The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 minute ago, igorwasgreat said:

Hypothetically, if the team continues this trajectory, and there is a Coaching change.Would it be wise to hang onto JV and give a new coach a shot at elevating him to a regular spot on the team. Maybe it’s the coaching style that hasn’t gotten through.

nope. Jake needs to get away from his hometown....live in another place, away from everything his familiar with

He will then make good choices, or not so good choices....

1 hour ago, Canucks-12 said:

Think Green has given up on this group. 

Green is perhaps a better coach than given credit for.

But to be honest, it's hard not to think what could a veteran high-profile head coach like Boudreau, Quinville, Gallant, Trotz or Bylsma have achieved with this core. (or will achieve)

Edited by 1-d

32 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

The coach can't play for the players. But what can he do? He can observe what is going on and get his players together to coach them and turn around the direction of the game.

Tonight's game came down to two plays.  Mathews schooled beagle on a draw and it wound up in the net.  Next shift the Canucks looked rattle and a goal goes in within 30 seconds.  Game.

So what could Green have done?

Maybe the matchup Beagle vs Mathews maybe not since its a road game. If he couldn't change at least he could see what happened and realize it was a momentum changer.

And for sure the next shift.  Take a time out and talk about how momentum just changed. Settle them down. Get them refocused.  FFS the Canucks had dominated the game to that point.  A peewee coach could see that momentum was changed  by a goal off a draw and a timeout would help.

But no. never. Don't talk Green don't coach just prepare your post game excuses.

Blah.

You're trying too hard.   To reduce every micro incident to a fault of Green's.

There was no problem with a 'matchup'.   You have one of the league's best faceoff guys and defensive centers on the ice.  Matthews found a high seam - it's not even evident whose 'fault' that was.  Nothing there whatsoever to pin on Green.

Hughes with a braincramp giveaway - which you're unable/unwilling to name - becomes a Green failure to call a timeout in your mind.

You're stuck in spin - a blame spin - that prevents you from looking analytically at what is happening on the ice.

No - a coach can't win a faceoff - or make a first pass.

They can only put their team in the best position to win possible.  Green did his job tonight - the team was in a very solid position to win that game - the rest - like the giveaway 3rd goal, or Miller ripping the puck off the crossbar -  is literally out of his control.  That's hockey - that's sport - you don't always win the games you outplay your opponent.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

That’s not true. It’s about accountability. You make it sound like it’s Bennings first year on the job. He’s been here seven years. That’s a long time for any gm. He’s had very little success in that time. You can’t be going back and forth as an organization and expect to be contenders.

Imo, the general trend for the team is still up and JB (as a first time GM) has made alot of mistakes with hindsight but with some context those same decisions did make sense when he made them.  Hope JB gets a chance to win with this core (also look at Poile & McPhee how long they were GM for these respective teams) and learns from his mistakes moving forward. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Imo, the general trend for the team is still up and JB (as a first time GM) has made alot of mistakes with hindsight but with some context those same decisions did make sense when he made them.  Hope JB gets a chance to win with this core (also look at Poile & McPhee how long they were GM for these respective teams) and learns from his mistakes moving forward. 

You realize that we are still in cap trouble next year? It’s not going to end anytime soon. Bad contracts are going to hold this team back. That’s on Benning.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, guntrix said:

It’s Green’s fault, just like the Hitmen and Willie were responsible before for Jake not realizing his full potential. I personally have to point the finger at Myers for not making sure Jake was ready to go, and maybe Jake’s mom for not making sure he ate his veggies. 

JV needs some brain food and perhaps the team needs to call The Roxy to make him earn his time there....

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

That’s not true. It’s about accountability. You make it sound like it’s Bennings first year on the job. He’s been here seven years. That’s a long time for any gm. He’s had very little success in that time. You can’t be going back and forth as an organization and expect to be contenders. 

It’s a 100% true. How do I make it sound like it’s Bennings first day on the job. This has been going on long before Benning was a GM. Ever since I started watching hockey. You got tankers and people that just don’t like what a GM or coach is doing regardless of results.

Both the GM and Coach are in hot water. But that has nothing to do with my statement. I’m saying there are people that want to see the team lose so they can either prove their point or hope for lottery ticket imo 

30 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Sounds crazy but the playoffs aren’t outta reach you just gotta beat the right teams in this type of format. Lots of games against Winnipeg, Calgary, Oilers.

I’m staying positive folks. It’s no fun for me otherwise 

The four game series with the Flames... if we go 3-1, we are back in the race.

Each game is a 4 point game.

Continue playing like we did tonight, focus on limiting mistakes, and we will be fine. 

Go back to playing sloppy hockey, we will be going for the draft lottery.

• Like 1

Just now, nuck-lifer said:

I wonder if 3 days between games  here, no b2B's for the rest of the month, not facing top 2 teams in Canada ... will impact this team

predict we will play above 500 against teams in our own league for the rest of Feb anyway

Let’s hope we blow Calgary out the first game and marky is shaky for the rest of the series lol 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

You realize that we are still in cap trouble next year? It’s not going to end anytime soon. Bad contracts are going to hold this team back. That’s on Benning.

Didn't say it was not JB who put himself in the corner but Iam sure he didn't foresee that it would had turned out this way - hindsight.  I still hope he stays and wins with his core; i would argue where is Weisbrod in all of this since he was a previous GM.   

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

It’s a 100% true. How do I make it sound like it’s Bennings first day on the job. This has been going on long before Benning was a GM. Ever since I started watching hockey. You got tankers and people that just don’t like what a GM or coach is doing regardless of results.

Both the GM and Coach are in hot water. But that has nothing to do with my statement. I’m saying there are people that want to see the team lose so they can either prove their point or hope for lottery ticket imo 

I see what your saying. I am just frustrated that he can be incompetent in important areas. Blantant incompetence like the Toffoli situation. Which is embarrassing. You want to hold the organization in high regard but he comes out and says things like he  ran out of time. It’s not acceptable and shouldn’t be. He just doesn’t seem very bright and it seems like he gets taken advantage of.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82