It was a good opportuity to rest before the playoffs, not enter them after a gruelling/grind season - and then it was also in one place - without the travel (that also typically disadvantages the team due to simple geographics) -and the ability to spend lots of time working/coaching/practicing together.

This year - is the opposite imo.   No preparation / camp / preseason - next to no time to practice or rest in schedule...(15 games already = absurd).

I think this season serves the veteran, proven franchises (ie Tampa, St Louis, Boston)...and the pond-hockey franchises - ie the Leafs - whose 'score-all-the-goalz' build allows them to exploit the relatively unstructured nature of most games thus far.  That said - they tend to be November/December 'champions' regardless - who flag around playoff time....I like some of their depth, but I'm not convinced they have the right kind of depth to win playoff hockey (I think they'd be an outlier - which there have been cases of, but generally, championships go to two-way hockey teams).  When it comes to the next step - unless Malhotra works some quick miracles, I'm not sure I like their chances that much more than in the past. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

Toronto has our number, Montreal has our number, Calgary has our number, Edmonton us our number, Winnipeg will win next time we play them, Ottawa? Clearly the only team we can match up against. Players have given up on management and anyone who doesn’t see that is blind. This isn’t a simple “we’re not playing hard enough”, this is something much bigger. 

Well except that it is sports.  The team won't lose every game going forward.

They are 6 and 9 with 41 games left to play.  They will win somewhere between 12 and 24 of those remaining games - meaning they wind up the season with somewhere between 18 and 30 wins.  If it is 18 they will be near the bottom of the division.  If it is 30 they will be in a playoff spot.

So don't forget that things turn in a season. Even when they look dire.  If you remind yourself of this perspective it makes the watching a little easier to take when they lay an egg lol.