The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

You got to be kidding.

LOL I'm a pretty big fan. 

I was pissed at the Erikson signing, and some of the vets like Sutter, Rousel, Beagle but he's hit home runs at the draft and when you look at the big picture, we have a tremendously talented young core, all the garbage contracts are expiring in 1-2 years and will have tons of cap space

I think in 2 years, we'll be a contender. Did you expect us to win the cup this season? 

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, Krinjer33 said:

Isn’t this exactly what happened to Colorado? 
They were good for one season then terrible the next, but look where they are at now.
I don’t want the team to tank, but this might be the right year to stay the course and finish with a high draft pick instead of making some rash decisions to fix a struggling team. 

There's no rash decisions to make regardless, outside of something completely bone-headed like trading a good young player for immediate help. 

It's too bad this isn't a 'better' draft, but there are alot of defensemen at the top. 

13 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

JB has not done a good job. He’s handcuffed the team with $&!# contracts. 

That's what I used to say and it's in fact true. He's handcuffed himself and missed out on Toffoli. 

But that's it. I wouldn't have re-signed tanev or markstrom to those terms.

You think Tony Stecher would fix our problems right now? 

The problem of capspace has been exposed because our youth got so good so fast. My guess was that Benning was expecting our young guys to peak as the vet contacts were expiring. Sounds like a double edge sword...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, rychicken said:

that doesn't negate the post you quoted.....TM is not worth 6 mil....he is not worth half of that

He's not worth 3m... 

One could argue, is he worth 4.5 to 5...

He's the least of our contract problems when we have

Baerstchi, Luongo and Eriksson, Ferland being paid to not play. At least Ferland has ltir 

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL I'm a pretty big fan. 

I was pissed at the Erikson signing, and some of the vets like Sutter, Rousel, Beagle but he's hit home runs at the draft and when you look at the big picture, we have a tremendously talented young core, all the garbage contracts are expiring in 1-2 years and will have tons of cap space

I think in 2 years, we'll be a contender. Did you expect us to win the cup this season? 

In 2 years time that will be year 9 for JB and quite honestly, until this team can start icing legitimate NHL defenceman, which JB has neglected to address in his first 7 years at the helm, I don't see this team being any more of a contender than what we see seeing right now. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Baerstchi, Luongo and Eriksson, Ferland being paid to not play. At least Ferland has ltir 

Ferland is collecting his full salary from the Canucks because Benning signed a contract the insurance doctors would not clear due to concussion symptoms.

The LTIR only means his salary is not counted in the cap, but it costs hard cash to replace him because to that blunder.

• Sad 1