The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

19 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

So he told Nonis and Gillis what to do too?

Don't know why people feel the need to blame the owner unfounded?

It's not a blame if I owned them I'd start at center.

Yes I think he told Gillis and Nonis what to do.  They own the team. I think they approve major signings ( mostly cash flow) and whether or not to rebuild. They pay the bills it's their call.

Edited by Chris12345
  • Hydration 2
1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

You've used that one before old gonch. Maybe bed time?

1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Lol. You should try to stick to hockey comments and not just attacking other posters. Old drawers.

Pot meet kettle

• Vintage 1
9 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

That’s the spirit G could be to our advantage

Well, it certainly can't hurt. Even looking at the remainder of February, the Canucks have 1 road game, and 7 home games in the span of 20 nights, and the road game is to Calgary. Even if all of the coaching staff were to be fired, the Canucks would have a lot of time to (hopefully) get things organized.

It does suck that the schedule couldn't be a bit better. I do see it that the Canucks are (once again) screwed some by how the season is planned (not a conspiracy theory)..It's only lately that some teams are starting to catch up in games played.

regards,  G.

52 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I'd just say that IMO its not that they are losing their buddies.   I think they were pissed off that the veteran core of the team was ripped off the team. It's that they want to win a Cup at some point in their careers.  And the GM not only did not improve the team, he flubbed up and made it worse.  Misread how anxious Toffoli, Tanev, and Stecher would be in this shortened COVID season.  All of them expressed disappointment in the lack of communication. Felt they weren't wanted.  That is a huge error by JB.  He may at one time, been good a finding prospects, but he is not a people person.  He failed to appreciate how desperate they felt and how much time he could afford to let them wait in silence.

Toffoli should have been a  #1 priority.  Marky and even Tanev were long shots at what they were asking.  After wasting so many picks and prospects already, JB could absolutely not afford to just burn Madden + another second round pick. I'm sure players were assuming that too. Seriously, why would you trade for him with such precious commodities, especially for the Canucks with our stable, if you thought you couldn't re-sign him?  I certainly never regarded Toffoli as a rental. I don't know why Jim thought he could be treated like one.

Yeah they have to get over it. They probably are mostly. But you don't just turn off that kind of disappointment.  It doesn't help them to forget and move on when they face all that missing talent wearing a different jersey for multiple game series.  And losing. 

I would argue that the top-end of our defence has improved with the addition of Schmidt, and I also like Benning looking into OEL as well. In hindsight we now know how big an influence Tanev was on Hughes, but Tanev was also signed for a big number and his durability hasn’t been the greatest. Schmidt is an overall better player and better fit than Tanev moving forward, but Tanev and Hughes had undeniable chemistry and Tanev’s departure is sorely missed.

I agree that Toffoli should have been priority number 1 with the price we paid to acquire him. I’m not sure of the numbers, but I wonder if a Sutter buyout and not qualifying/signing Virtanen would have been enough to re-sign Toffoli. Then again, who knew Virtanen would be this bad after a career year last year. 

Regardless of the roster players on this team, this team is very Jekyll and Hyde. There is no consistency with our game, and our “system” — if we even have one — is easily exploited with a hard forecheck from the opposing team or even just a high opposing team forward at the offensive blue line to cause turnovers. Turnover city.

24 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Is it evil of me to hope the Flames get Covid just so the Canucks can reset?

As long as the ones who got it doesn't include Markstrom, Tanev, Leivo and Domingue

2 hours ago, EmilyM said:

It really sucks when your buddies move on, but they need to grow up if that’s what’s got them down. It happens to every team. It happens in any occupation! 

sad when you think about it. They kept Roussell, Beagle, Sutter and Virtanen over these guys....I believe a wise person knows who they now need to fire...immediately because more damage will be done if they don't

Just face it.  Canucks are in cap hell.  We got $12M (LE, Baertschi, Spooner, and Luongo recapture penalty) in dead cap space which could have gone a long way to make the team better.

• Hydration 1

The effectiveness of our forecheck varies so greatly from game to game that it leads me to believe it only works when players are well-rested and physically able to do what Green asks of them. It might explain why the dense schedule has hurt us so much. I almost get tired even just watching us play because it always seems like players are chasing the puck even when we're playing well. Other teams play seem to play much more efficiently.

I also think the way we play forces our defensemen very often to make plays under intense pressure from fast incoming forecheckers, much more so than what we do other teams' defensemen. This might explain why Schmidt was so effective with Vegas but has looked much less so here.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

It’s good to look back and see where we came from and the reasons for it. A lot of the problems stem from trying to cut corners to remain competitive. It was all money related and greed.

I agree.  I've been waiting 50 years.  I saw the close ones in 1982, 1994 and 2011.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." ... According to Santayana's philosophy, history repeats.  :)

I'm tired of mistakes made.  It's time to learn from our mistakes.  Linden was right - we should've gone full rebuild.  Within the next two years, we can still go full rebuild and keep our good young under 25 players plus Bo.

Edited by sockeye
Just now, Elias_Pettersson said:

Lol is this legit 

i doubt it, probs just a media clown looking for attention, like the van media

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

The radio personalities in this city are completely useless, aside from Hirsh and Rintoul.  They all wanted Tanev, Stetch, Marky let go and replaced by younger inexperienced Utica players and now theyre crying about it.  

yeah why have a farm at all? I mean we just got it recently, might as well sell it as usual and have no depth but a "good" team, does that remind you of the last 40 years at all? it should! lmao... omg I'm glad that's over but Markstrom is getting older and Tanev as well but I'm ok with a younger and less injury prone Smitty any day of the week and I trust in our goalie coach to bring Demko along to be a formidable wall as he usually does so it was a mute point anyway and Stech was simply a 3rd pairing dman so not that hard to replace BUT you know how the media you speak of usually reacts, you know, the same ones who questioned if Petey was too "slight" and we got robbed silly with JT Miller...

Man who hires these people??

2 hours ago, 1-d said:

Vegas will do that in a heartbeat if they can afford his salary.

lol its insane, how people are bashing him already with how the entire team is struggling, losing streaks making people go crazy.

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP