The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

And another that JB just let walk .....Fantenberg.  Who is doing just fine in Podz KHL team with 6 assists and a  + 19 rating.  He didn't excite me in last years regular season (- 10), but played well in the playoffs, dependable and physical 

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, Pickly said:

In 2 years time that will be year 9 for JB and quite honestly, until this team can start icing legitimate NHL defenceman, which JB has neglected to address in his first 7 years at the helm, I don't see this team being any more of a contender than what we see seeing right now. 

In 16 years it will be year 25 for Benning, hey math is cool.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

That's what I used to say and it's in fact true. He's handcuffed himself and missed out on Toffoli. 

But that's it. I wouldn't have re-signed tanev or markstrom to those terms.

You think Tony Stecher would fix our problems right now? 

The problem of capspace has been exposed because our youth got so good so fast. My guess was that Benning was expecting our young guys to peak as the vet contacts were expiring. Sounds like a double edge sword...

Yep, don't get your bees in a bonnet quite yet lasses.

20 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

That's what I used to say and it's in fact true. He's handcuffed himself and missed out on Toffoli. 

But that's it. I wouldn't have re-signed tanev or markstrom to those terms.

You think Tony Stecher would fix our problems right now? 

The problem of capspace has been exposed because our youth got so good so fast. My guess was that Benning was expecting our young guys to peak as the vet contacts were expiring. Sounds like a double edge sword...

No management tried to shortcut our rebuild and shot himself in the foot. We just stepped back a few years. And now a 99% chance Benning is out of a job. 

3 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Ferland is collecting his full salary from the Canucks because Benning signed a contract the insurance doctors would not clear due to concussion symptoms.

The LTIR only means his salary is not counted in the cap, but it costs hard cash to replace him because to that blunder.

As cold as it seems to the aqualini family, I only care about cap space as that's what effects overall team product and we have amazing owners that spend to the cap. In support, I will continue buying Canucks merchandise 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Its because we have been at it much longer.

Benning has been at the helm for 7 years,  SEVEN. And there is so much dead money, colorado and Winnipeg arent cap teams or at least werent at those times you mentioned.

Fire them all. We are so close,  just need some fresh minds and eyes in management and coaching staff. 

You make it sound like Benning has had 7 full seasons at the helm. To be fair, he was hired in May of 2014, just under 7 years ago and he is headed into his 6th full season as GM. I don't know if firing everyone is the solution. as @CanucksJay mentioned, in 1 - 2 years we will lose those bad contracts and dead money. This team has a great young core that needs to mature, 2 years with anyone as GM or coach and they will be on their way up.

1 minute ago, xereau said:

If Toffoli wanted to be in Van, he would be in Van. The fact he isn't is used by those intent on sowing discord in this team's management. Toffoli played on a jr Habs team as a kid, his whole family are Habs fans, and yet we are expected to sit here and choke back the made up lie that Benning somehow &^@#ed up. I won't swallow it, because it's absolute crap. Of course Toffoli said he "wanted to play here this season", because in this PC culture, he, and every single other player would say the same bloody thing.

I'm of this mind as well. If you want to play somewhere you won't put a timer on when to get signed. I understand wanting to know where you're going to play but if you really want to stay somewhere you will hang around until management can sort out the pocket book to sign you.  I think it was more "it would be fun to stay here but I want my contact signed and they are already offering me one so.." 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, Pickly said:

In 2 years time that will be year 9 for JB and quite honestly, until this team can start icing legitimate NHL defenceman, which JB has neglected to address in his first 7 years at the helm, I don't see this team being any more of a contender than what we see seeing right now. 

Hughes was a Calder finalist 

Edler is a solid dman (top 4)

Schmidt was supposed to be a top 2

Myers is a top 4-5 dman

Hamonic should easily be a 3rd pairing dman

Juolevi and Chatfield look good and we have Rathbone in the mix. 

The players are underperforming so. Why are we blaming JB? 

Coming into this season, I was excited because I thought our defense was upgraded from last year. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

While the article looks interesting, does the dummy actually think that giving the Aquilini family an ultimatum of “owing up to it or selling the team” makes sense?

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Like 3