The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Toronto Maple Laffs | February 8, 2021 | 4 p.m. PT | TVAS, SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

There's no sense in the Aquilinis doing anything to this team until the season is over. Let it play out as it will. Let the cream rise to the top, and let the floaters show themselves for who they are. 

As others have mentioned, the stupid pandemic would affect the timeframe of a new coaching staff getting set up, and would be similar regarding a new GM. 

There's plenty of time to determine the future of the team in what will be an extended offseason. With what are some very solid foundational pieces in place, it would be wise for the owners to give this team the best possible staff going forward. I don't see present management or coaching staff providing that.

there risk in all good canidates being gone, and then where stuck with dale tallon

51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And it's not like the team wasn't warned and there is no way they don't have the grade two arithmetic skills to figure out not everyone was staying.   JB warned the public just in case, a lot seemed to have missed the memo.   Funny thing is i bet if we kept them, and we weren't doing so well, the complaining would still persist but this time on why we signed them again.    Team wasn't good enough.   Didn't keep players that the team was still not good enough on.    JB might lose his job, but he set the team on the correct course given the circumstances, and for sure he's part of the reason we were in those circumstances too.    Blame him for drafting well, and signing so-so and trading ok.    Water under the bridge.    

You bring up a good point, which some of us already realized. No matter what, Benning was going to get crapped on. This fanbase is so toxic, I estimate at least a third of the fanbase wants the team to fail. The reason for this is that they could say they were 'right' from the very beginning. It doesn't surprise me if they swap positions just to feed their egos.

People are so focussed on Benning gone that they'll make excuses for Green, even though Green SHOULD have an equal amount of responsibility for not making the appropriate adjustments, particular the in-game ones. Firing Benning doesn't change the fact that the team is losing. Firing the coach might though. Yet people will just say that the coach was "doing the best he was given", in order to support the argument that Benning should be fired.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Trevor Linden?

Stan Smyl?
Chris Higgins?
Pat Quinn?

I mean if we are grasping at straws, even Baumgartner.

touche'

OK

Talon for Pres

Nill for GM

Lever for Coach

with Burrows and Bieksa

and Luongo as special  goalie developement advisor

Delorme as head of scouting 

and Hairy Kneal for mascot

stop comparing us to the OIlers!!!

Edited by lmm

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

They're professionals. They're paid millions of dollars to work with other professionals. Big trades/departures are made every season. You're telling me they'll throw a hissy fit because their friends are gone? Come on. This isn't high school. should be a politician.  Many people are saying this. 

Not what I said,  it has zero to do with friendship. Players have friends on other teams. Players change teams. It’s part of the business. It’s about winning for pro athletes, especially sports with such small windows.

I’d like to believe you that 20 something NHL players are such emotional deprived robots that they never let a disagreement or disappointment with management affect their mindset, but history tells me otherwise.

Again, they should have sucked it up by now.  But to say that when they started the season they did not feel any shock or disappointment is unrealistic

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

To be honest, I kind of am worried. He's poor defensively not because he lacks the technical aspect. He's poor because he lacks effort. Defensemen who are invested into defense are constantly turning their heads looking for plays to shut down or men to mark, have the ability to communicate the system to their teammates so avoid confusion, actively look to take away sticks at all times, etc. 

With Hughes, he just stares at the puck unless another player gets in between him and the puck. Rarely do you see the kid look behind him or look to his side to see if there's an open man. It's not about getting the timing down and learning how to control gaps against the fastest players. He's fundamentally not even aware of what's going on around him and that's what makes him horrible defensively. 

Wat?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Dazzle said:

I didn't misread it. I knew what you meant, but disagreed with you. I believe the coaches bear an equal responsibility which you've evidently freed them of.

I wasn’t discounting any responsibility from the staff; if you re read my post, my main point is that it falls on the coaches to put it all together by creating the structure/system that the players will be implementing on & off the ice despite the talent level on the roster.   

1 hour ago, Merely said:

Anyone saying fire Benning needs to give their head a shake. He's the best drafting GM we ever had. He will learn from those Myers contracts 

I like his drafting but he needa to stop the overpaid contracts that dont even line up for the team and those reclaimation projects        (gudbranson, del zotto, baertschi, hamonic)

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1