The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

While the article looks interesting, does the dummy actually think that giving the Aquilini family an ultimatum of “owing up to it or selling the team” is a good idea? 

I think it’s more along the lines of the fan base wants some accountability from management and ownership. 

• Vintage 1

Just for the record, I think Holtby has been awesome, and he's been a stalwart despite the rest of the team throwing him under the bus. My player of the year right now. He's trying to do the right things and I can tell he cares but he's getting less than zero support.

10 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:
18 hours ago, the harry said:

Stecher with 2 assists and +2.

Oh wait, we let him walk for nothing...

Yikes!

Ya, now he has a whopping 3 points in 13 games.

It goes to show just how bad this team's defence was last year, that he was that important and he is marginal in Detroit

16 minutes ago, Pickly said:
25 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL I'm a pretty big fan. 

I was pissed at the Erikson signing, and some of the vets like Sutter, Rousel, Beagle but he's hit home runs at the draft and when you look at the big picture, we have a tremendously talented young core, all the garbage contracts are expiring in 1-2 years and will have tons of cap space

I think in 2 years, we'll be a contender. Did you expect us to win the cup this season? 

In 2 years time that will be year 9 for JB and quite honestly, until this team can start icing legitimate NHL defenceman, which JB has neglected to address in his first 7 years at the helm, I don't see this team being any more of a contender than what we see seeing right now

Signing multiple aging FA forwards was ignoring Tanev and Edler aging out. Stecher was a bandaid. Myers was his only defence signing.

Markstrom covered up a lot of mistakes but fans ignored or didn't understand what they were seeing, distracted by Hughes or Pettersson talk.

Today's game will be very challenging for them, in a funk, can't get together and work it out, phone calls just aren't the same. Depression for some players can be a ral thing, especially Miller. Total isolated from his family, always.I  posted before he might not want to be here, it isn't like he had any control of the trade and he lost millions to taxes and family contact. After he had signed a home town discount.

Covid can be killing the mental health of the team, some players much more than others

BTW lots of talk about not being able to trade. That is a very narrow and simple minded approach the media is trying feed the lemmings. True there would be a time lag but if they are trading it is likely a player not contributing so missing him for 2 weeks doesn't hurt that much. AS AN EXAMPLE ONLY - Virtanen sits for a week, how much did that hurt? What is another week then?

They lose today again, they are so fragile. But I do see 3 fights maybe 4.

10 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

No management tried to shortcut our rebuild and shot himself in the foot. We just stepped back a few years. And now a 99% chance Benning is out of a job. 

LOL how did we shortcut a rebuild? 

Have you not seen the players we drafted the past 5 years? 

I initially thought we were short cutting a rebuild when we signed all the vets but who would we have dressed if not them? 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

You can't compare what these 2 bring to the ice. Also IMO Myers > Stetch

When you're talking contracts you can.  Stecher @ 1.7 million > Myers @ 6 million IMO.  Means we have 4+ million more to spend on our awful bottom 6.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

LOL how did we shortcut a rebuild? 

Have you not seen the players we drafted the past 5 years? 

I initially thought we were short cutting a rebuild when we signed all the vets but who would we have dressed if not them? 

Yah drafting is half the battle

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

When you're talking contracts you can.  Stecher @ 1.7 million > Myers @ 6 million IMO.  Means we have 4+ million to spend on our awful bottom 6.

This is true money wise. I mean Myers is a better player and brings more to the team. Is he overpaid? IMO yes. Would I rather have Stetcher, no.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, GritGrinder said:

Also if JB had signed Nate Schmidt to a 5yr $30m contract as a UFA people would have freaked. But give up a 3rd rounder for him and he seems to get a pass.

We needed to replace Stecher and Tanev. Can’t have Rafferty, Breisbos, and Chatfield as regulars. 

Another game day, as usual, filled with renewed, near-religious belief that somehow, a vaccine will appear to cure our team's pandemic malaise.

Onto my third coffee, and that spirit's already waning after searching for a video clip of a Memesso goal to post into that "show your favourite

overtime goal' thread.  It was the one where he burst into tears celebrating it.  Couldn't find it - though a play-off goal, it wasn't an overtime

winner.  Apparently.  Fact checking memories appear to prove them, let's say, quite selective.

What I did find was many, many many clips of Sergio fighting anybody and everybody, and not one of them staged either.  You watch and drool

until you weep yourself, as you reflect upon the wiltering weeds of our present roster.  What's odd, is that I don't recall Memesso even being our

tough guy.  Stacked with others, I do know this - beanpoles like Simmonds would now be in a cast after a cheap shot on puck-mover Lumme.

Instead, he's allowed to walk out and emulate a sniper, taking advantage of the gaping black holes above Holtby's shoulders.

Quinn must have built his '91-96 squad by a character-first basis, because when not punching opponents we constantly punched above our weight.

Vancouver hasn't moved its geography in the years since, so team travel is still the same disadvantage and games were unbelievably more physical

so Green's whole 'tired' arguement, is a crock and he knows it.  He just can't admit obviously, that the horses given him byJB aren't willing or able to

pull this broken, sad cart along when roads get rocky.

That Canucks seem hell-bent on regularly shipping out character is made even more peculiar, given that Benning played with plenty himself.  Ending

this rant with a brief backbone comparison, a team spine if you will:

Goalie    -  McLean  

Captain  -  Linden

Star        -  Bure

None of these knew quit.  But when teams messed with any of these, you'd see without a second thought, a Diduck, Dirk, Hunter, Peca, Babych, and

or even Murzyn arrive (in his own time) for some frontier justice.  Of course, they'd have to beat Gino to it.  If Momesso hadn't already set about 'em.

We have no-one remotely with such character on the present roster, none in the pipeline and seemingly, will continually choose not to draft one.  Worse,

if one does miraculously fall our way, we'll trade him because of some minor defficiency and we don't have the coaching skills to help him improve.

Good times.  Change a'coming.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Wayne Glensky said:

We needed to replace Stecher and Tanev. Can’t have Rafferty, Breisbos, and Chatfield as regulars. 

Not my point. JB gets crucified on here for signing Myers to a 5x$6m contract on a daily basis and the acquisition of Schmidt is even worse because of the 3rd rounder. I know its a small sample size but so far Schmidt offers little to nothing and him and Myers are not worth anything close to $6m.

ill be damned if theres no rebound tonight.....gotta turn at some point. Good to see juolevi back, our D is missing both stecher and Tanevs speed and Defensive capacity. imo thats our weakest link. We need to tighten the D and win by a single goal. Nucks win 3-2

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, GritGrinder said:

Not my point. JB gets crucified on here for signing Myers to a 5x$6m contract on a daily basis and the acquisition of Schmidt is even worse because of the 3rd rounder. I know its a small sample size but so far Schmidt offers little to nothing and him and Myers are not worth anything close to $6m.

So what are you implying ? We shouldn’t have traded for him? I’m not worried about Schmidt  as he will find his place on this team. What other choice did we have? 

• Vintage 1